2008 Newmar brake controller-pre wired?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Troydklaw

I searched the library and did not see a prior thread on this.  I apologize if this has already been asked and answered.

I would like to install an electric brake controller on my 2008 Bay Star for use on a new enclosed cargo trailer.  Under the dash (almost above the park brake pedal) are two wires marked as ?Trailer Brake Extra Wires).  There is a red and a black.  On the same label it says ?Blue for Brake.?  Of course I?m looking for four wires, red-black-blue and white. 

Am I not seeing the blue and white up under there?  Did Newmar or Ford run wires up to the dash for a later brake controller install?

What is the purpose of the red-black but not the blue and white (assuming this is all that is there?)

Thank you for any help. 

Troy

Sounds like a good question for Newmar Customer Service, though I think the connector wires for the brake controller came with the chassis from Ford.  Newmar finishes it off, though.

I see references to adapter kits for Tekonsha controllers that seem to just plug into newer Ford/Bay Star's.https://www.etrailer.com/question-131231.html

Thank you Gary.  I?ll follow up with Newmar on Monday and post what I learn.  It is hard to imagine Newmar didn?t think through with a prewire for this.  I?m betting it?s there and I?m just not finding it. 

For the poor soul in the future who might be in a similar dilemma, attached is a photo showing where Ford left the electric brake control wiring plug in when it left the factory.  This is exactly where Newmar left it, taps up and stuffed deep behind the dash.  I was able to dig it out after removing the instrument cluster on the dash and digging deep with a pair of needle nose.  Why would a motorhome manufacturer not be thoughtful enough to anticipate an end user not needing this?  Nonetheless, for future reference if anyone else finds themselves in this situation. 

Attachments

• 638063A6-CA09-4308-B04A-9646D7BE0D22.jpeg
    638063A6-CA09-4308-B04A-9646D7BE0D22.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom