MPG - DUALLY W BIG NORTHERN LITE 10-2EX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SissyBoyFloyd

Which new 4wd p/u would get you best mpg? gas, diesel, ford, chevy, ram?  There're so many new specs, trannys, engines this year.  Does mpg differ that much any longer?  Are the new gas configurations matching the diesels in duallys?  Or, all things considered, are dually diesels still simply the best thing to put a 4 season camper on?  No worries trumps mpg every day.

New trucks have bigger payloads then they did a few years ago, so you could get single rear wheel. If you wanted to tow a trailer for toys or a boat, now your looking at a Dually. I'd plan for the future, not what will get you by for now. A Dually, since I have one to haul my Artic Fox 992 gets my vote. Diesel, not going to be much difference between the big 3 will get you around 9-10mpg average with the camper. I had a Dually gasser before and a lighter camper, I don't see me ever looking at a gas rig for a heavy duty truck,,,gregg

I'm not familiar with the weight of that camper, but we get 9-12 mpg depending on speed limits and terrain in our dooley deezul.

SissyBoyFloyd said:
Which new 4wd p/u would get you best mpg? gas, diesel, ford, chevy, ram?  There're so many new specs, trannys, engines this year.  Does mpg differ that much any longer?  Are the new gas configurations matching the diesels in duallys?  Or, all things considered, are dually diesels still simply the best thing to put a 4 season camper on?  No worries trumps mpg every day.

I have a 2018 Northern Lite 10-2, wife and I Love It! Its on a 2018 Ford F350 6.7 diesel, DRW 4x4 crew cab. Truck only drops 2" when camper installed, I have not added any additional suspension items, totally stock. Truck handles like the camper is not there, no buffeting going down highway, up and down mountains no problems. if I keep it to around 2000 rpm I get 13-14 mpg, however, if I have a heavy foot it drops down around 12 mpg. I get 17 mpg highway without camper.
A couple weeks ago I went to a meet up at a state park where I met the Runaway Roses. They did a great video tour of my camper.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fxr6Oh9YUM&t=115s
hope this helps.

Hi 2 Piece,

First off, great camper!

Question for you...I see you deployed the jacks when you were still mounted on the truck.  Is that to level out the camper or are you looking to take weight off the bed?  I'm curious because I've never done it.  We always keep it mounted and I never deploy the jacks when we're in it.  My unit is a lot lighter but I'm curious of the reasoning and if I should be using them.

Thanks for the help.

Thank you diannenaughton  for the kind words!
My camper is not really mounted to the truck in the video. I have Fast Guns and I release them from the tie downs then use the jacks just enough to level out the camper. I do not completely lift the camper out of the truck bed, just enough to get camper leveled, makes the camper a lot more stable. Takes about 5 minutes to level out camper. Time to leave I just let the camper down and retract the jacks and reattach the fast guns. I do not use blocks to drive truck up on to level camper.

The short answer on the MPG's is, not.  It doesn't really matter much.  Especially when you're talking a dually, it just doesn't matter.  Get the one that meets the needs of your camper, and what you are going to use it for. Then get the one that you like the best.  Or, get the one the wife likes best if there is one of those.  'Cause you know, if momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy.  But really, that's the crux of it.  The MPG differences will be so little, it just won't really matter in the end.

Good luck.

MPG and RVing just dont match up.  You want good MPG get a small car.  You want to go camping in comfort get the appropriate truck and pay the price at the pump.
Like others have said any of the big three diesels will return between 8 and 12 MPG working. Plus of course DEF added every 8,000 miles or so.
Gas trucks will generally return 2-3 MPG less towing the same load.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom