JB Weld - does it work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Hi here are some pics to help explain my question.  I wanted a flagpole for my property and lowes wanted $113 bucks for a kit, way too much for me.  So in the garden department they have 10.5' long and 1.31 inch heavy duty poles (already painted black) which are used for the top rail of a chain link fence.  Seems to be heavy enough and not long enough to fail.  So that cost me $24 bucks (they were on sale last week for $11 bucks but i was stupid and didnt get one), they even come with a cap (see pic) that i can run my rope through, and i found a cleat i could use at the hardware store for $1.00.  I wanted a boat cleat but could not find one under $20 locally.

Now to my question, i mounted the cleat to the pole but since the pole is round and the cleat is flat there is a tiny little gap on both sides of the cleat  mount (arrow in pic)

Even with the two screws im afraid that the pressure will pull the cleat lose.  So i thought about using some JB weld or something in those gaps on either side to help give the cleat a flat secure place to rest. 

I have never used  JB Weld,  does it work or is there a alternative short of getting the cleat  spot welded on there?

Attachments

• polecap.jpg
    polecap.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 38
  • ropecleat.jpg
    ropecleat.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 41
  • cleatspace.jpg
    cleatspace.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 35
Should work just fine. Kinda thin however just mix enough to pour one side at a time. Depending on which material the drying or set time can be 5 minutes or longer. I keep JB in the MH for emergencies.

Cheers

I'd use the putty form of JB Weld, it's easier to form into the needed shape to make a platform for the cleat.

It comes in a tube looking like a jelly roll, with a dark center surrounded by lighter paste.  Cut off a slice and then knead it like bread dough until the two parts are combined and the whole thing's a uniform color.

Roughen up the pipe with coarse sandpaper to give it something to grip, then mush it in between the pipe and the cleat.  Sets in 5 minutes, can be drilled, sanded, etc. in 60 minutes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/J-B-Weld-Jb-Weld-Steel-Stick-Epoxy-Putty-Stick/137106331

Back
Top Bottom