Help me decide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCTyler

Yeah, yeah, i know.. another noobie "boo-hoo.. i cant decide" thread..

So, anyway...
Im looking at the following..

2019 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 232RB
  2019 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT 24RBS
  2019 GRAND DESIGN IMAGINE XLS 17MKE

..I really like the Grand Designs, and my wife really likes the Jaycos.
I know they're both better built brands, but how do they compare to each other?

Just so everyone knows, i can tow 9400# max, no 5th wheels, and im not rich.

Well, I assume you have sufficient vehicle, pick the one your wife likes best.  Since it will be her decision and knowing women they never want to admit a mistake you will have it a good long time.
Sadly as a newby I think your biggest mistake is picking a new anything.  The chances are about 80 to 1 it will not be to your liking within two years.  So why in heck would you want to eat all that depreciation.

DCTyler said:
Yeah, yeah, i know.. another noobie "boo-hoo.. i cant decide" thread..

So, anyway...
Im looking at the following..

2019 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 232RB
  2019 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT 24RBS
  2019 GRAND DESIGN IMAGINE XLS 17MKE

..I really like the Grand Designs, and my wife really likes the Jaycos.
I know they're both better built brands, but how do they compare to each other?

Just so everyone knows, i can tow 9400# max, no 5th wheels, and im not rich.

what are you pulling it with?  and what does the yellow decal drivers side door say - looks like this

Attachments

• IMG_20160306_092354 (1).jpg
    IMG_20160306_092354 (1).jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 12
You might be able to tow 9400#, but what does your little yellow sticker in the drivers door of your truck say you can carry, that is your payload, and most often is the limiting factor.  What is your tow vehicle, engine etc, and payload, we can help after that.  Without it, you might as well head to the RV store and let the RV salesperson blow smoke and give you advise  (sarcasm). If you can give us that information, we will help you make sure you are within your towing boundaries.

Edit:  x2 What steveblonde says.  :))

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Z71 Crew Cab w/ Tow Package
"the total weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed 1729lbs"
i dont expect to reach 1000# tongue weight.

both the jayco 232 and the grand des both have dry hitch weights of about 450lbs add 2 20lbs tanks and that then becomes 530lbs add water and clothes etc and you can add exponentialy more weight
with a 1700 cargo capacity thats leaving you approx 1000 lbs play weight you should be fine with any of them so its personal preference all use LCI components on everything so - happy wife happy life 

yeah, i like the GD, but i have absolutely nothing against the Jaycos..
i was just wondering about build quality.
it looked good in person, but i cant see everything.
are they Jaycos built as well (or better) than the Grand Design?
i noticed theyre a little bit cheaper.

Nice payload  :))  I've been looking at GMCs, seems I'm finding lots of payloads at 1500#.  Anyways, one thing I like about my Puma, and Jayco, just something to consider, is the ceiling height.  Many are 78" and at the time Jayco was 84" I think, it's just something to possibly consider.  I'm 6'2", and 74" on a 78" ceiling is creepy. I have always felt Jayco is a good brand (as I bought a Forest River Puma), It's just what I found at the time, and have been pleased as well.  I have heard others say they like their Grand Design as well.  Build quality, depends who you ask, and what day.  Seems the best consensus is do your best finding issues and have them fix them before you settle the deal, RV Dealers have a terrible reputation about warranty work in a timely manner.  Lastly, wife not happy, nobody happy.. Good luck :))

Many members here, but not all, will tell you to look at something used. There are lots of them out there say 3 or 4 years old that are in perfect condition. Like Donn said, you'll take a huge hit on depreciation as soon as you tow it off the dealers lot. Then there is the warrantee work. It well known that dealers take for ever to make repairs once they have your money and the Quality Assurance of most manufacturers is terrible.  So you will have many problems. Buying used, you can come up with a list of things you find wrong and have them fixed before you transfer the money.
Donn said that the first RV may not be suited for you because you felt it was so you'll be thinking of getting another one a couple of years down the road so you'll end up buying another new one with a huge depreciation again.
One last thing, when you are shopping for a new or slightly used RV, do not take any money with you. This way if you find something you really want, go home and sleep on it for a couple of days. Chances are, it won't go away.

Thanks for all the great advice, but.. well.. nevermind.
after thinking about it for awhile, and reevaluating our lifestyle and commitments (jobs, etc..), we decided that we cant justify dumping money into a travel trailer that will hardly ever get used.
so.. again, thanks everyone, but we have decided to explore other avenues.

Back
Top Bottom