Grand Canyon-Tusayan, AZ Boondocking Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamsend

I thought I'd do an update on my boondock in the Kaibab Nat'l Forest outside Grand Canyon - it was my first real adventure heading to a completely unknown area for camping.  I did end up at the very north end of Long Jim Loop road.  The road configuration is a little different since about 2012 as a biking asphalt trail has been constructed that goes from Tusayan into the park - about 6.5 miles.  I'm backed in up a long dirt spur that abuts this trail.  From historical Google maps, it looks like this spur was blocked with rocks prior to the trail construction. The problem in NF with solar of course is finding someplace with enough sunlight exposure, and this location gets JUST enough to keep things well energized, but I'm in shade after 2:00 p.m. or so.

I did spend about an hour yesterday driving some of the other forest service roads marked for camping on the MUV map for Tusayan district.  There are MANY excellent spots - even for big Class A's on FS Roads 306 and 688.  I saw about a dozen empty places that would be perfect (with more sun) for my trailer, and I may end up moving, maybe!  The problem with Long Jim Loop is that about half the turn outs from the road go through a gully and they are deeply rutted and the road is not in great condition.  A sewer main has been installed the entire length of the road ending with a huge manhole access about 20 yards from where I'm parked.  If you come in the south end of LJL road, you have to pass over 6 sets of speed bumps through the residential area.  The north access is much better.

FS Road 688 is particularly good - it's just 2 miles south along Hwy 64 from LJL on east side of highway. The road is smooth, the forest beautiful, not crowded and many, many nice spots - shade or sun either one.  306 is also good with just some potholes here and there, but again lots of room to pull out and get turned around.  Saw only a handful of rigs here and there on both roads.  Very secluded, but completely accessible and only a couple miles from gas, eats, etc. in Tusayan.

Also checked out Ten-X CG that is just another mile or so south of Tusayan and there were again, many open pull-through spots.  The entire outer loop of the CG is for walk-ins, and not reservable.  $10 per night or just $5 with your geezer pass.  Stopped in at the Ranger's office and he said there are plans to expand Ten-X quite a bit -- but I don't think there is a schedule to do so yet.  Also told me LJL is not a good place to be if it rains.  Said one guy was stuck for 4 days trying to get through one of the gullies - had to shovel dirt and rocks in.

So, next time it's definitely FS Road 688 for me!
Linda

You are making me nostalgic. I spent dozens of nights off Long Jim. But I can see where it would be an issue with solar power since it is a heavily wooded area.

SeilerBird said:
You are making me nostalgic.  . . But I can see where it would be an issue with solar power since it is a heavily wooded area.

The spot I'm in is okay for solar, but you are correct, some of the other pull-outs are too shaded.  Posted a couple pics so you really get nostalgic.  North end of LJL is up the incline in the background of first pic.

Thanks for your suggestion.  It worked out fine.

Linda

Attachments

• 20190612_083412 resz.jpg
    20190612_083412 resz.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190612_083431 resz.jpg
    20190612_083431 resz.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom