Exterior wall rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AjCrabb83

Hi y'all!! First post for me, but I've found a lot of good information on the forum so I'm hoping y'all can chime in on my work. I'm new to the RV world, but fairly well versed in construction/repairs/etc. I'm rebuilding the back wall of my 29' 5th wheel. Attached are the photos so far, I've removed the interior lauan and insulation. I have the replacement filon siding in a roll that will go on, and am curious about attaching it to the camper. I am planning on using plywood as the underlayment, but curious if attaching the plywood to the frame then gluing the filon to it would be better, or if it would be better to glue the filon to the plywood then attach it to the frame as one piece.

I feel like I could screw the plywood to the wood frame and achieve a much more structurally sound wall than just screwing it around the outside edges, but curious to what y'all think.

Attachments

• IMG_20190601_193220.jpg
    IMG_20190601_193220.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 55
Welcome to The RV Forum!

If you have the space, I'd glue the filon to the plywood first, preferably with the assembly laying horizontally.  This makes it much easier to apply pressure to the sandwich to eliminate dead spots while the glue sets.  Ideally you want a uniform glue layer like you'd get with a paint roller, not just a bead winding back and forth.

A good construction adhesive will let you bond the plywood to the framing without having screw heads showing on the exterior.

Ok, so you're saying use the contact cement to attach the filon to the plywood, then a construction grade adhesive (in a caulking gun style) to attach the plywood to the frame. I hadn't considered that, and I imagine that would be much less cumbersome to get the filon adhered to the plywood for sure!

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom