Stay Alert Out There

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou Schneider said:
I blame the video game culture for the growing number of aggressive (stupid) drivers on the road.  If you spend your formative years playing adrenaline rush road racing or combat games those attitudes are almost certainly going to affect your real life.

I'm with you on this Lou.  I've also said that I believe that those combat games are to blame for the rise in mass shootings by young people.  Play enough of those "blast 'em all" games and they loose touch with what it really means to pull a trigger or side swipe a car off the road.

John From Detroit said:
Some of these no hands cell phone laws concern me because I'm not using a cell phone (At least not as a phone) when driving. Oh it may be mY GPS or my car radio (WTWW.US  Listen  TRANSMITTER 2) and of course it is the internet interface for another device I don't even touch or look at (It is behind the seat when I drive) but the Icom ID-51 2-way Radio I have a FEDERAL LICENSE to use (Requried) is not a phone. but it can be cordless.

Now the ID-5100 (which is another Icom radio I'm licenesed to use) has a corded microphonethat does not look like a cell phone.

But I worry smokey may not understandthe difference.

Oh well Fix that wed. Get the hand mic for the ID-51

It's call distracted driving John, and it can be a cell phone, a Big Mac, or some fancy 2 way radio.  There really isn't any difference.
It irritates the crap out of my wife that I'll go through a drive-through to get my lunch and then sit in the parking lot and eat it.  I finally started parking and going into most restaurants.  If there's too many kids running wild, we'll get our order to go and go back and sit in the car to eat. 

Thanks for the comments, tips and concerns.  We're in the Smokies now enjoying the great outdoors...

I wanted to add that calling 911 should be one of the first things you or your copilot does, even in a minor accident like ours.  Like Joezeppy alluded to, if given the opportunity the at-fault driver will twist the story in their favor.  Having a Trooper show up will give you and the accident scene a chance to tell the true story.

And last but not least, Florida State Trooper, Brett Pittman could not have been nicer.  Big strapping young guy with a great attitude and sense of humor.

Phil & Karen

Attached is the comment from the eyewitness of our near-serious accident...much thanks to the eyewitness for calling the Florida State Troopers. 

Attachments

• 5-13-19eyewitness.jpg
    5-13-19eyewitness.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 66
When I was a young man I drove tractor trailer for eight years.  One rainy night I was running with two friends on a four lane highway in central Minnesota.  I was number three in a three truck convoy, although we were space probably a hundred yards apart.  It was one in the morning when two young women passed me in the rain and pulled in behind the truck in  front of me.  Then they pulled out and passed him pulling in in front of him.  I didn't actually see what happened next, but learned later that they pulled out and passed the lead semi but when they pulled back in they caught his left bumper turning the car sideways and both trucks in front of me ran over the car.  I got stopped.

They both died.  Their car was crushed down to truck bumper level.  I could never figure out why on a four lane highway they kept pulling out to pass and then pulling back in line.  They could have just stayed in the left lane.

They were two young school teachers who had been playing Bingo in a nearby town on their way home.

We used to see a lot of accidents in those days, back in the sixties, but due to better highways not so many these days. 

Something like that really sobers you up.  No, no, I don't mean from drinking.

I have a dash cam set up in my class A RV.  It simply sits up there and watches the road and traffic.  It may be able to record the use of cell phone.  I can download 3 minute segments to my laptop.  The dash cam is made by Cobra.  I have some wild and crazy shots of people racing to get past the RV before a construction lane and the weaving driver trying to split the diff between vehicle in one lane to another ... as for the OP, but for the Grace of God, each one of us could have been you. 

My state has had a "hands free law" for over 10 years. It does nothing to stop people. 60-70% of people driving have a phone in thier hand and are texting or talking away. It's also very hard to enforce when your looking for something that fits in a persons hand while driving a full size, black and white car, with a red and blue light bar and reflective stickers that say SHERIFF.

You just have to watch out for the idiots because they are not watching anything. Also about 90% of people that cause a crash will lie and say the other person caused it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom