rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Am I right in assuming that the Cummins will make you wait if ....  (Read 599 times)

thelazyl

• ---
I think I am asking a basic question but I canít find an answer onlineÖ.

This is in regards to a 2003 Fleetwood Class A with Cummins 330hp.

We were pulling out of a campground at 8am.  It started right up and I proceeded to retract the slides and then the leveling jacks.  I had to back up about 10 feet to reach the dump outlet.  At that point I shut the engine down because I didnít want to disturb my fellow campers more than needed.

When I came back inside to start up again Ė it wouldnít start.  When I rotated the key to the right nothing happened.  After 5-10 minutes I got a neighbor camper to offer an opinion, but when I turned the key the Cummins started right up.  We were on the road the next 9 days and I didnít experience another problem.  I also avoided shutting down the engine after running only a few minutes.

Am I right in assuming that the Cummins will make you wait if you shut down after having it running only 3-5 minutes?

Roy M

• ---
Re: Am I right in assuming that the Cummins will make you wait if ....
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 01:09:53 PM »
Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight as well as the ground connection on the engine block.

Kevin Means

• ---
  • SolaRVector
    • SolaRVector
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 01:48:39 PM »
I am not aware of such a delay. I know our Cummins 8.9 doesn't have it. I suspect a glitch in the system.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 960 watts of solar with SolaRVector tilt
Lakeside, California

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »
Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight as well as the ground connection on the engine block.

X2

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 03:05:12 PM »
I've never experienced a delay. Like the others have said, check battery connections.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 03:26:02 PM »
 Being that Cummins engines are distinguished by the Cubic liters of displacement,, It is more clear which engine you have if you use liters instead of horsepower.  Each engine size has many different horsepower ratings..>>>Dan  ( I am sure you have a "wait" light on the dash,, this is to allow the intake heater to warm the intake air before you start it,,typical modern diesel. Observe that wait period,, especially in colder weather.)  In your case I would check the chassis batteries at the connections and the battery to starter connections including the starter solenoid connections.>>>Dan
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:02:40 PM by Utclmjmpr »
Vary rare American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Last year Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
FMCA F312919
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 05:36:39 PM »
Am I right in assuming that the Cummins will make you wait if you shut down after having it running only 3-5 minutes?
Just the opposite, in fact.  On many engine models in cold weather there will be a delay (a few seconds, not minutes) while the intake heats up. When restarting, it's already hot and cranks immediately.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 08:46:55 PM »

Gary is correct that when warm,, and you have experienced it,, the engine will start quickly,,,BUT,, it has to crank first!!
 In your case, you have a weak connection somewhere and it probably will occur again..( when you least expect it and at a terrible time).>>>D
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
FMCA F312919
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

jubileee

• ---
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 10:52:56 AM »
 IR temp gun can sometimes be an easy way to find a bad electrical connection, especially in hard to reach places. If Iím looking for an intermittent starting issue, Iíll start engine a couple- three times ( if itíll start) then shoot all starter/battery electrical connections with IR gun. Suspect connection(s) will be much warmer than good connection.
 If nothing happens or just a ďclickĒ when I turn the key, Iíll hold it in the start position for 10-15 seconds then shoot connections. Not as reliable because no load was put on starting system, but sometimes will point to bad connection.

thelazyl

• ---
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 12:14:26 PM »
Thank you all.  To address a few points:  Yes, I have an "engine wait" light that I wait to blink off before I turn the key.  In the 1 instance where I had the problem I don't recall if the light panel came on or not.

I am glad someone pointed out this will likely happen again.  I will look for bad connections at the battery and engine block - clean as necessary. 

I am not familiar with an IR Temp gun but I will research.

This forum is great - I appreciate everyone being so helpful.  I will update as soon as I know more.

thelazyl

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »
One last question:  My next step is to check the battery connections.  I plan to (1) check to see if any are loose (2) remove, clean, and re-attach as necessary.  When I used to do this on a car I was always careful to remove the negative terminal first. 

On my RV which has 2 batteries for the chassis I plan to do the same - remove the negative terminal on the line that connects to the engine block for grounding.  I can't think of anything to turn off ahead of time - since the appliances don't pull from this power source. 

If I don't find an issue with any of the terminals then my next step is to check the ground that goes to the engine block.

I'd appreciate it if you could confirm I have the right steps. 

House Husband

• ---
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 06:53:45 PM »
On the input side of your starter solenoid are multiple wires. Over time the copper ends crush causing a loose connection. Grab one of those wires and see if you can move it. If so, you need to take those wires off and clean every thing. I have seen this a few times on Cummins engines. Easy job, every thing in plane view.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:19:26 PM by House Husband »

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 09:12:43 PM »
On the input side of your starter solenoid are multiple wires. Over time the copper ends crush causing a loose connection. Grab one of those wires and see if you can move it. If so, you need to take those wires off and clean every thing. I have seen this a few times on Cummins engines. Easy job, every thing in plane view.

If you do need to remove the wires to clean these connections ....Take a couple of pictures as a reference for when your putting it back together.
2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

To be 1/2 the man my dog thinks I am...But twice the man My wife thinks I am...

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 09:23:03 AM »

Seen it 3 times on GM Automobiles (Gas) as myself.  Talked to the mechanic the first 2  Third one we just handed him the key (None of them were MY car.. 2 were departmental and 1st was my GF's)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 10:50:00 AM »

For years I have made it a habit to NOT shut the engine if pulled over to stretch our legs or allow the dog to pee.. In years past I have been stuck several times in a remote area and had that happen.. So I only kill it in a populated area where I can get help if needed.>>>Dan
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
FMCA F312919
      Albert Einstein.

thelazyl

• ---
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 11:04:22 AM »
Here is an update:
I checked the chassis battery connections - they are very solid and they were installed fairly recently by a professional tech.  The connection to the engine block is solid.  I am not ruling out a battery connection that needs cleaning .. however I am now suspecting something else that I should consider. 

1.  A solenoid?
2.  The parking brake?  In this last trip I caught myself twice forgetting to set it.  Frankly I don't remember what I did/did not do on the morning I had the problem.
3.  The transmission in park?  Ditto - I wasn't aware enough that morning to remember what I did/didn't do on the morning I had the problem

Thanks again for your help on this.  I will keep chipping away at it. 

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 12:45:47 PM »
    Sorry about coming late to the string, buy here is my immediate guess.  There is a switch at the transmision end that prevents the starter to engage if it isn't in neutral and I once had to clean the contacts as it didn't accept the signal confirming it was in neutral.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

thelazyl

• ---
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 12:57:33 PM »
Ed, thank you.  In your case is the switch on the transmission itself (for which I think I need to crawl under to see it) or is it underneath the "selector panel" I use from the driver's seat inside?

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 03:24:47 PM »
    The shift lever is attached tot he transmission via a cable.  The switch was at the end of the cable attached to the transmission and clearly visible.  You might try jiggling the shifter to see if you can get it to replicate the problem, but the good news is that once I cleaned the switch, we drove it for several years and many thousands of miles without any further re-occurrences.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

thelazyl

• ---
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »
Many thanks Ed!

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 05:14:40 PM »
 Being that you have a Cummins means you have air brakes. The only two things needed is to have the "dot valve" pulled ,,and the trans in neutral for starting.>>>Dan  ( Some models of M/H also have a lockout so the engine can't be started if any of the slides are not fully retracted.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:20:05 PM by Utclmjmpr »
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
FMCA F312919
      Albert Einstein.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 02:29:59 PM »
    Dan, there is a lock out if the transmission is now in neutral.  What I described was that somehow the lock out got misaligned and I had to clean and oil it.  It was an easy fix, but it was a major problem until I diagnosed the problem.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »

You hit a rare one Ed.>>>D
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
FMCA F312919
      Albert Einstein.