Re-Sealing Aluminum Conversion Van Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kuser

Hey everyone,

Did a thorough search and couldn't find an exact answer...hopefully the knowledge of this forum can help!

Hittin' the road in a 1979 Chevy conversion van soon and was re-sealing the roof today. For those not familiar the shell of the van is aluminum with a seam that runs right down the middle where the two halves meet. Down this seam there is a long line of screws from the front to the back holding up a middle support joist. Put new stainless screws in down the line today with a polyurethane sealant pumped into the holes and screws coated with it as well, and put a little extra on top over and around the screw head.

So the question is - can I coat the top of the screws with Dicor lap sealant over top of the polyurethane already sitting on the screws to ensure a full-seal or will the Dicor not set well on the poly? Also have cans of "Kool Seal" elastomeric coating; was thinking about just drenching the entire seam (screws included) in that.

Hopefully the pics attached work! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 11
Haha yeah once all the screws are sealed up the roof is getting a MUCH needed bath....then a full application of the Kool Seal!

And thanks Gary, will give a test application today, wait a day and see how it's holding. I'll keep the post updated, hopefully it clings no problem and I'll be looking at a dry summer!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom