Top dolly speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was looking at the state maximums and there are states whose maximum speed while towing is 70, 75, even 80mph. That's crazy to me. I can't imagine driving my RV pulling a toad going 80mph. Not only for safety, but $$$  I think 60 is a good top speed, maybe push it to 65 if you're super experienced and in a hurry and it's a straight empty road with no wind lol otherwise, I'll waving as you pass me because 80 is way more than I'm comfortable with!

You are 100% my opinion as well Amanda.  I just shake my head when someone passes me by towing a trailer of some sort doing 75 or 80 mph.  The industry standard for ST tires is 65 mph, but I guess they didn't get that memo.
But I have passed numerous rigs on the side of the road with shredded trailer tires. 

You must not have driven here lately. On I-5 in the central valley 2 weeks ago, no one was going 55, towing or not. 65-70 was generally the flow of traffic for everyone, the limit was 70, and the occasional idiot going 80 or more.  It's the same on 101, except around here the limit is 65, and no one goes 55.

Two years ago and I still went 55 - 60 mph.  As for 101, isn't the speed limit there also 55 when towing?

RVMommaTo6 said:
I was looking at the state maximums and there are states whose maximum speed while towing is 70, 75, even 80mph. That's crazy to me. I can't imagine driving my RV pulling a toad going 80mph. Not only for safety, but $$$  I think 60 is a good top speed, maybe push it to 65 if you're super experienced and in a hurry and it's a straight empty road with no wind lol otherwise, I'll waving as you pass me because 80 is way more than I'm comfortable with!

Wise beyond your years!!

When pulling the FW, cruise is set at 62.  Pass if you wish!  For all the reasons listed!

Last fall, as we left Arizona and crossed over into Cali, I heard a trucker on the CB tell another one that he could probably do 10 over without getting hassled.
I normally run 62 mph on the interstate, so at that point I bumped the cruise up to 62.  Since November I've driven almost 1100 miles on California interstates at 62 mph.  I've passed and been passed by a number of CHP's with no problem.  I've had guys with giant 5'ers blow by me several times and I figure any cop up ahead will be busy with them when I pass by at 62.

I rotate my big-screen to point out the back window of my TT when towing and normally route the signal from a front-facing camera to it to create a "cloaking device" that allows those behind me to see what's going on ahead of me, especially when they want to pass.

If someone insists on tailgating me, flashing their lights, sounding their horn, etc., I have some pre-typed messages on a computer that cycle, and I can switch in that video to the big-screen.  The messages include, "I May Be Slow, But I'm Ahead Of YOU!", "Please Just Get It Over With And Pass Me ... While That 18-Wheeler Is Coming The Other Way!", "Please Pass ... Blind Driver In This Vehicle!", "Don't Follow Me ... I'm Behind a Highway Patrol Vehicle!", "If You Feel Like You're Going Slow ... See Einstein's Theory Of Relativity ... The Planet Is Just Rotating Faster In The Other Direction Under You!", "My Cell Phone Number Is XXX-XXX-XXXX ... Please Call For Customer Service!" (which is actually the non-toll-free number for the Highway Patrol), "Why Did The Chicken Cross The Road?  To Keep Us Going This Slow!", "Distance Remaining To [destination ahead] XXX Miles ... YYY Miles [a much larger number than XXX] Counting The Potholes!", "Rear-View Camera Live Streaming Directly To The Highway Patrol.", "Huh ... The Speed Limit Is The Same As Your IQ!", "Don't Blame Me ... Blame The A$$HOLE Behind Me!", "Passenger ... Please Tell Your Driver To Pull His Cranium Out Of His Rectum ... Then Explain What A Cranium And A Rectum Are To Them.", "If You Can Read This ... Then I've Mistaken What Non-human Great Ape Species You Are.", and so forth.

Reactions as people pass me range from thumbs-ups from those with a sense of humor, to non-index-finger "salutes" ...

jim_manley said:
Reactions as people pass me range from thumbs-ups from those with a sense of humor, to non-index-finger "salutes" ...

It's the "non sense of humor" types that concern me. Too many nutty people out there these days. I just stay to the right and let them pass without making eye contact.  I have seen the aftermath of too many "incidents".

SargeW said:
It's the "non sense of humor" types that concern me. Too many nutty people out there these days. I just stay to the right and let them pass without making eye contact.  I have seen the aftermath of too many "incidents".
You got that right Sarge. Ever since I moved to Florida I am the most respectful driver on the road.  I would not flip the bird to anyone down here. Every one carries and they are all not afraid to use it. ???

SargeW said:

SeilerBird said:
You got that right Sarge. Ever since I moved to Florida I am the most respectful driver on the road.  I would not flip the bird to anyone down here. Every one carries and they are all not afraid to use it. ???

The message stating that they're on a live video feed is a statement of fact and the sudden change in behavior to docile is obvious, as that message appears in between every other message.  They're the one's offering the "salute", not me, but, they don't realize until it's too late that I have side cameras recording them, too.  My obvious military affiliation also generally earns respect points from The Good Folks ... and grudging obeisance from the Ne'er-Do-Wells.

Having been stationed in Florida a couple of times and visiting my Dad in the smallest municipality in the state, the sailing is nice, but, you can keep the heat and humidity.

Up here in Montana, there are very few troublemakers (and they're usually not from here), because there's no anonymity.  Flatlanders stand out like sore thumbs and are reported if they so much as look cross-eyed at anyone.  Plus, dirtbags have been getting the message that it's a lot more comfortable to operate in places a lot warmer than here.  You don't want to have enemies when, not if, it gets down to -40 F and you either get help ... or you don't, and assist with cleaning up the shallow end of the gene pool.

Back to the original subject, I have a Master Tow Tilt-Bed Tow Dolly, model 80THD with brakes, and been towing my Chrysler T&C for the past three years, keeping the speed below 70 mph.  The T&C just about maxes out the load capacity the Master Tow indicates (4,900 lbs), but so far no problems.  Regarding California speed limits for towed units, I didn't know that the 55 mph speed limit was the law, until I got into the state and started seeing the signs immediately.  What a relief not having tractors with trailers whizzing by me at excessive speeds as I experienced in other states. :))

Apparently you haven't travelled much in California yet. Trucks still "whizz by you" here at times anyways, irregardless of the "speed limit".  LOL  8)

It always amazes me about how many truckers can't read.  Unfortunately they give the rest of the ones that can a bad rap.  I've found most truckers to be very courteous.  Also found that when I signal them that they have passed my coach safely, they appreciate it, and we seem to form a "bond" as we travel.  Most times, I would rather travel in a truck caravan.

Back
Top Bottom