5 Gallon Gas Container Under Truck Tonneau

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott 3

Is it safe to keep a full 5 gallon gas container under the tonneau cover of a truck? 

I always keep extra fuel in a jerry can in the box of my truck in my gasser and my diesel. Half the time the cover is closed and half the time its open every 6 months or so i dump them into the tank and refill them. Ive never had an issue

It is not as safe as having it out from under the cover.  I personally only keep gas in a well ventilated area. I also do not carry it against the cab of the truck. That is me. You should do what you are comfortable with.

Thanks everyone.  I've driven gas containers to the gas station and back in SUVs for years but those are short trips.  I will be using my generator next weekend and going out West in July.  Having never owned a truck before, I am a little concerned about the container baking under the tonneau on long trips.

I carry two 5 gallon cans sitting in a rubber tub to stabilize them. While I'm not a fan of the new style spouts, I've had mine sitting in full sun and they don't vent

Keep it full and sealed. A partially filled tank will swell up due to heat and a vented tank will allow fumes to collect in a confined space. Neither are desirable. Also remember when filling a plastic container with gas, remove it from the bed of the truck before turning the pump on. Bedliners create a lot of static charge and can cause trouble.

Arch Hoagland said:
For those of you who carry spare gasoline....I'm curious how often you actually use that spare gas and under what circumstances.
I've never used mine. Ran thin one day and have carried extra since. It's also standby for the generator so if I lost shore power, wanted to dry camp or just otherwise needed it I have a few days of generator fuel.

I carry mine in the bed under the tonneau cover....So far no problem.

As far as using it.

We pulled off the interstate to get gas and the only gas station seemed a little high. My wife pulled up gas buddy and the next station was pushing our luck...I smiled and reminded my wife about the gas in the bed of the truck. And off we went to the next station.

The first place was 50 cents higher per gallon.

Gizmo100 said:
We pulled off the interstate to get gas and the only gas station seemed a little high. My wife pulled up gas buddy and the next station was pushing our luck...I smiled and reminded my wife about the gas in the bed of the truck. And off we went to the next station.

The first place was 50 cents higher per gallon.

So?  Buy $10 or so worth of gas from that high priced place, enough to give you a comfortable cushion to get to the lower priced station.  Nothing says you have to fill up your tank every time you stop.

Major trucking companies do this all the time.  If fuel costs less down the road, they'll often tell their drivers to buy only a limited amount of fuel at a stop, then fill up later where the price is lower.

The only exception is a place like the Alaskan Highway, where there have been reports of isolated stations refusing to sell less than a full tank at a time.

I carry 2 five gallon metal cans strapped in the back of truck sitting in a plastic container to hold them. It is fuel for our generator and emergency fuel. At the end of our trip and back home I put the gas in the truck. Works fine for me .

Arch Hoagland said:
For those of you who carry spare gasoline....I'm curious how often you actually use that spare gas and under what circumstances.

three 5 gallon NATO style metal gerry cans, always in the back of the truck.
two are diesel, one is gasoline.
gas one is used for generator, the diesel occasionally when off road and the truck
is getting a little low..

Lou Schneider said:
So?  Buy $10 or so worth of gas from that high priced place, enough to give you a comfortable cushion to get to the lower priced station.  Nothing says you have to fill up your tank every time you stop.

Major trucking companies do this all the time.  If fuel costs less down the road, they'll often tell their drivers to buy only a limited amount of fuel at a stop, then fill up later where the price is lower.

The only exception is a place like the Alaskan Highway, where there have been reports of isolated stations refusing to sell less than a full tank at a time.

My issue was taking advantage of people. As it worked out we never touched the extra gas. When I did fill up it was 34 gallons. I would never have pushed it that far if I didn't have the extra fuel for the generator.

But if needed I would bite the bullet and get enough to get to a better price.

Just for the record I don't mind paying a little more but not that much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom