rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Kayaks for 10 months  (Read 5213 times)

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
    • rvmama6 blog
Kayaks for 10 months
« on: June 06, 2019, 08:31:24 PM »
I'll be on the road for 10 months. I originally planned on bringing my kayaks but I think that's impractical. I think it's too long for them to be mounted to the car in such heat. Has anyone ever done anything like that? Regrets? Advice?
Amanda
Mommy to 6 great kids who love camping and traveling
Aug 1, 2019- began our 10 month cross country trip
2015 Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 30.2 aka "home" 
2010 35ft Springdale bunkhouse TT
2001 Jayco Pop-up
https://rvmama6.home.blog/

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
Re: Kayaks for 10 months
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 11:39:04 PM »
I believe you're going to have your hands full as it is....think I'd leave the kayaks for another time. 

There are places that rent them, Monterey Bay in California for example.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 04:41:38 AM »
We carry a canoe on our TOAD for our 8k mile adventure these days.  I don't see a problem with that.  Not sure what your kayaks are made of, but I never heard of heat being an issue.  Once on the car, it becomes part of the travel routine to check the tiedowns, etc.
I hesitate to take our canoe along, but we always happy to have it when we come across a nice area to use it.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

JackL

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 05:02:07 AM »
As a hard core kayaker: I would say if you think you will be using them a lot take them.
If you think you will not be using them much, leave them home and rent them

If you do take them and they are plastic just make sure that when you are parked and they are strapped to your vehicle roof ; loosen the tie down straps or they could deform from the heat.
Another option is if you will be at certain places for a few days or more, just put them on the ground and  throw a silver tarp over them

We travel with ours constantly and they would be on the truck roof for six months at a time in the Florida Keys sun. they are composite and were never harmed, but prior to them we had plastic ones, and they definately would deform if I kept the straps tight in the hot sun.

Jack L

Paul M

• ---
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 06:26:56 PM »
I have an inflatable kayak that I always keep stored in a basement storage compartment of the motorhome.  Depending on how tight you are for storage space, this is an option to consider.  The inflatable folds up to the size of a large backpack.  It is also easy to carry in my small towed car when I need to drive to a kayaking site.  I never miss an opportunity to try a new kayaking spot.

Hope your trip is a great success!
Paul & Carol
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
2014 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Honda Fit on ACME EZE Tow Dolly

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
    • rvmama6 blog
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 06:42:44 PM »
Thanks everyone, I kept going back and forth on the issue. I think we're going to leave them home. I would love love love to have them, but I'm way more into it than the kids are, they couldn't care less. Their vote is to leave them home. I've thought of bringing just one, the single one, on the back of the motorhome (the other 3 are too long because they're tandems) but Idk if I would use it if the kids weren't coming with me. So I'll probably leave them all home :(
Amanda
2001 Jayco Pop-up

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 07:53:55 PM »
So I'll probably leave them all home :(

The Kayaks or the kids.. ;D ;D
2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

To be 1/2 the man my dog thinks I am...But twice the man My wife thinks I am...

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
    • rvmama6 blog
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 08:58:04 PM »
The Kayaks or the kids.. ;D ;D
Depends on the day 😂 whoever behaves can come, on the back of the motorhome lol
Amanda
2001 Jayco Pop-up

dragonflycamper

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 11:32:27 PM »
I had that debate with myself going on a family reunion houseboat trip with my folks and my sister's family.  It was just one week, but I couldn't see being on the water the entire week and not having my new kayak along.  I finally decided to bring it, but at 2am the morning we were supposed to leave, as we were finishing packing the truck and boat we were pulling (everyone packs like this before a trip, right?) DH determined that it just wasn't going to fit to bring the kayak.   :-[  In the end, I rented a kayak for a few days of the trip.  No one else was really interested anyway, and it gave me a little time to get off by myself.  I am glad I did it that way - I really didn't NEED it for the whole week and it was a little crowded.  But 10 months is another story.  Maybe just take the small one unless you are able to rent one sometimes, if you have someone to stay back with the kids.  I feel like being out camping there would be plenty of times you might just want to hop in a lake and explore, depending where you will be.  I am jealous of your long trip!  ;)