Thinking about getting a CDL license

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LogicDog

I am about to pull the trigger on a 39 ft toy hauler fifth wheel to start living in full time. Downsizing from a 2200 sq ft house to this is no sweat for me. My only worry is learning to drive the thing. Not so much on the road, but more so parking it at campgrounds. I do have experience driving a very large camper van (Promaster 2500 high roof), but I never had to worry about getting it into tight spots like I will at campgrounds.

I've been visiting a lot of campgrounds and wow some of these things are packed really tight and my particular model apparently has a wider body. I've seen some spots that give you literally inches of spare room. I'm very intimidated knowing I'll have to eventually attempt to park this massive 39 ft RV into one of these tight spots, especially with everyone watching. I plan to have my wife spot me with walkie talkies and do A LOT of open parking lot training, but I'm still quite nervous. I'm seriously considering forking up some cash to get CDL training. Is this a good idea or am I crazy for even thinking it?

Welcome to the forum! You are wise coming here before plunking down hard earned cash, there is a wealth of information and hands on experience at your fingertips.
I honestly don't think cdl training will be of real benefit to you. You will learn to back a 53' trailer but the rest of it really doesn't apply. A few traffic cones and a cooperative spotter with a walkie talkie are a lot cheaper. Mind you wives can be expensive (ahem but I digress). Actually as a B.C. resident I would be required because of the weight to obtain either a class 1 cdl or a special endorsement.

You would be better off locating one of the RV driver training courses and taking that instead of a CDL course. A CDL course will teach a lot of material that's not relevant to RV operation. As Roy said, a spotter with a radio would be a better choice than a CDL course if you don't want to do the RV course.

Your money will be better spent on a course actually related to RVs instead of commercial trucks.  Even though we had driven motorhomes for many years we learned a lot by having the RV Driving School teach us tips like how to use our mirrors to back up, how to "aim" when backing into a campground site, etc.  Today it's called the RV School.  See https://www.rvschool.com/school-locations/

ArdraF

I have had a class A cdl for many years, and have been a big rig driver for many years, but I have to agree with the others here. You need training, practice, whatever you call it for rv's because it is quite different than commercial rigs. You tend to have a lot more tail swing for one thing with the big fifth wheels which can get you in a lot of trouble for an example. I actually at times find it more difficult to back in my 42 foot fifth wheel than I do the 53 foot dry vans that I do on my job, which can be somewhat humbling. The main thing is be sure to use a good trustworthy spotter, and get out and look when there is any doubt. Practice practice practice and you'll be fine.

I have a CDL licenseas well,, as others have said $ and time would be better spent elsewhere. Practice in parking lots during non-peak hours is the way to go

Thank you for the welcome to the forum! I appreciate you all talking me out of the CDL license. If anything, I will check out rvschool.com, which turns out I have two instructors right near me. I will commit to practicing exhaustively and getting help from my wife.

Do you all have any tips on how to handle the pressure from other campers watching you? I've read stories of people busting out their lawn chairs just to watch somebody park ;D What if I'm that guy that takes 45 minutes and provides entertainment for the whole campground? I guess I just gotta be able to laugh at myself too at the end of the day.

LogicDog said:
Thank you for the welcome to the forum! I appreciate you all talking me out of the CDL license. If anything, I will check out rvschool.com, which turns out I have two instructors right near me. I will commit to practicing exhaustively and getting help from my wife.

Do you all have any tips on how to handle the pressure from other campers watching you? I've read stories of people busting out their lawn chairs just to watch somebody park ;D What if I'm that guy that takes 45 minutes and provides entertainment for the whole campground? I guess I just gotta be able to laugh at myself too at the end of the day.

Newbies are EASY to spot in a cg (most of the time). We do get out the lawn chairs ;D to watch.
Ehhh, you'll be fine. DON"T BE AFRAID TO GOAL (get out and look). I've backed trailers all my driving life and I think the 5th wheel rv is the most challenging trailer to back. If I have to get out and look 50 times while parking.....so be it. I don't hit anything, and I get it where I want it.

LogicDog said:

Welcome to the forum. I understand your apprehension. However you will find that it is a lot easier to drive, park and back up an RV than you are anticipating. I have never in all my years of RVing seen people bust out lawn chairs to watch someone park.

Google maps is your best friend. Before you make a reservation at an RV park or campground you can check out the lay of the land and see if it will be easy or not. A campground like Lower Pines at Yosemite would definitely be off limits since it was built in the 30s and the trees have really overgrown the sites. But at a park like Leaf Verde in Goodyear Az you could probably park it there with your eyes closed.

The funny thing is that I full timed it for ten years in everything from a 20 foot B to a 39 foot A and then hung up the keys. I never had a toad while full timing so I had to buy a car as soon as I retired. I got a killer deal on a 2013 Hyundai Veloster. Gets 40 miles per gallon. Nice neat little rice burner. I find it a lot harder to back up than any RV I owned. The rear view mirrors are all very small and I can't see much. I even installed a backup camera and I still get nervous backing it up. I actually avoid parking in places I might have to back out of. Backing up an Rv is much easier for me and I never used a spotter.

Check out this thread from last year. A lovely lady, Amanda, bought a class A and had to fly to Florida and buy it, then drive it back to NY. She was very nervous since she had never even driven an large RV.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,116170.0.html

I have a CDL endorsement, up to a tractor trailer, on my license and I think I will loose the endorsement this year. There is a requirement now that I need to maintain a medical card in order to keep my endorsement. I think it's crazy. Just because I don't drive a truck anymore, I still need to maintain a medical card to keep the endorsement. That would be another expense for you.

Here is my advice when learning to back or even drive forward in your new rig. LOOK UP. No kidding, and even more important for your spotter. Sitting behind the wheel of your tow vehicle you will see a lot of obstacles to avoid, any your mirrors will show you a lot more.  Your spotter will/should  be able to pick out and watch those for you. 

But the one you will see last, is that over hanging tree branch. And your  5ver will probably be taller than my 40' Class A.  I have damaged 2 RV's in my 20+ years, and both times it was the roof on a towable. 

Go slow when maneuvering in any situation you are not 100% sure of. Weather it's in a campground, parking lot, or even pulling into or out of a fuel station. If people get upset and honk, OH WELL. If you get rushed into making a mistake,  they won't be paying for the damage, you will.  Most RV'ers are pretty sympathetic because we were all new once, and no one is born knowing how to operate a RV. 

Relax and enjoy the ride!

LogicDog said:

I'd feel sorry for those folks, since they're so bored they have nothing better to do than watch someone else park and set up.  That rates right up there with watching paint dry, IMO.

While I've often heard jokes about pulling up a chair to watch, I've never seen it happen. I've had more problems with someone coming over and trying to help in a situation where I don't want/need help. A polite "I'm doing fine, thank you" will take care of some folks, but occasionally someone gets in the way while trying to help.

The other thing that sometimes is a problem, is when I'm setting up or tearing down and someone comes over and wants to chat. I don't mind chatting, in fact I even enjoy it, but it's distracting when I need to concentrate and not forget something or get things out of order.

So don't concern yourself with a peanut gallery forming.

OK Lou, you can feel sorry for me too. I used to enjoy watching new and some seasoned boaters at the ramps and docks.

Just ignore them...

Tom

Larry N. said:
The other thing that sometimes is a problem, is when I'm setting up or tearing down and someone comes over and wants to chat. I don't mind chatting, in fact I even enjoy it, but it's distracting when I need to concentrate and not forget something or get things out of order.
Boy is that ever the truth Larry. It cost me $2000 one time because someone came over to "chat" while I was hooking up getting ready to leave. Because I was interrupted, it broke my routine and I missed a step (putting trans in neutral). Engine blow about the time I hit 45mph.

For anyone new to RVing that's reading this.....if you see someone hooking up getting ready to leave....save your goodbys until they are all done and ready to pull out.

Do you all have any tips on how to handle the pressure from other campers watching you

The best advice is to ignore them.  Your question reminded me of a holiday weekend that caught us by surprise and we took the last site available in the campground.  It was right across from the swimming pool which was full of people.  The site was tight and there were a lot of bushes right in front of me.  Of course I was trying to avoid them while backing into the site and it wasn't easy!  I definitely had a gallery watching and it was somewhat unnerving because they were right in front of me, but I just kept my mind on what needed to be done.

Others have given good advice too, such as looking up, getting out to see hazards, and staying focused.  Checklists are great for beginners so you don't forget important things like retracting slides, retracting steps, putting down TV antennas, and the like.  Don't worry about it.  If other people don't like that you're being slow and/or are in their way, well that's THEIR problem and they don't need to pay the damages of mistakes.  I try to be mindful of other drivers but sometimes it just can't be helped.  Enjoy your new RV and make a lot of great memories!

ArdraF

LogicDog said:
Do you all have any tips on how to handle the pressure from other campers watching you?

Yeah. Keep an eye on them. If the cell phones suddenly come out to take video, you are probably close to doing something "interesting". :)

Parking a camper is easy. I once launched a 15' aluminum boat into the Pacific with our 31' Suncruiser. First trailer I ever towed. I had a lot of watchers gathered around waiting to see it I messed up...

1) Get out and look. Every time and maybe several times, never guess it is ok. 2) Decide where you want your wheels to end up and the path they need to follow to get there. Consider slides, and hook up locations. 3) Check for overhead and ground obstructions. 4) If you use a spotter make sure you can see the spotter at all times, If you cannot see the spotter stop the vehicle.  Work out and practice your signals. Whoa, No, and Go sound the same so use Stop and Proceed, also left and right depends on perspective, use driver side, passenger side. if on a radio or phone. 5) Watch the trailers wheels not the back end, you want the wheels to go down the path you chose. 6) Remember the trailer turns the direction you move the Bottom of the steering wheel.

The best advice is to ignore them.

Yep.  As they say in certain parts of the country, "Tellwiddem."  (Or in the plural, "Tellwiddemall.")

I have enough on my mind when backing such that I can't give any extra attention to the peanut gallery.  I let 'em watch, let 'em talk, they can even point and laugh if they're that ill-mannered; my objective is to get the rig parked where I want it without damage. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom