Need info Route 2 Macknaw Island MI to Kalispell MT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does it say "No results" Smoky? Trying to understand the symptoms before can start the autopsy.

Here's what I get if either search feature can't find what I'm looking for - see attached screenshot.

Attachments

• not_found.jpg
    not_found.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 13
Smoky said:
I put in Mackinaw in both basic and advanced and it cannot find anything.  No error messages.

Smoky, I just copied Mackinaw from your message entered itt into advance search changed the number of days to 0 to 360 and got three hits.

Smoky said:
I get what tom just showed in his example.

Ah, progress! Thanks Smoky, that's a lot better than "doesn't work for me".

BTW since you saw my screenshot, does that mean you were able to open/view an attachment?

Tom said:
Tim,

For clarification, that will only work if the topic being searched for is in the same message board that is being viewed when using Search. In fact, if you're viewing a topic, the simple search box will only find it if it's in that topic. If not, the only way it will be found is by using the Advanced search feature. That's why Ned pointed to the instructions for searching the forum. I suspect it's also the reason that Smoky hasn't had any success searching here.

Tom,

It seems that when entering Mackinac as instructed, not Mackinaw or Macknaw, while in the Destinations/Rv Park area or in the RV Forum Community area, the correct thread will be found along with any other that contains Mackinac.

I agree that you will get a different number of hits on Mackinac depending on where you are at when searching from, but I get the result that Smoky was looking for no matter how I search.

Tim

Tim & Jan said:
It seems that when entering Mackinac as instructed, not Mackinaw or Macknaw, while in the Destinations/Rv Park area or in the RV Forum Community area, the correct thread will be found along with any other that contains Mackinac.

Understood Tim. My point was that, if you try that in any of our other message boards, the simple search won't find any of the topics because it's context sensitive. Simple search is limited to what you're looking at - a specific topic, a specific message board, or the entire forum (aka "Forum Community").

If you try it while viewing this topic (not this board), you'll only find your messages and my replies. If you try while viewing this board, but not this specific topic, it won't find it.

Advanced Search is not context sensitive and, since Smoky has said numerous times that "search has never worked" for him, my clarification was meant to eliminate the possibility he might enter that information in the simple search box with no regard to the sensitivity.

Good catch Don regarding the AK instead of what I should have typed, AR.

Must have been an unconscious slip.   I've been telling my Tim that I really really want to go to Ak next year.

Marsha~

Tom:

Yes I saw your screenshot.

the point I have been trying to make is that it is only the first few attachments on Russ's Davis thread that cannot be viewed.  Only those.  This is what reminded me of the identical problem we had a few months ago.  Reinforced by the fact that a few others here have the same problem.  Only with those 3 (I think it is 3) attachments.  Some people see them, and some don't.  There is too much coincidence here to believe it is on the computer side, especially since it got fixed before with no changes on the computer side.

I have done all the suggestions made by various people here with no fix.  I think Ron D has done the same.

Tom said:
Understood Tim. My point was that, if you try that in any of our other message boards, the simple search won't find any of the topics because it's context sensitive. Simple search is limited to what you're looking at - a specific topic, a specific message board, or the entire forum (aka "Forum Community").

If you try it while viewing this topic (not this board), you'll only find your messages and my replies. If you try while viewing this board, but not this specific topic, it won't find it.

Advanced Search is not context sensitive and, since Smoky has said numerous times that "search has never worked" for him, my clarification was meant to eliminate the possibility he might enter that information in the simple search box with no regard to the sensitivity.

Thanks for the extra clarification.

Tim

Smoky,

We have stayed on Mackinac Island several times and if you have time to do that I think you would find it fun.  We always take our bikes over with us on the boat.  From about 6pm until 9am the next morning about 99.999999999% of the people are gone from the island and that is a great time period to explore.  To the west of Mackinaw City there is also Wilderness State Park that has camping and is right on the Straits of Mackinac.  If you don't mind primitive camping look at the many State Forest campgrounds on the south side of US-2 as you near the straits.  There are some nice ones within 30-45 minutes of St. Ignace and the St. Ignace also has several passenger ferries to the island.  On the south end of the bridge is the reconstructed Fort Michilimachinac and in our opinion is much more interesting then the fort on the island.

1)  Fort Mackinac on the island was held by the British, Americans, British (oops...War 1812), Americans
2)  Fort Michilimachinac was held by French, British, Indians (oops...Pontiac Rebelion), British

If you are going south down US-75 very good dinner food can be found in Gaylord at the Sugarbowl.  Breakfast....Erlene's Diner is the ONLY place to stop.  Get there home made bread/toast.

Have Good Traverls

Thanks Len and Jo.  Well we did Mackinac Isle today.  Boat ride on Sheplers was nice, even better was the carriage ride we shared with another couple.  Took us up on the hill past the Grand Hotel and all around the old homes.

In Mackinaw city we found two excellent places to dine.  The Lighthouse was awesome with some of the finest food we have ever had.  Pricey but worth every penny.  And for great cheap eats we enjoyed the pasties at Mackinaw City Pastie and Cookie place.  A pastie makes one of the most satisfying and filling meal we have ever had.  We are first timers on pasties.

Tomorrow we head out for the west, first moving along the Upper Peninsula.

If you take 28 along the south shore of Lake Superior, Marquette has good places for eats.  The Swee****er Cafe is 5 stars in our book and Veiling's on the water front is 4 star with a great view.  Joanne is a pastie lover and 'expert'.  They are a good meal, Cornish miner lunch fair.  Any time we are "up north" we have to have them at least once.

Len and Jo said:
...Cornish miner lunch fair.

Len,

FYI there are several varieties of pasty (pasties) besides Cornish. I grew up on various Welsh versions, although Cornish pasties are my favorite. They taste quite different.

Some trivia: Cornish pasties were made to feed Cornish tin miners while they were in the mines. Similarly, Welsh pasties fed Welsh coal miners.

Joanne claims that if they don't have rutabaga......well the world might end.  She doesn't make them but her mother who came from the U.P. did.  Lot of Cornish in the U.P. , they came over to mine copper and be poor.

Smokey,

Michigan has great state parks.  We got an annual pass and it paid for itself.  The Upper Peninsula is beautiful and I assume you're going that way.  Up at the tip is a wonderful seafaring museum and the memorial to the Edmund B. Fitzgerald that went down with all aboard lost.

ArdraF

What ArdraF is refering to is White Fish Point.  Highway 123 gets you almost there but then turns west at the village of Paradise.  In Paradise on the east side of 123 there is a little cafe that has very good home made pasties.  Lot of locals go there....many have their own coffee mugs behind the counter.  Just 5-6 small round tables in the place w many locals drinking coffee.

Smoky,

If you have a few days stay some extra days around Duluth.  We stayed at Ogston's RV Park west of the City on or near Highway 2.  From there we spent one day touring around the city enjoying its old history and another day along Lake Superior to the North.  We spend several hours at a state park (Gooseberry Falls I think that was very nice and had a planked trail down to the lake.  Don't forget to try the Walleye..tim

Back
Top Bottom