Crash test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDMan

I am curious what kind of crash testing is done on class B, C and A motorcoaches.  I have not been able to find any information on this subject.

I doubt there have been any, but I'd be curious to see the results if there have.

Doubt if you will find one  on an A,  B and C would more than likely be graded off a regular Van such as E350  or 3500 series.  Just a guess but I'd almost bet on it.  that;s the way I was told by a rep years ago and doubt much if they've changed  That would cost them a buck or two.

JDMan said:
I am curious what kind of crash testing is done

As others have said, none.  Motorhomes are a gray area in vehicle safety, as the government requires passenger vehicle standards up to 7,000 pounds or so ... and then skips to Commercial Motor Vehicles (semi trucks).  That skips almost every motorhome ever produced, although as Shayne said Class B's and C's should have the same standards as the van chassis they are built upon.  Class A's are simply not tested.  There have been many prior threads on child carseats, and the similar lack of testing and proper placement in motorhomes.

It's true, motorhomes fall into the "gray" area when it comes to government regulations pertaining to safety and crash testing.  However, Winnebago Ind does perform a "drop test" occassionally on newly engineered models.  For the most part, they rely on computer structural analysis, test track, and test simulator which can simulate a 10 year life cycle, but over the years have taken new designs and performed a drop test to verify computer analysis.  They take one of the first production units and remove the roof acs, rack and ladder, roll it over using a large crane and huge foam blocks until it's upside down, then they raise it 3 feet in the air and drop it on it's head.  I worked at Winnebago Ind for 15 years and as Marketing Manager we videotaped the procedure several times and used it in advertising.  The criteria was: no appliances or cabinetry could become dislodged, escape windows must operate, and there could not be more than a 2" deflection in the sidewall.  They passed!  Most manufacturers take their prototypes to OHIO to TRC for road testing on a simulated track that has bumps, rocks, sine waves that twist the chassis, and chatter bumps.

I'm not sure why you're not reassured about that video- there was hardly ANY crush at the front. Size and weight are your biggest advantage in an RV UNLESS you hit something even bigger. Most crash tests are done at only 30 MPH - all those slo-mo videos you see... that's only 30. Think how fast you drive on the highway. The biggest threat I see in a motorhome would be flying projectiles! Sit in front and look behind you. Anything loose on shelves or counter tops is going to fly at you in a front-end crash. (That's true of any vehicle!) Buckle up, people!

Here's an example of a real crash test.  Several years ago a Monaco owner was driving next to a heavy highway equipment carrier when the grader on it hit an overpass.  The grader was knocked at least partially off the truck and hit the Monaco.  The Monaco owner was driving and his granddaughter was in the passenger seat, while his wife was in the back.  Neither front seat passengers were hurt, the wife had minor injuries.  But, the front end of the Monaco came out in surprisingly good shape.  We saw pictures and were amazed it wasn't damaged more.

ArdraF

I thought the video looked pretty encouraging, as far as driver & passenger safety goes.  That's because they had dual air-bags.

I've heard that virtually none of the Class-A motorhomes in the US have air-bags, however.

On the other hand, I think most all Class-C and Class-B motorhomes do have air-bags.

Pehhaps I should reprhase my statement.  The lack of proper crash testing is not very reassuring!

During 60's, 70's & 80's, the Blue Bird Wanderlodge was built to meet school bus standards and had to pass a roll-over test.  They started changing some of the construction in the 90's and I don't believe they continued the roll-over testing at that point.

If I can find the file later today, when I have the time, I'll try to post photos of a 80's vintage Wanderlodge that was rolled into a ditch at 60 mph and both occupants walked away.  When the coach was uprighted, it could be driven, but the shell was racked some to one side.

I would pay money to get to watch them drop the Winnebago !!!  That would be a fun thing to see in person  :D

I suspect if you did the research you would find the number of crashes of MH's is a very small  number. MH drivers tend to be more cautious than when they are behind the wheel of their car. Speed has a big influence on crash data.

Winnebago does conduct actually dropping their MH on it's roof from several feet in the air.

On the other hand in an RV you are more likely to have peope "Moving about" (Though I suspect not that much more likely)

another factor is the mass times velocity.

IF you are driving a 3,000 pound mini van, and some Denali type rear ends you doing 90 in the 25, You are not in a good position. (That was an actual accident to which I'm only 2 steps removed,, A good friend was the English teacher for two of the deceased and it happened less than a mile from where we go to church, a short time later the wife of one of my troopers was killed at the same interseciton, different details though)

Replace that one 1/2 ton of junk with 13 ton of Class A and... let's just say your survival is far more likely.

I also would worry about things hitting me flying from the rear. I have never liked mirrors on the ceiling as in a crash all I can think of is all that glass breaking and coming forward!

Art In Mobile said:
I also would worry about things hitting me flying from the rear. I have never liked mirrors on the ceiling as in a crash all I can think of is all that glass breaking and coming forward!

I am trying not to tell the story about the "naked skydiver" 8)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom