rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Visitors to US - obtaining US Drivers License  (Read 4260 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Visitors to US - obtaining US Drivers License
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 08:05:39 AM »
Thanks Tony, that could be useful information for others in the future.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

TonyL

• ---
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2019, 08:13:48 AM »
Anything to help, after all, that is how we got sorted.
TonyL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 08:47:34 AM »
A relative works at DVLA in Swansea (the original 'centralised' site prior to regional offices being set up), and several years ago told me they'd finally replaced the A4 licence with a credit card sized licence. I've been searching for our old A4 licences for quite a few years (call it nostalgia), but haven't found them.

Prior to obtaining California licences, I was waiting to be pulled over by the long arm of the law so I could present my A4 licence Welsh side up; Wanted to see the reaction  :o
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:50:14 AM by Tom »

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 11:40:05 AM »
I think the credit card version is self explanatory but does not tell you of any convictions. They totally banned the paper versions a few years ago and it is illegal to use them I believe.

You can now go online and see your credentials! So if you got stopped then this might be an option if there were any issues...

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Attached screenshots from checking mine! All aboard!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:44:01 AM by jackiemac »
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til who knows....

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 12:17:47 PM »
Thanks Jackie, good info. Since I can't find the paper licence, I don't know the number, although I do know my NHS number. Meanwhile, the paper licence expired on my 70th birthday, so I probably can't even apply for a replacement  :(   

Don't know if you were around when folks importing their US RV into the UK ran into width issues while attempting to register with DVLA. Here's a satirical article on the resolution in our forum library. Couldn't control/help myself at the time  ;D

TonyL

• ---
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »
As far as I know, the old paper driving licence is still valid but has not been issued for some years. When it is returned for change of address you will now get the ID card licence. What is illegal is just carrying the paper portion of the new licence without the card. The last time my licence was inspected by Swansea when they wanted to write on it, it was retuned, mind you, with the age of it, it should have been on papyrus!
TonyL

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2019, 06:15:45 PM »
Thanks Jackie, good info. Since I can't find the paper licence, I don't know the number, although I do know my NHS number. Meanwhile, the paper licence expired on my 70th birthday, so I probably can't even apply for a replacement  :(   

Don't know if you were around when folks importing their US RV into the UK ran into width issues while attempting to register with DVLA. Here's a satirical article on the resolution in our forum library. Couldn't control/help myself at the time  ;D
Ha ha  very good!

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2019, 06:17:52 PM »
As far as I know, the old paper driving licence is still valid but has not been issued for some years. When it is returned for change of address you will now get the ID card licence. What is illegal is just carrying the paper portion of the new licence without the card. The last time my licence was inspected by Swansea when they wanted to write on it, it was retuned, mind you, with the age of it, it should have been on papyrus!
TonyL
Yes you are correct Tony. I thought they had enforced the card style licence but obviously not!

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2019, 06:46:28 AM »
Just a side note in Alabama, when you get your License. They print a temporary paper License...Then mail the finial License.
So you would have to have a mail address. I don't know if a PO box would work.

You have to have a driverís license in Alabama?  ;D
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »

You have to have a driverís license in Alabama?  ;D
(:( (:( (:(
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981, All SAC)
305BW, 44SMW, 321SMW, 15thAF,HqSAC
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-12 & Squeak-7, Winnie the ShihTzu - 2

Murray

• ---
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2019, 08:17:29 PM »
Tom,
The agent we used to get our insurance was not in Texas but in Montana. Whether it was due to the vehicles being registered there got us a cheaper quote we are not sure. The agent was Garden City Insurance, very easy to deal with, super friendly and understanding about being non US citizens.
regards
TonyL
Hi Tony, the insurance we have is with Progressive. I'll see if garden city can get it cheaper next year, thanks.

AnneV

• ---
    • VEHQ Blog
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2019, 12:04:21 PM »
Great discussion here. Just thought I'd add for anyone searching here for info on using the international license when renting in the US.

We have an Israeli card license with a photo. The text on it is in English, in addition to Hebrew, so it's usually enough for the rental companies. Most don't ask for an additional international license. We always get one when we visit the US, just in case they will but some people think they can get away without one.

Turns out, even if they let you take the vehicle without an international license, if anything happens, your insurance may be void because you didn't have one. The small print in the rental agreement states that you need an international license, and insurance companies being what they are, will gladly wriggle out of paying based on that.

So, bottom line, if you plan on renting a vehicle in the US without the additional international license, check your rental agreement very carefully to make sure it's not required for insurance purposes.

frank1947

• ---
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2019, 11:16:29 AM »
In the United States, driver's licenses are issued by each individual state, territory, and the District of Columbia rather than by the federal government because of the concept of federalism. More info is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27s_licenses_in_the_United_States