Send power to lights/brakes but not inverter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jey

Hello guys,

Is there a way I can bypass my inverter to test my electric brakes?

I have things unhooked/unwired right now inside the trailer like 12v wiring for appliances and outlets so I?ve unhooked the battery as to not cause a fire.

Is there a way to send electricity just to the exterior lights and brakes?

The only line going to the house on the 7 pin connector is the battery charging line.  If you isolate it, probably where it connects to the (+) battery terminal, you can plug the connector into the truck and test the brakes and lights without sending any voltage into the house wiring.

Make sure the breakaway switch has it's pin in place, if it's pulled it will send battery voltage to the brakes or vice-versa, brake voltage to the battery line.

Here's a diagram of the trailer plug:

https://cdn.ajtnt.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-2.png

BTW, it's converter, not inverter.  The inverter changes battery voltage into 120 volts to feed the outlets in the trailer.  ;)

X2 on Lou said.  Do you have a brake controller in your tow vehicle?  That will be needed to check your brakes, although I'm sure someone could easily assist you with wiring direct to them for a check.

Looking at Lou's diagram, run a jumper wire from pin #4 (battery pin) in your trailer plug one at a time to the other pins, you can check out everything. DO NOT run it to pin #1. That's the ground.

I guess I should have noted I have a self powered trailer light/electric brake 7cpin breakout box that I intended to test everything with

Back
Top Bottom