rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Newell motorcoach  (Read 1264 times)

andersonchix

• ---
Newell motorcoach
« on: June 09, 2019, 09:53:44 AM »
Anyone out there with experience or know anything about the Newell. We are looking at a much older Newell and really like the looks of it but have not seen it in person. We do not know anything about them and in fact had never heard of Newell until now.  Any pros or cons would be appreciated before we make the long trip to go look at it in person. Thanks!!

WILDEBILL308

• ---
Re: Newell motorcoach
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 11:14:30 AM »
What year? Does it have slides? Newell is one of the top quality manufactuers. They are not mass produced. You sit down with your design team and decide what you want in your new coach. I like them.
https://www.newellcoach.com/new-coaches-for-sale--xAllInventory
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 11:21:02 AM »
As Bill indicates, a Newell is a custom built, very high end coach, multi-millions when new. Check out the Newell web site.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 11:32:24 AM »
One thing you should do is have whatever RV you are thinking of buying inspected by a  NRVIA certified inspector.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Mile High

• ---
  • Lone Tree, CO
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 11:42:40 AM »
High end coach - high end repairs - Almost all of the systems are custom.
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 12:06:14 PM »
Probably one of the few drawbacks to a Newell is that the custom built nature makes it harder to get repairs or replacements later. Newell operates it's own service facility in Miami, OK, but they are there to serve megabuck (literally!) customers. Chances are no other shop will have any clue about how the systems in a Newell work or where to get parts of any sort.  You won't find many common or standard RV appliances and components in one.  In general you request parts from Newell and maybe they have them, or they can build them for you from their drawings. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:08:27 PM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

sightseers

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 12:29:39 PM »
A Newell could be likened to a Duesenberg automobile,  every one of them is/was built to order for a wealthy person.

But,  they are amazing high end motorhomes.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:31:52 PM by sightseers »

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »
"Almost all of the systems are custom."
What systems would that be?
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 08:28:00 PM »
Probably one of the few drawbacks to a Newell is that the custom built nature makes it harder to get repairs or replacements later. Newell operates it's own service facility in Miami, OK, but they are there to serve megabuck (literally!) customers. Chances are no other shop will have any clue about how the systems in a Newell work or where to get parts of any sort.  You won't find many common or standard RV appliances and components in one.  In general you request parts from Newell and maybe they have them, or they can build them for you from their drawings.

Again, What systems would that be? I am having a hard time looking at the systems and specks on the web site and seeing anything that may be a problem to repair or service.
What is it that you see as a big problem?
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 06:58:08 AM »
I've not explored the Newells much, Bill, but I can envision all kinds of lighting controls, electronic system, perhaps the leveling system, many cockpit systems and other things. My Beaver, for example, had an Aladdin system that monitored all manner of things in the coach, from engine info such as RPM, manifold pressure, fuel mileage, and a whole slew of others such as holding and fresh water tanks, to name a few. It also had a nice, electronic lighting switch arrangement such that push buttons could be duplicated in other locations (turn on the kitchen light from the kitchen or the front of the coach), as well as dimming by holding down the button, a master button that would turn off all the lights in the coach (it was nice using that after getting in bed), and more.

And Newell probably has all that and more, likely proprietary for most of it.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 07:00:04 AM »
"Almost all of the systems are custom."
Wiring and breaker/fuse panels, plumbing, heating, etc.  Don't expect to find Atwood or Suburban appliances, standard power converters/inverters, and what not.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 07:14:10 AM »
I just looked at the Newell web site a little further, Bill. This page shows many of the systems in brief ("infotainment," dual navigation, and much more), and that's just in the cockpit.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 08:27:11 AM »
We toured the Newell factory many years ago. The next coach to be built was just starting on the production line; 2 I beams sitting on 2 sawhorses for the chassis. Largest carpentry shop I have ever seen, unbelievable paint shop. You can spend a half a year with the desginers and engineers to define your coach before they start. If I had mega, mega bucks, its the coach I would buy.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 08:35:43 AM »
I just looked at the Newell web site a little further, Bill. This page shows many of the systems in brief ("infotainment," dual navigation, and much more), and that's just in the cockpit.
Well it probably doesn't matter as the OP hasn't been back. One that is old enough not to give the OP sticker shock probbabley won't have all the  newest bells and whistles.
Apparently neither of you have driven a new car lately.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 09:06:03 AM »
Apparently neither of you have driven a new car lately.
Bill
I was answering your question, Bill, about what systems are custom made, not whether it's novel or unheard of. Yes, I've driven fancy computerized new cars, and I recognize the screens, etc, but those are NOT the ones used in the Newell -- they make their own. And that's why I pointed you to the cockpit on their website -- it's custom made, unlikely to be serviceable by others.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

sightseers

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 09:49:51 AM »
An older very high end rig like a Newell will have many of the nice features (some in triple redundancy) that we love on the newer mid grade motorhomes.

But, using a car analogy ..would you rather drive an older Rolls Royce or a new Hyundai Genesis ?  both of them are very nice cars.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:32:19 AM by sightseers »

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Phormer Phantom Phixer
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 06:56:45 PM »
My boss used to have a '61 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud...I'd take that thing over a Hyundai in a friggin' heartbeat.  But then again,  I used to have a hot rod and classic car restoration shop, so my view might be a bit skewed.
Wally Crow
Retired 30+ year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
FMCA F494768

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 07:04:00 PM »
My boss used to have a '61 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud...I'd take that thing over a Hyundai in a friggin' heartbeat.  But then again,  I used to have a hot rod and classic car restoration shop, so my view might be a bit skewed.
I have a 2013 Hyundai Veloster and I would take that over a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud in a real heartbeat. Yes, the RR has a better ride but I get 40 miles per gallon and in the four years I have owned I have only had one $70 repair. Insurance, gas and repairs are all a lot cheaper. If I want to be comfortable sitting down I will sit in my recliner and watch TV. ;D I too used to own a hot rod. 1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 and I built it up. Did 12s at the Long Beach drag strip.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2018 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s2JcpKVxX3Ez3c8j9
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 07:33:12 PM »
I was answering your question, Bill, about what systems are custom made, not whether it's novel or unheard of. Yes, I've driven fancy computerized new cars, and I recognize the screens, etc, but those are NOT the ones used in the Newell -- they make their own. And that's why I pointed you to the cockpit on their website -- it's custom made, unlikely to be serviceable by others.
First you are assuming it is going to break. You buy quality you have few problems. These are not new technology. SilverLeaf’s VMS technology is used on Newmar, Foretravel, Country Coach, Monaco and American all offer the VMS 645 CL on their coaches. The product is also available as an aftermarket addition for almost any recent model diesel pusher.
Larry,doesn't that Newmar have a VMS dash? Comfort drive?
Bill
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:50:27 PM by WILDEBILL308 »
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »
These are not new technology.
Bill, I said nothing about being NEW technology, only about the specific implementation being proprietary, and I said this ONLY in reply to your question: "What systems would that be?"
First you are assuming it is going to break.
I did not make that assumption, though most things break sooner or later.
Larry,doesn't that Newmar have a VMS dash? Comfort drive?
It does indeed have a Freightliner dash and Comfort drive, which is immaterial since Newell builds their own chassis and your question pertained to what systems on a Newell might be a problem to repair by others.

You're attempting to read things into my posts that I did not say.

We started this, not by the OP but by this:
Almost all of the systems are custom.
and by this post from Gary:
Followed by your:
You've got your answer.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Phormer Phantom Phixer
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 09:25:48 PM »
I have a 2013 Hyundai Veloster and I would take that over a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud in a real heartbeat. Yes, the RR has a better ride but I get 40 miles per gallon and in the four years I have owned I have only had one $70 repair. Insurance, gas and repairs are all a lot cheaper. If I want to be comfortable sitting down I will sit in my recliner and watch TV. ;D I too used to own a hot rod. 1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 and I built it up. Did 12s at the Long Beach drag strip.

My kid had a Velosaraptor, it was a nice car, but I had a real hard time getting in and out of it.  I was okay once I got in there, but getting out sucked.  Not knocking Hyundai's, just too big for them.

When we went full time we sold my wife's Subaru Tribeca, a '61 F-100 pickup(302 4bbl/C6 p/s p/b), a '54 Chevy panel truck(235/T5 5sp.)and 3 Harleys. 
I'm over hot rods, but apparently I'm not over working on cars.  I'm still thinking about adding some lift to my Wrangler after last winter in Quartzsite(not to mention some of the roads I've found in the Eastern Sierras so far this summer).
Wally Crow
Retired 30+ year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
FMCA F494768

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 09:41:47 PM »
Larry, Every coach builder had systems that the specific implementation is proprietary. All that means is it is set up for that specific coach. The comfort drive on your coach is  proprietary to that make and model of coach. Let's put this to bead. There is no system on a Newell that a top level shop can't fix. I can think of at least 3 near me that can and if I had one I would be confident taking it there knowing they have the expertise to fix any problem.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 09:23:51 AM »
Psheesh! I didn't think my statement was that argumentative!

Let me give an example of how custom designs can really hurt.
Recently a fellow got a great deal at auction on a custom Vantare coach from Featherlite. Vantares are in the same league as Newells, except that they start with a Prevost bus shell.   There had been a small fire caused by a short in the power distribution panel.  Very little damage except to the panel & wiring. No big deal, right?   Well, the power panel is designed and built by Featherlite and tailored as needed for the coach.  It was damaged enough that no shop would re-wire it, so the fellow tried to get a replacement. Featherlite wasn't using that base design in newer coaches, but said they could make one from the blueprints for an estimated $17,000 and 6-12 months lead time.  The fellow asked if somebody else could build it and Featherlite offered to provide the blueprints for free, but he could only find one place willing to do a one-of-a-king build and the price was north of $25k.  But WAIT!  That's not all. The estimate to repair and reconnect the wiring once the new panel was available was another  30-60 hours @ $125/hr.  So he was looking at well over $20k to replace a part that could have been done for around $1200-$1800 in production Class A coaches.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:32:48 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 09:29:27 AM »
My kid had a Velosaraptor, it was a nice car, but I had a real hard time getting in and out of it.  I was okay once I got in there, but getting out sucked.  Not knocking Hyundai's, just too big for them.
Mine is a Veloster. Getting in and out is telling me do not gain another pound.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2018 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »
A while back I faced a choice between a Cadillac sedan and a Hyundai Azera (I had a Cadilac STS at the time). After comparing all technical specifications and driving both cars it turned out that the Hyundai had every bell and whistle that the Cadillac did and drove and rode just as well, not to mention being about $30,000 less. That model has now grown to be a Genesis.

I bought the Hyundai (2006) and last year passed it on to our daughter. Everything still works and it still drives like a luxury car.

Ernie
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:57:22 AM by Ernie n Tara »
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »
A while back I faced a choice between a Cadillac sedan and a Hyundai Azera (I had a Cadilac STS at the time). After comparing all technical specifications and driving both cars it turned out that the Hyundai had every bell and whistle that the Cadillac did and drove and rode just as well. That model has now grown to be a Genesis.

I bought the Hyundai (2012) and last year passed it on to our daughter.

Ernie
When I was car shopping for the Veloster a friend of mine who knows a lot about cars told me Hyundai was not the best brand of car to buy. I researched the issue and discovered that every single list of the most cars with the highest owner satisfaction that Hyundai was in the top five. So I investigated further because my friend was usually right about cars. Turns out that around 2000 the Hyundai was at the bottom of the customer satisfaction polls everywhere. So Hyundai decided to do something about it. They raised the quality control at their factories way up, went to a 60,000 mile warranty and put in a lot of changes to change their customer standing. I feel it all really worked because this has been the best car I ever owned. I had plans to replace it with a Tesla in the near future but I have abandoned those plans because I love the car so much. It will be paid off in two years and I will keep it as long as possible.
Favorite 2018 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

andersonchix

• ---
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 07:39:44 PM »
It is 25 yrs old. It doesn't have any slides which is kinda appealing to me.  It looks immaculate from all the pics we have seen. It's still a lot of money to pay for something that old and a long way to go just to see it in person. We have fell in love with the pics and can see ourselves in it but we keep coming back to its still pretty old and what will it take if it needs repairs???? Thanks for the feedback!!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 08:20:45 PM »
The age wouldn't bother me as long as it is well kept mechanically and cosmetically.  The potential cost of repairs, though, is a bit daunting.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 09:28:15 PM »
It is 25 yrs old. It doesn't have any slides which is kinda appealing to me.  It looks immaculate from all the pics we have seen. It's still a lot of money to pay for something that old and a long way to go just to see it in person. We have fell in love with the pics and can see ourselves in it but we keep coming back to its still pretty old and what will it take if it needs repairs???? Thanks for the feedback!!
Go read what I said about having it inspected.
If you can live with no slides and are looking for a quality coach look here there are several. Not a Newell but on the same level of quality.
https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2000-Foretravel-Motorhome-36-U320-6964258?ref=list
Look at some of the outhers on there and tell me what you think.
Gary, who was the people who they tried to get to make the panel?
Bill
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:50:42 PM by WILDEBILL308 »
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

sightseers

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 10:56:05 PM »
I have a near 20 year old Rexhall 35BSL ..(a bottom dweller in the motorhome hierarchy) and it's fine, nothing really ever goes wrong that can't be be fixed with a screwdriver.

I'm sure a 25 year old million dollar coach (even one without slides) is probably amazing..but don't so be afraid of slides,  they work fine and make a world of difference in RVs. For whatever reasons the high end rigs were slow to come the Slide game.

Too many newcomers in the RV world are told by 'others' that you should only buy high end rigs because everything else is just problems.
 While some of that may be true because of price point workmanship, most of the components are all the same,  so IMO there are still plenty of very good used RV's out there that are not million dollar rigs.. with slides,  that are still dependable and worth spending your hard earned dollars on.

if you are not a handyman defiantly pay to have it inspected,  good luck and have fun  :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:19:35 PM by sightseers »