rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Towing on Moki Dugway  (Read 531 times)

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
Towing on Moki Dugway
« on: May 21, 2019, 04:32:16 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has ever towed their trailer or 5th wheel on the Moki Dugway?

I drove it today (not towing) and met a 5th wheel coming down. It was on the lower part, so there was room to pass. But the part above the last switchback is pretty narrow. I think Iíd be nervous towing over it.
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat
http://www.debsrvtravels.com

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
Re: Towing on Moki Dugway
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »
I drove my 23' Class A towing my Ford Bronco II on the Moki Dugway a couple of years ago but I wouldn't recommend it for anything larger.  Like you said, the turns are tight and since you're on dirt your traction is limited.

BTW, uphill traffic has the right of way as a general rule because backing downhill is dangerous, especially with a trailer.  For one thing, your trailer brakes work by dragging a magnet along the rotating drum to drive a cam that forces the brake shoes outward.

The brake cam does have a limited amount of travel in the opposite direction, but not as much as going forward.  And if you have an aftermarket brake controller (Prodigy, etc.) that uses an inertial sensor it only measures the deceleration in a forward direction, so it won't apply the trailer brakes when you're going in reverse unless you have the presence of mind to grab the manual application handle.

Neither will a surge braking system, as dramatically demonstrated in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAfZ1N56qjY

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:24:33 PM by Lou Schneider »

beaverfever

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 07:20:09 PM »
tour buses drive it all the time with out any problem. i would be concerned about all the washboards than the width.

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 08:31:37 PM »
Well you all are braver than I am, haha! I was doing good just to drive it in my truck. Narrow roads make me nervous. This one wasnít too bad as it is mostly wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass, except for the top section after the last switchback. Iím glad I didnít meet him on that part. Iím pretty sure I wonít be towing on that road though.

Lou, thanks for the explanation on how the brakes work (or donít work) when backing up. I didnít know that.
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 06:27:53 PM »
Dry the road is OK.  Very important to watch closely to not meet on coming traffic on the sharp corners of the switch backs.  Plenty of room for 2 vehicles to pass on the straight sections.   Not a relaxing drive. 

It is easy enough to take the route around.  It is only about 50 extra miles or less to go the paved route.
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4
650 watts residential solar panels--400AH Lithium batteries

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 09:19:21 PM »
We saw an RV at the bottom last year unhooking their TV before heading up.

Hope you visited Muley Point for the incredible views!
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Travelling in the US till Nov 2019

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 09:36:48 PM »

Here someone from Scotland has driven on the US's own Moki Dugway and been to Muley Point, and I was today years old when I first heard of those places. I need to get out more.  :-\

;)
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 11:28:55 AM »

Here someone from Scotland has driven on the US's own Moki Dugway and been to Muley Point, and I was today years old when I first heard of those places. I need to get out more.  :-\

;)
We are very lucky to be able to explore your incredible country. I'm sure there are millions of places we have not seen but we are doing our best to see a lot whilst we are still able. We have favourite places that we return to but always try to experience something  and somewhere new.

I think folks often don't explore their own country choosing to go elsewhere. I haven't seen much of my own part of the planet I must admit. I haven't even been to Edinburgh Castle and it's only 40 minutes away.

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 11:31:24 AM »
I think folks often don't explore their own country choosing to go elsewhere. I haven't seen much of my own part of the planet I must admit. I haven't even been to Edinburgh Castle and it's only 40 minutes away.

Maybe I'll buzz over to Edinburgh and we can exchange tourist pictures!  ;)
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 11:40:23 AM »

Maybe I'll buzz over to Edinburgh and we can exchange tourist pictures!  ;)
Feel free, we will happily have you stay with us and be your guides. You would need to come during our winter or spring!,

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 12:44:16 PM »
We saw an RV at the bottom last year unhooking their TV before heading up.

I did, and the views were incredible! This whole area is beautiful.
I would love to visit Scotland. Iím descended from some Scots who immigrated in early 1700s. Last name was Rankin. Maybe Iím related to the author Ian 😀. I have been reading his Inspector Rebus books. I do a lot of googling to look up his Scottish colloquialisms. Some I find and some I donít!
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 06:07:27 PM »
I did, and the views were incredible! This whole area is beautiful.
I would love to visit Scotland. Iím descended from some Scots who immigrated in early 1700s. Last name was Rankin. Maybe Iím related to the author Ian 😀. I have been reading his Inspector Rebus books. I do a lot of googling to look up his Scottish colloquialisms. Some I find and some I donít!

Ooh that is a great photo.

Be good if you were related.

You are welcome to visit us too 😁