Newell motorcoach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andersonchix

Anyone out there with experience or know anything about the Newell. We are looking at a much older Newell and really like the looks of it but have not seen it in person. We do not know anything about them and in fact had never heard of Newell until now.  Any pros or cons would be appreciated before we make the long trip to go look at it in person. Thanks!!

What year? Does it have slides? Newell is one of the top quality manufactuers. They are not mass produced. You sit down with your design team and decide what you want in your new coach. I like them.
https://www.newellcoach.com/new-coaches-for-sale--xAllInventory
Bill

Probably one of the few drawbacks to a Newell is that the custom built nature makes it harder to get repairs or replacements later. Newell operates it's own service facility in Miami, OK, but they are there to serve megabuck (literally!) customers. Chances are no other shop will have any clue about how the systems in a Newell work or where to get parts of any sort.  You won't find many common or standard RV appliances and components in one.  In general you request parts from Newell and maybe they have them, or they can build them for you from their drawings. 

A Newell could be likened to a Duesenberg automobile,  every one of them is/was built to order for a wealthy person.

But,  they are amazing high end motorhomes.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Probably one of the few drawbacks to a Newell is that the custom built nature makes it harder to get repairs or replacements later. Newell operates it's own service facility in Miami, OK, but they are there to serve megabuck (literally!) customers. Chances are no other shop will have any clue about how the systems in a Newell work or where to get parts of any sort.  You won't find many common or standard RV appliances and components in one.  In general you request parts from Newell and maybe they have them, or they can build them for you from their drawings.
Again, What systems would that be? I am having a hard time looking at the systems and specks on the web site and seeing anything that may be a problem to repair or service.
What is it that you see as a big problem?
Bill

I've not explored the Newells much, Bill, but I can envision all kinds of lighting controls, electronic system, perhaps the leveling system, many cockpit systems and other things. My Beaver, for example, had an Aladdin system that monitored all manner of things in the coach, from engine info such as RPM, manifold pressure, fuel mileage, and a whole slew of others such as holding and fresh water tanks, to name a few. It also had a nice, electronic lighting switch arrangement such that push buttons could be duplicated in other locations (turn on the kitchen light from the kitchen or the front of the coach), as well as dimming by holding down the button, a master button that would turn off all the lights in the coach (it was nice using that after getting in bed), and more.

And Newell probably has all that and more, likely proprietary for most of it.

I just looked at the Newell web site a little further, Bill. This page shows many of the systems in brief ("infotainment," dual navigation, and much more), and that's just in the cockpit.

We toured the Newell factory many years ago. The next coach to be built was just starting on the production line; 2 I beams sitting on 2 sawhorses for the chassis. Largest carpentry shop I have ever seen, unbelievable paint shop. You can spend a half a year with the desginers and engineers to define your coach before they start. If I had mega, mega bucks, its the coach I would buy.

Larry N. said:
I just looked at the Newell web site a little further, Bill. This page shows many of the systems in brief ("infotainment," dual navigation, and much more), and that's just in the cockpit.
Well it probably doesn't matter as the OP hasn't been back. One that is old enough not to give the OP sticker shock probbabley won't have all the  newest bells and whistles.
Apparently neither of you have driven a new car lately.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
Apparently neither of you have driven a new car lately.
Bill
I was answering your question, Bill, about what systems are custom made, not whether it's novel or unheard of. Yes, I've driven fancy computerized new cars, and I recognize the screens, etc, but those are NOT the ones used in the Newell -- they make their own. And that's why I pointed you to the cockpit on their website -- it's custom made, unlikely to be serviceable by others.

An older very high end rig like a Newell will have many of the nice features (some in triple redundancy) that we love on the newer mid grade motorhomes.

But, using a car analogy ..would you rather drive an older Rolls Royce or a new Hyundai Genesis ?  both of them are very nice cars.

My boss used to have a '61 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud...I'd take that thing over a Hyundai in a friggin' heartbeat.  But then again,  I used to have a hot rod and classic car restoration shop, so my view might be a bit skewed.

Old_Crow said:
My boss used to have a '61 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud...I'd take that thing over a Hyundai in a friggin' heartbeat.  But then again,  I used to have a hot rod and classic car restoration shop, so my view might be a bit skewed.
I have a 2013 Hyundai Veloster and I would take that over a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud in a real heartbeat. Yes, the RR has a better ride but I get 40 miles per gallon and in the four years I have owned I have only had one $70 repair. Insurance, gas and repairs are all a lot cheaper. If I want to be comfortable sitting down I will sit in my recliner and watch TV. ;D I too used to own a hot rod. 1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 and I built it up. Did 12s at the Long Beach drag strip.

Larry N. said:
I was answering your question, Bill, about what systems are custom made, not whether it's novel or unheard of. Yes, I've driven fancy computerized new cars, and I recognize the screens, etc, but those are NOT the ones used in the Newell -- they make their own. And that's why I pointed you to the cockpit on their website -- it's custom made, unlikely to be serviceable by others.
First you are assuming it is going to break. You buy quality you have few problems. These are not new technology. SilverLeaf?s VMS technology is used on Newmar, Foretravel, Country Coach, Monaco and American all offer the VMS 645 CL on their coaches. The product is also available as an aftermarket addition for almost any recent model diesel pusher.
Larry,doesn't that Newmar have a VMS dash? Comfort drive?
Bill

These are not new technology.
Bill, I said nothing about being NEW technology, only about the specific implementation being proprietary, and I said this ONLY in reply to your question: "What systems would that be?"
First you are assuming it is going to break.
I did not make that assumption, though most things break sooner or later.
Larry,doesn't that Newmar have a VMS dash? Comfort drive?
It does indeed have a Freightliner dash and Comfort drive, which is immaterial since Newell builds their own chassis and your question pertained to what systems on a Newell might be a problem to repair by others.

You're attempting to read things into my posts that I did not say.

We started this, not by the OP but by this:
Almost all of the systems are custom.
and by this post from Gary:
Followed by your:
What systems would that be?
You've got your answer.

Back
Top Bottom