rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Help! Going to look at 1994 Dutchman Class C (Ford E350 7.5L V8)  (Read 182 times)

victorgator

Hey everyone -- I'm going to check out a 1994 Dutchman Class C Ford E350 7.5L V8 with 107K miles on it today.  It's being offered for $6500

I realize it is older and probably will need some work, especially at this price.  However, I was hoping someone here could help me look for the BIG issues that should make me run away.

Owner says all systems work and no issues with motor or transmission. 

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:30:46 AM by victorgator »

Back2PA

• Global Moderator
  • ---
Re: Help! Going to look at 1994 Dutchman Class C (Ford E350 7.5L V8)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 11:21:39 AM »
The biggest issue that should make you run away would be any evidence whatsoever of water intrusion. I strongly suggest you pay for a professional RV inspection so you know exactly what's going on
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 F-250 SD LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

House Husband

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 02:27:49 PM »
The twin "I" beam front suspension is unique. It's not well known for it's handling qualities. It can be made acceptable. When the front end moves up and down, the camber and toe in changes a considerable amount, thus contributing to a lot of driver input. Installing the stiffest shocks you can buy an setting the toe in to a strong positive will make that ol twin "I" beam acceptable with out creating a harsh ride.
I was in the front end business when the first twin "I" beams came on the market and we made many of our customers happy with what I've suggested here.

Kirk

• ---
  • Professional Volunteer
    • Kirk & Pam's Great Adventure!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 06:24:30 PM »
That is not a bargain price! You need to look it up in NADA and you will find that the average retail price is only $4000!
Good Travelin !..........Kirk
    Living the volunteer for site, lifestyle..
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

victorgator

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »
The twin "I" beam front suspension is unique. It's not well known for it's handling qualities. It can be made acceptable. When the front end moves up and down, the camber and toe in changes a considerable amount, thus contributing to a lot of driver input. Installing the stiffest shocks you can buy an setting the toe in to a strong positive will make that ol twin "I" beam acceptable with out creating a harsh ride.
I was in the front end business when the first twin "I" beams came on the market and we made many of our customers happy with what I've suggested here.

Thanks a bunch!  What type of shop would you suggest I take it to make these changes?

House Husband

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 09:57:42 PM »
Thanks a bunch!  What type of shop would you suggest I take it to make these changes?

Any shop that will take in a class C should be able to change the shocks. One of the better choices would be Rancho . Just ask for the meanest/stiffest shock Rancho makes.
Any one with a little front end knowledge can set the toe in with a tape measure. I like using two straight pins and rolling the vehicle back and forth to take the measurements. Never saw a tape measure get out of calibration. GRIN..... Or if you find a front end shop that can take in a class C, the camber can be check also.  Camber is usually not an issue unless the front springs have collapsed. I'm not sure if the 94 was ball joints or king pings. If ball joints, the caster and camber can be adjusted a little at additional expense. Changing the off set cones is a bear. It's been a long time since I peeked under a E350.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 08:58:16 AM »
Far to much money for a 25 year old "C" with 107k miles!  No more than $5000 if in great condition and probably more like $3500.

As House Husband says, that vintage of E350 is better known as "rugged" rather than quality ride & handling. And any E350 is going to be loaded near its max capability once an RV body is built on it, so don't expect to load a lot of additional stuff into it.

Check tire age as well as condition; 7-10 years of age is the useful life of a tire, regardless of tread wear.  Also check for signs of water intrusion. Class C's are notorious for leaks around the over-cab extension.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL