Garmin RV770 LMT-S Charging indoors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rider1520

I just received a Garmin RV 770 and when I try to charge it inside the house I get a message that reads ?the attached cable can not currently charge your device. Garmin tech support states that is normal and that the unit essentially can only be charged using inside a vehicle using the 12 volt charger. to those of you that own one is that what you find? Can the device ONLY be charged from a vehicle?

Have not ordered but from Garmin website:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/67647#devices

Can be ordered from other sources.

Jennifer

In addition to the vehicle charger our 770 came with a USB-to-Micro USB cord.  I don't know what magic it contains, but it works.  Using similarly configured but non-Garmin cords yields the same message.

Maybe check Amazon or eBay.

Some Garmins can be charged by simply plugging into a computer USB port on the unit and the Garmin as if you were going to add files. My current one requires that I use the window mount assembly to do that in order that the correct plugs and cord ends are available.

Years ago I had a 120V block charger from Garmin that worked well but today it would require some kind of cord modification as they all seem to use those small USB connectors.

I have learned the following;
          1) no matter what I connect to the short USB to Micro USB cord I get the ?cannot charge your device? error.
          2) If you touch and hold the red battery icon in the upper right corner for 6 seconds it takes to you some type of diagnostic screen that shows that the battery is indeed receiving a small charge.
          3) I left the unit connected but turned off overnight and this morning it shows it has a full charge.
I was told by Garmin support that if I bought the Garmin specific house charger that it would charge the unit is about 4 hours instead of all night. He also said if I used the 12 volt charger/power supply that came with the unit it would charge in about 1hr. I still question why they suggest using a 12 volt cigarette type power supply instead of a standard USB port connection in 2019, but at least I know now that I can charge it in the vehicle and in the house. Hope this was helpful to others!

Final note: I received the ?official? Garmin house charger today and surprisingly it does charge the unit using household current. The charger has two separate USB to mini USB connectors but they only work when used with the garmin charging plug. I tried to plug them into an outlet that has a USB connection and it gave me the error message. Connect it to the Garmin charger plug and it charges. Interesting. I hope this helps others who decide to purchase this particular Garmin GPS

An earlier post described holding your finger on the battery icon in the upper right corner of the screen for 6-8 second until the screen changes to a battery charge information screen. On that screen you can view the rate of charge. Charging with a standard USB cable plugged into a USB power adaptor like used on a phone you see that it charges at a rate of about 95ma (even though the message on the screen says it is not charging). Charging with the cigarette lighter adaptor that come with the unit, it charges at about 580ma (about 6 times faster). Both ways will charge the unit. With the unit powered off, my guess is the USB cable will take about 8-10 hours for a full charge. With the cigarette lighter adaptor I expect it will take about 1 1/2 hours. To get out of the battery information screen, I held the power button down to turn the unit off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom