1. House batts not charging. 2. Generator quits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmlorber

I bought a 2014 Winnebago Class B on a Mercedes Sprinter diesel. 14,000 miles. The generator has less than 15 hours use. The generator runs on LP.

I need help, and I can?t find help from Winnebago, nearby RV dealers, or other generator/RV shops. Please offer comments and recommendations!

When the vehicle is not running, the generator will start but it dies within a few seconds. This may sound like a simple fuel supply issue, but note: the generator runs perfectly well while the vehicle is running. (if the engine is running, the generator can be started and it keeps on running.)

In the condition when the vehicle is running and the generator are both running, the generator quits when a sizable but reasonable load is applied, just AC alone turned on max cold will make the generator die. With no other load.

Additionally, the vehicle engine is not charging the house batteries. Fuses and breakers appear all fine. That is, if I found them all.

The Winnebago dealer said by telephone bring it to a generator service shop. Without looking at it. But it seems to me there may be more than one problem, and not just with the generator.

Please folks, give me advice and suggestions: what Diagnostics  I can do  myself,  what might be causing the problems, what type of certified technician or service shop I should go to. I will be grateful for every opinion. Thank you very much.

Here is a link that may help with the charging problem

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dh_R8OsEhDmQ&ved=2ahUKEwiG4ZmOydDiAhXwRt8KHXFLB9UQwqsBMAB6BAgDEAU&usg=AOvVaw0A9YY-2G1oPb0kp1ulPH87

The generator problem could be many things. It is possible that when the sprinter engine is running, it is reducing the load on the generator and allowing it to run. I would service the generator or get it serviced.

The generator is probably an Onan. Search for a Cummins/Onan shop near you. Onan is a subsidiary of Cummins.

This type of genset needs 12v power to run - it powers the fuel pump.  The fact that yours runs with the engine on (alternator supplying 12v) but not otherwise suggests that the battery or its connection to the battery is poor and the genset dies from lack of fuel being pumped to the carb.

My Four Winds had a similar problem on the road. I called in a service guy, he crawled underneath and started wire-brushing the common positive 12-volt wiring that all come together on a common stud under the frame. It was corroded ad wasn?t passing current! Maybe something similar on your unit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom