Eco Diesel Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aguablanco

Thought I would post a final update regarding my purchase of the 2017 Eco Diesel. I have now had this truck for almost 8 months and had two 1200 mile plus tows. Both tows went over high passes one over 7000' the other ~3600'. This engine is amazing! It has more power than the Chevy 5.3 gasser than I ever expected. Went over Raton Pass, 7000'+, last year with the 5.3 and the truck struggled to maintain 45 mph at 3500 rpm while the trans and coolant temp climbed to near redline. This year, with the Ram, climbed the pass at 60+mph at ~ 2300 rpm and never got near redline on any gauge. Add in the fact that after 1400 miles from Mesa, AZ to Trinidad,CO and back I averaged 16.1 mpg and I am willing to call this truck a winner in every category. For any trailer under 6500# loaded this is a great truck.
I certainly appreciated the fact that the diesel generates power and torque at much lower rpm's than the 5.3 ever could. I did install the Green Diesel Engineering tune shortly after purchase and that added 8 hp. However, that is not why I installed it. The main benefit of the GDE tune is how it changes the power curve for HP and torque. While I know and understand that any 3/4 ton diesel will outperform my EcoD, I don't see many 1/2 ton gassers doing better, no matter which engine they have. https://www.greendieselengineering.com/PerfCompFCAEcoDiesel.action I have linked the GDE power curve info for reference.
RichH

That eco deisel is 1expensive option on a 1/2 ton, the power is undoubtedly awesome but it would take a lot of fuel to even it out over a gas job the 6.0 or 6.2,l would be better than a 5.7

steveblonde said:
That eco deisel is 1expensive option on a 1/2 ton, the power is undoubtedly awesome but it would take a lot of fuel to even it out over a gas job the 6.0 or 6.2,l would be better than a 5.7
While it is around a $4000 add on it is still much less expensive than any 3/4 ton diesel which was my only other viable option. Here in Phoenix diesel is only about 10 cents more per gallon than 87 octane gas and since my mileage is at least 60%+ better than my Chevy 5.3 I am way ahead by my calculations. Add in the fact that I bought the truck, which had a $38,000 sticker, with 11,500 miles for $26,400 out the door and it really becomes a great deal. BTW, nice looking pup.
RichH
RIchH

At my RV park here in so. cal. I see more and more 1/2 tons pulling RVs than ever before.

I think the 5th wheel manufactures are finally obliging all the 1/2 ton owners...lots of very nice 1/2 ton towables showing up.

I'm even seeing lots of retired couples in Toyotas and Nissans pulling 5th wheels now days.

I'm not surprised. I bought my trailer because I could pull it with a 1/2 ton so I didn't have to have a 3/4 ton daily driver. I only tow about 6k per year so why drive a behemoth the other 10k-15k through the year? My friends tow a 36' 5'r with the Nissan Cummins and it seems to work OK. They use the Nissan almost exclusively for towing. With the price of 3/4 tons being what they are I expect more people to buy trailers that are 1/2 ton towable in the future. My max trailer weight will always be 6500#, or less, loaded. Sure wish one of the manufacturers would come up with a 24'-26' 5'r in my weight range.
RichH

I saw this cool looking new diesel powered Chevy Colorado towing a 2 axle Airstream trailer.

My neighbor has that model Colorado and they are inline 4 cylinder diesels. 180 hp and 370 ft lb of torque. Says 7700# tow capacity and about 1600# cargo capacity. Not too bad for a small truck. Bigger down side is 17 mpg city and 24 mpg hwy. I reached those numbers with my 5.3.
RichH

The Nissan diesel i looked at was a top of the line Platinum and the payload was about 1350lbs if i remember correctly. Which when you add a hitch and a couple adults leaves a pin weight cargo cap of well less than 1000lbs. A 1/2 ton ford has the exact same body z
As the 3/4 and 1ton just different frames. While the mileage msy be okay my 39ft Voltage had a pin of 3000 lbs which would unfortunately squash a 1/2 or 3/4 ton

5th wheel trailers must be getting bigger and heavier...many of the toy haulers I see coming in are being pulled by new F450's,   

I guess even a 1 ton can't handle them.

sightseers said:
5th wheel trailers must be getting bigger and heavier...many of the toy haulers I see coming in are being pulled by new F450's,   

I guess even a 1 ton can't handle them.

My 350 has a 500lb higher payload than a 450 reason being the 450 has lower gears and lighter but wider front axle that has a smaller turning radius. The 450 is designed as a work truck for hauling bobcats and backhoes . I looked at one very very seriously when i bought my 350 because the dealer had one on the lot with the same options as my 350, the 350 i actually bought has to be shipped in
The 450 they had i could have gotten cheaper but i wanted the talletgears for mileage

steveblonde said:

sure is, my 2500 ctd was just a few dollars shy of the 1500 ED !

aguablanco said:
What year and engine?
RichH

2016 longhorn 2500 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel

when i was shopping, the stealership had 1500 ED's on the lot for $51,000
my 2500 was 53k and some change.

I wonder the price difference is between a F450 or a RAM 4500 ... and a Freighliner FL50 ?

I'm starting to see more people pulling the bigger 5th wheels these really cool double cab FL50s.

Attachments

• s_main.jpg
    s_main.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 31
steveblonde said:
The Nissan diesel i looked at was a top of the line Platinum and the payload was about 1350lbs if i remember correctly. Which when you add a hitch and a couple adults leaves a pin weight cargo cap of well less than 1000lbs. A 1/2 ton ford has the exact same body z
As the 3/4 and 1ton just different frames. While the mileage msy be okay my 39ft Voltage had a pin of 3000 lbs which would unfortunately squash a 1/2 or 3/4 ton
Just to correct you, the body is different on the Ford superdutys than the f150, different cab, different doors, different bed.
Chevy and dodge use the same bodies on all their trucks.

72cougarxr7 said:
Just to correct you, the body is different on the Ford superdutys than the f150, different cab, different doors, different bed.
Chevy and dodge use the same bodies on all their trucks.
wrong i have both a 17 super duty and a 19 F150 they are the same

steveblonde said:
wrong i have both a 17 super duty and a 19 F150 they are the same

That is correct, there are only minor differences to accommodate the different drive train and and payloads.  Before the last body change they were totally different trucks.  I have put off trading to the new style, because I hate to pay so much more for an F150 with Super Duty guts under it.

lynnmor said:
That is correct, there are only minor differences to accommodate the different drive train and and payloads.  Before the last body change they were totally different trucks.  I have put off trading to the new style, because I hate to pay so much more for an F150 with Super Duty guts under it.

yes obviously there are minor changes to accommodate headlights etc grills etc but my interior is 100% identical in layout and function between the 2 trucks and so is are the doors and box albeit my super duty is loaded and my work truck is just an xlt so Major differences there

lynnmor said:
I have put off trading to the new style, because I hate to pay so much more for an F150 with Super Duty guts under it.

Then think of it as a Super Duty with an F150 complexion. After all, it's the guts that count.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes09
Back
Top Bottom