Can information be recovered from a dead hard drive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I highly recommend that you replace mechanical drives with SSDs,
I have owned dozens of hard drives in the last 32 years and not one mechanical failure. My only hd failure was with a SSD. It was one of the first ones made many years ago and currently every hard disk I own is an SSD except my Windows computer which I never use any more since Windows is basically worthless. All it does is download updates and install them.

Glad it worked out,

Seilerbird:
I did IT admin for a number of years, I wish I could say the same,

Ike

Sounds like the motor on the drive got stuck.  I've had a lot of luck holding the drive firmly in hand and giving it a couple quick flicks.  It causes the platter to turn a bit inside the drive.  Glad to hear you got the data recovered.

Yeah, not really sure. When I pulled the drive out I banged it pretty good trying to see if it would help, it didn't. I was ready to give up hope when I thought of making the recovery drive from my computer.  I don't know if it had any effect on the drive or not, I had my doubts because my machine is W-10 and hers is W-7. 

It wasn't until I removed the recovery drive and did a restart that the machine booted up again. I'm not techy enough to know if it had any effect on it or not.

SargeW said:
Thanks guys! But I just had a one in a million shot of luck. After reading your previous posts I started examining the DW old laptop to see if I could figure out what kind of drive it had (before taking it apart again).  Then I realized that my laptop was the same series # as hers, just newer (and windows 10. Hers was windows 7). 

So I made a recovery drive on a 128GB USB drive and tried it in her laptop. I tried changing the boot order all around, but I never got past the windows logo without the machine saying that "there is a problem with your computer and will restart". 

I was about ready to give up so I figured I would just return to the original HDD boot, and see if I plugged in the USB drive while it was starting if it would recognize it. I pulled the USB drive and hit the power button again, but this time the thing started to boot up!

It made it all the way through, and I was able to get to the start page. I opened up and went right to the back up manager. I stuck the USB drive back in and copied all of her documents. It only took seconds. Then I figured what the heck, I am now attempting to make a copy of her whole hard drive.  She didn't have a lot of stuff on it, so it should fit easily on the USB drive. 

Yaay! Thanks for the bump, I may not have ever started examining the computer specs without your help.

lol u saved ur hdd! was wondering that day whether u will get it salvaged.
must save all the photos and memories ;)

Back
Top Bottom