1991 38' Cobra roof repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusticrv

Hello to all !

We are seeking some advice on how to repair a few leaks on our 1991 38' Cobra- Sandpiper. It appears as thou it is completely aluminium. 
The leaks we are having appear to be coming in from the  TV antenna, 2 of the roof vents I think and in one of the closets in the back where the bunks are.
This is our first trailer.  We really can't afford a newer one so if you could help us with some tips on what we could purchase to repair the leaks, we would be very happy.
My husband was going to buy some shingles and black roof tar stuff. We would like to ask the forum if a certain type of shingle is needed for aluminium or just spread the black tar and place them down.
Would peel and stick vinyl tiles work better ? I did our bathroom myself at home this is why I'm asking lol.

Thank-you!

Krissy

Shingles aren't too effective on a flat roof.  They're designed to be installed on a pitched roof so an upper row overlaps a lower row and water always runs downhill from one shingle to the next.  On a flat roof water will backup and become trapped on the part of the shingle that's underneath another one.

Black tar will work, but it absorbs heat in the summer and will make a mess on your shoes if you have to walk around up there.  A better choice for an aluminum roof is Henry's Elastomeric Roof Coating.  It goes on like a thick paint and reflects heat better in the summer.

Use a roller to apply it to large areas and a paint brush to seal around the TV antenna and other penetrations.

Forget shingles. They're for wood framed houses. If laid down with black tar they'd blow off in the first strong wind. Personally I'd put Eternabond tape over every seam and around vents and any visible holes. Its supposed to last for 30 years and has a good reputation with RV owners. It comes in silver color if that matters. The TV antenna likely has a rubber o-ring around the shaft that needs replacing. Not hard to fix, just watch a utube video about it.

We appreciate the responses very much. Our first Trailer lol. We will certainly buy some Eternabond tape, seen it in 4X50' rolls, we will also give the roof a good coat of Henry's.
Good thing my husband didn't buy the tar and shingles yet lol.
You all are a tremendous help!

Thank-you!

Krissy & Derek

Be careful with the Eternabond tape.  It's fairly thick (1/4"?) so if you use it to seal the seams you need to preserve a drainage path, i.e. you don't want to enclose an area with Eternabond and create a pond on the roof.

Henry's Roof Coating will effectively seal the roof by itself.  Make sure your roof is clean and dry and use a putty knife to remove any loose sealant around the vents, etc.  Then use a paintbrush to apply a coat around all of the roof penetrations and use a roller to fill in the areas in between.

Put down one coat in one direction, then after a couple of hours put down a second coat perpendicular to the first, i.e. one coat going the length of the trailer, the other back and forth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom