Need info Route 2 Macknaw Island MI to Kalispell MT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

After we leave Camp Newmar in Indiana, we are planning a northern route back to our home in Kalispell MT. 

We would like to go up to Mackinaw Island in Michigan.  Anyone ever been there?  Since no vehicles allowed on the Island itself, where do you camp?

Then what is it like going along route 2 through places like Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Deluth, Bemidji, Crookston, Grand Forks, Devil's Lake, Minot, and Williston.  Is the road good?  Any recommended camping spots along the way?  Are their any boondocking spots (after all what is a self-contained motorhome for)?

Once we hit Glasgow we are back in familiar territory.

Any suggestions, ideas and warningds, much appreciated.

All of the campgrounds in and around Mackinaw City have shuttle bus service to and from the ferry that goes to Mackinaw Island. They want to make sure you get to the island to spend those dollars.  ;D
We just had a thread on this subject a couple of months ago. I've got a CRS moment right now and can't remember the name of the campground I always stay at but it is in the thread I mentioned. There's a beautiful view of the Bridge from this campground.

Woody

Thanks alot Woody   You just reminded me of my slipping memory , cause when you mentioned the CG I told the wife Remember when we stayed there and she agreed  Now neither of us can remember either LOL

When Peg and I were there in 2000 we stayed at the Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground. Very big park. There was a thread on this at the end of May. Tim and Jan Lynch just stayed there. Do an advance search on "Where to stay near Mackinac Island?"

Enjoy your visit to the island. Peg and I spent all day there and really enjoyed ourselves.

along route 2

I did Route 2 from Minot to Mackinaw City several years ago and the only thing bad was the roads going through Duluth.  They were worse than the roads going to Alaska.  We just left Glacier and took 2 to Harve, MT. The bad part is getting through Havre MT  The road is under construction from the east end to the middle of town and there is no way around it.  Dirt, dust and rough. We leave in the morning for Wolf Point on 2 and if we run into anything we will let you know.

Smoky:

When you get to the bridge there is a great park on the south end of the bridge at Mackinaw City, don't know if you can get in but visit the restored fort there and then another state park on the east side of the north end of the bridge. The last time we were there was 12 years or so ago but there were one or two parks right near where you will catch the boat to the Island.

Also go up to Sault Ste Marie and across the street from the Soo Locks is a restaurant on the second floor looking out on the large ore boats going through the locks that had great white fish sandwiches. There is also the SS Valley Camp, an ore boat turned into a museum that is worth a visit.

Next stop should be Whitefish Point and the Shipwreck Museum that discusses the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and the other boats that have gone down in the treacherous storms of Lake Superior.

If you have the time Picture Rocks National Lake Shore is very scenic.

Thanks all for the info.  If someone can help mefind that other thread I would appreciate it.  My search function has never worked in all the years I have been on this forum.  I think it is a glitch in my computer.

See here for information on how search works.  The scope of the search depends on where you are when you start the search.

Smoky said:
Thanks all for the info.  If someone can help mefind that other thread I would appreciate it.  My search function has never worked in all the years I have been on this forum.  I think it is a glitch in my computer.

Smoky, just enter Mackinac in the search box.

Tim

Shayne said:
Thanks alot Woody   You just reminded me of my slipping memory , cause when you mentioned the CG I told the wife Remember when we stayed there and she agreed  Now neither of us can remember either LOL

AlaskanSnowBirds remembered, it was Mill Creek.

Woody

Smokey,

We did Highway 2 from west to east a couple of years ago and it was great.  A lot of countryside with farms and fields.  Most of the campgrounds we stayed in were "mom & pop" campgrounds so we met lots of neat people.  We didn't get a change to visit it, but we heard the Peach Garden is interesting.  When we crossed Canada from east to west last year we noticed the signs for the Peace Garden on the canadian side. 

Somewhere along the town of Rugby, ND  is a marker which signifies the "center of gravity" for North America.  Little tower kind of thing, but interesting to read. 

Great roads in North Dakota.  IF you have a chance stay in Duluth and take the tow car up the west side of lake superior.  The coastline is very pretty; not as dramatic as the coast of CA, but nice.  As you already know avoid Chicago.

In Sept we will be going back to Ft. Wayne/Angola Indiana but not on #2 to visit family then heading south down through AK and Texas heading back to CA.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
In Sept we will be going back to Ft. Wayne/Angola Indiana but not on #2 to visit family then heading south down through AK and Texas heading back to CA.

Marsha~

Marsha,

That is going to be one looong trip. It might be a shorter trip if you go through AR.  ;D ;D ;D

LOL Don!  ;D

Thanks Marsha, we will keep an eye out for the sights you mentioned.  We are really looking forward to a week or so of driving without any interstates to speed us up.  :D

Smoky said:
LOL Don!   ;D

Thanks Marsha, we will keep an eye out for the sights you mentioned.  We are really looking forward to a week or so of driving without any interstates to speed us up.   :D

Smoky,
Don't forget to turn left on 191 and head for Sam's Camp.

Tim & Jan said:
Smoky, just enter Mackinac in the search box.

Tim,

For clarification, that will only work if the topic being searched for is in the same message board that is being viewed when using Search. In fact, if you're viewing a topic, the simple search box will only find it if it's in that topic. If not, the only way it will be found is by using the Advanced search feature. That's why Ned pointed to the instructions for searching the forum. I suspect it's also the reason that Smoky hasn't had any success searching here.

These are behaviors of the different search features that I didn't fully understand until recently. (I don't know if they were always that way or if they changed with recent revs of the software.)

I can't get a result whether I use advanced or basic.  But I am going to keep a low profile now so I don't get called any names.  :D

Did you try Smoky? If so, what error message did you get? If you could grab a screenshot of the error message/page, it might help me figure out what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom