Anyone here live full time in their unit on their property?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I have mine on my property, I dont live in it full time but still would like to discuss how others manage.

Im gonna soon be digging a well, Ive never experienced this and Id like to know what its like to hit water....how will I know. Shallow well, less than 30 feet deep. 

Lots more to talk about but Ill wait to hear back from someone

I live full time on someone else's property, an RV park. It cost me $425 a month with a fabulous view of the lagoon in my backyard. The $425 includes, water, sewer, trash and yard maintenance. If I have a problem, like when my water pipe broke, the maintenance man was here in a few minutes. Living in an RV park is a lot easier than maintaining my own property. I know that is not what you want to hear, but it is my reality.

Edited to add missing digit from 1st monthly fee

I have no idea, a little too cold in winter in this neck of the woods. How can you be sure you will have potable water in less than thirty feet and how will you dig less than a bomb crater? Sounds like you need to contact professionals.

I didn't live in my RV, but I did develop a lot from scratch on an island near the Olympic Peninsula and then my ex-wife and I moved a modular home onto the property.

1930 said:
I'm gonna soon be digging a well, Ive never experienced this and Id like to know what its like to hit water....how will I know. Shallow well, less than 30 feet deep. 

You'll know, you'll start seeing muddy soil, then when you hit water it will seep into the bottom of the hole.  You'll have to continue digging until there's enough water seeping in fast enough to create a pool at the bottom of the well that you can draw from.  The water may start out muddy but should clear up as you draw water from the well and the loose soil washes out.

Have the water tested to make sure it's safe being that close to the surface.  And be sure you're far enough from the septic field to avoid contamination - in our case the County required at least 150 ft. seperation between the well and the closest point of the septic field.

You'll have to line the well to prevent the sides from caving in or having surface water drain in and contaminate it.  Usually this means running a pipe down the well large enough to let the well pump pass through to the bottom and pump the water up to the surface.  You can't have the pump at the surface, at the most you can only suck water a few feet.

On rare occasions you may hit an artesian source, but this is usually only on deeper wells.  Where we built was surrounded by salt water in Puget Sound and by talking to neighbors we learned there were two layers of fresh water.  The first was at 30-50 ft. and was fed by rainwater falling on the island, the other was 200+ ft. down and was a glacial flow from British Columbia.  In between was a layer of clay and there was a clay cap on the surface - there were only a couple of locations on the 5 acre parcel where the ground would "perc" enough for a septic leach field, i.e water would seep into the ground at an acceptable rate if you poured it into a hole instead of having it just sit there in a puddle.

We hired a well driller and they went down 210 ft. before hitting water, then the level in the well rose to 180 ft from the artesian pressure.  We used iron pipe to line the well and it gave very good quality water.

On another piece of property on the island my wife's uncle "witched" the well location using a pair of divining rods back in the 1960s and hit the surface water layer at 30 ft.  He hand dug the well and lined it with concrete sewer pipe capped by a cement floor in the well house.  It was an excellent well, the water was a bit saltier than our 200 ft. well but it never ran dry and in fact produced enough water to help out a neighbor when their shallow well ran dry in the summer months.

We live full time in our fifth wheel on my wife's parents property right now. We have our own 50 amp pedestal we installed, water supply that we tapped into, a septic tank for our sewer needs, and we bought a couple of big propane tanks, one a 260 gallon and a 155 gallon propane tank so we can buy it at bulk rate.

No way to multi quote on this form that I can see.

I have property just outside of Ocala Fl near rainbow springs.

Here is a link to a you tube video that I plan to use as reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rYPRMm8Arw&t=92s Skip to 26.11

The first 26 minutes discusses water witching which I do not plan to do.

Lou Schneider: Quote: You'll know, you'll start seeing muddy soil, then when you hit water it will seep into the bottom of the hole.  You'll have to continue digging until there's enough water seeping in fast enough to create a pool at the bottom of the well that you can draw from.  The water may start out muddy but should clear up as you draw water from the well and the loose soil washes out.

I have nothing but sand, its literally a beach on my property, your saying the sand will start to get wet, are you saying that when I hit water the deeper I go the wetter it will get?

Or is there a possibility that I hit some water, it starts seeping in, i continue digging but there isnt enough water flowing in to provide any real amount of water from in the future?

How will I know the difference?

Wont the water just wash out any sand that I am trying to bring to the surface with my hand held auger like the one used in  the video?

I will not be drinking the water, I need water though on the property so that I can wash things  like my equipment when done for the day

If you are all sand you may be able to drive a well point, google that for more info.  I don?t have any personal experience with them.  Here is a video on one also.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6yIX-YCNKh0

ClassyC said:
If you are all sand you may be able to drive a well point, google that for more info.  I don?t have any personal experience with them.  Here is a video on one also.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6yIX-YCNKh0

Yes all sand and I've looked at well points, I could go that route but I'm afraid to not hit any water, can't get the point out of the ground and alot of money/effort wasted.

1930 said:
Yes all sand and I've looked at well points, I could go that route but I'm afraid to not hit any water, can't get the point out of the ground and alot of money/effort wasted.
You live in Florida. It is almost impossible to dig and not hit water. This place was a swamp until the European guys filled it all in to make it habitable.

1930 said:

Well points aren't very expensive. You'd probably only have to go down 10' to 15'. Like Tom said, the water table is very high in most parts of FL unless you're on a knoll.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AquaPro-Well-Drive-Point-160511/302427222?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD26P%7C26-5_PUMPS%7CNA%7CPLA%7c71700000033850291%7c58700003917961056%7c92700031583966340&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI34qv5rPh4gIVRsDICh2IfAcUEAYYASABEgLOlPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A friend used a high-pressure hose to "dig" a shallow well in Florida, about 40 miles northeast of you.  He rented the pump and hose to do that.  I don't know much about that technique, but you can learn more online I'm sure.

I have an  shallow well on my property east of Ocala and it went semi-dry several years ago - water no longer flowed in fast enough to sustain irrigation of our lawn. This was at about 30 ft. Some neighbors had difficulty as well.  Water table has recovered somewhat in the past 3 years, but I removed the well pump before that.

County health regs now require that potable water wells go through the shallow layer(rainwater) and get down to the deeper aquifer fed by water running down the East Coast backbone (Appalachian Mtns). Irrigation wells can be any depth.

I used to live in Cocoa, Florida.  My yard had a driven well for irrigation,  it was 10 feet deep. It dried up in droughts. I later lived in Fort Lauderdale. There, I had a 2" driven well put in. It went  down 101feet. I used a centrifugal pump on the surface. The well point failed after15 years and I was pumping a lot of sand.  In the Ocala area you're  likely to run into hardpan (marl) about 5 feet down. That stuff is nigh impossible to dig by hand. But if you're really digging in sand, you run the risk of it caving in on you..

I am assuming you don?t need to worry about local zoning for your plot, but it would still be useful to have a chat with the county health and sanitation department. They will know more about the requirements for your type of soil and at your location than we will. How far you need to separate perp fields for a septic system, if a septic system won?t be possible and you need to go for a pit, where the water table is, etc. They are generally very helpful.

ChasA said:
It went  down 101feet. I used a centrifugal pump on the surface. The well point failed after15 years and I was pumping a lot of sand.

Did you mean 10' ?
I assume the screen mesh on the point failed. Is that what you figure also?

Rene, no, I meant one hundred and one feet. I southern Florida  they have problems with salt-water intrusion where salt water gets into shallow wells. Yes my guess is that the screen on the well point failed.

http://marion.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/environmental-health/drinking-water/index.html

Get a permit and a professional.  I have a well in this area, that was sunk 45 years ago. 

If a Sandpoint is used how would one know that he has hit water?

Since your not drawing material to surface how am I able to tell?

I'm going on you tube again

ChasA said:
Rene, no, I meant one hundred and one feet. I southern Florida  they have problems with salt-water intrusion where salt water gets into shallow wells. Yes my guess is that the screen on the well point failed.

Wow, you drove a point 101'. That must have been fun. How long did it take?  Here in NH, I've tried to drive a point and got down about 10' and hit clay. I was unable to go any further. Also ledge here is plentiful. They do call NH the Granite State.  My drilled well here at my home has only 15' of well casing because of ledge. The other 150' is in ledge.

How do you drive a point that far and what sort of a pump to pull the water?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom