rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: AARP - real benefit or not  (Read 896 times)

garyb1st

• ---
Re: AARP - real benefit or not
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 10:14:20 AM »

They lost me when they sold out to an insurance company and the board turned hard left.  A parallel is the NAACP,, when it became the political arm of the Democratic party it ceased to be affective for people of color.>>>Dan

Do you have any source to back up these comments?  I can't find any evidence that AARP is owned by an insurance company.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 10:17:13 AM »
Any interested may want to check out AMAC https://amac.us/as an alternative to AARP.  Just a thought.  :)

Checked them out.  No question about their political leaning.  But from a factual reporting standpoint, they've a little weak. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2019, 10:19:01 AM »
AARP is nothing more than a political lobby.  Because its lobbying does not align with my political beliefs I wont give them a dime.

I take it you're not a senior. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2019, 10:33:11 AM »
  We are seniors....We do not support/endorse (unless we are forced to through the laws of the federal government) those that support cases adverse to our Republic! We can’t save enough money to justify supporting them and their political bias!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:39:26 AM by Memtb »
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »
Lets not drag this into a political argument lest it be locked.  I for one do belong to AARP, and AMAC. I find they both have their uses. I have been with the Hartford insurance program through AARP for the RV for several years, strictly based upon the cost of the policy, and yes I have shopped it out many times.

I don't support their other ideals, but that is my choice. If their rates were to jump, I would be gone as well. As long as there is a benefit for my family it's worth it. This topic is about does AARP have a value to the OP, lets leave it in that arena. 
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2019, 11:14:49 AM »
Lets not drag this into a political argument lest it be locked.  I for one do belong to AARP, and AMAC. I find they both have their uses. I have been with the Hartford insurance program through AARP for the RV for several years, strictly based upon the cost of the policy, and yes I have shopped it out many times.

I don't support their other ideals, but that is my choice. If their rates were to jump, I would be gone as well. As long as there is a benefit for my family it's worth it. This topic is about does AARP have a value to the OP, lets leave it in that arena.

:)) :))

AARP started out good.. but when they got Politically Involved in Endorsing Him & Her, This & T
hat.. they lost it. And Me.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:24:06 AM by BIG JOE »
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Sheeka the Dog.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the newest... In charge Cat.

dave54

• ---
  • Old guy. Loves being outdoors
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2019, 08:36:07 PM »
My opinion:
 A complete waste of money and I have never seen or heard of any good benefit they have done for seniors.
 I have noticed that they push for certain candidates in elections that always seem to be the ones that I don't want.

jack L

Agree.  Their political slant is opposite mine.  Their discounts are the same as I get from every other affinity group I belong to, and I do not need their insurance.
I never joined or sent them any money.  Yet I get their magazine every month.
I never get lost.  I just have unplanned adventures.

djw2112

• ---
  • Texas
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2019, 10:17:06 PM »
Wow i never expected this many replies, i guess i struck a nerve, sorry :) 

I have found over time that the best thing about the AARP mailings is that their blank envelopes make good scratch paper for grocery and lowes lists, other than that it all gets tossed.  So thanks AARP you did save me some money on notepad stock :) 
2007 GC 5th wheel
Permanent Residence

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2019, 07:01:09 AM »
Well, I have found that the discount I get on my auto insurance, alone, is worth it.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

"The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »
I have been with the Hartford insurance program through AARP for the RV for several years, strictly based upon the cost of the policy, and yes I have shopped it out many times.

Same here. Save hundreds of dollars through AARP & Hartford for car and RV.
Wandering in our 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C Class A

markandkim

• ---
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2019, 08:16:36 AM »
AARP is nothing more than a political lobby.  Because its lobbying does not align with my political beliefs I wont give them a dime.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^  This  ^^^^^^^^^

Me too!
Mark and Kim
Swansea, MA.
2016 Ram 2500 Bighorn crew 5.7
2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL

USN Retired

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 99 Country Coach Magna
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2019, 09:38:43 AM »
We were in AARP for a little while, and got a quote from the Hartford, it was about 25% higher than what I was paying through Geico.  AARP did nothing for my benefit and dropped them.  If they actually helped me I would be a member, regardless of their political lean.  AMAC has a different lean and I get my supplemental through them.  Actually, neither provides the supplemental themselves, and both probably direct you to the same companies.  so safety my cynical self.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Retired from Old Faithful, Old Guy at Hardware Store
1999 Country Coach Magna 40'
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 37G (sold)
1997 Southwind 35' (promised)
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara.
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2019, 10:35:53 AM »
This has been an enlightening topic. 

AARP, FMCA, Escapees, AAA, Pastport America, Good Sam Club, Costco, Sams, All Stays Pro, Roadside Assistance.  I think that covers them all.  All membership companies we send money to. 

AARP is $14.00.  The rest about $450.00.   

Then there are phone and internet costs.  That's another $3,000 a year. 

None are mandatory.   There are options.   

If I had to investigate the political leanings of every company I do business with I'd lose my mind.   

Why AARP?   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

PJ Stough

• ---
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2019, 10:47:56 AM »

...If I had to investigate the political leanings of every company I do business with I'd lose my mind.   

:)) :))
PJ Stough   Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”--- Voltaire

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »
This has been an enlightening topic. 

AARP, FMCA, Escapees, AAA, Pastport America, Good Sam Club, Costco, Sams, All Stays Pro, Roadside Assistance.  I think that covers them all.  All membership companies we send money to. 

AARP is $14.00.  The rest about $450.00.   

Then there are phone and internet costs.  That's another $3,000 a year. 

None are mandatory.   There are options.   

If I had to investigate the political leanings of every company I do business with I'd lose my mind.   

Why AARP?

It’s not difficult to investigate......there are internet lists! 
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2019, 11:19:37 AM »
Yep, and everything printed on the internet is gospel, we all know that!  Now lets talk about the OP's question on value or not.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!