A lesson in what not to do.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

Doug is a great guy and I'm glad he is still alive to post this video.  Enjoy and reflect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E--WkxKW83w

Oh my!  How scary!  I was holding my breath watching it!  I always tell DH and DS to wear their life jackets but they just have them near.  Granted our lakes are not as big, but I am sharing this video with them!

Yikes. I assume that is the reason why boats that aren't as tall are typically much wider. Not to say that it can't happen still, but this is the very reason I hate canoes, row boats, and entry level fishing boats. They are so tipsy.

I always wear my lifejacket although it might only make it easier to find the body but nobody gewts in my boat without it on. I have never gone over touch wood but have come close a couple of times and that is enough.

We used to go out on Lake Okeechobee in a boat like that.
It's not that deep, but winds can churn it up pretty quick.
He was very lucky.

I am a lifelong boater. Not knowing what was gonna happen I was watching the sky, the wave and listening to the wind whip up. You coudn't tell what happened but I am glad he explained it afterwards. I was thinking they were gonna get swamped...

As a sailor and glider pilot I think I am very attuned to weather but I can see how being distracted by fishing one can lose track of it. He did say they talked about the wind coming up and didn't act.

I bought a 14 foot boat just like that this year and started fishing. I admit I to am very lax about wearing a jacket vs. having it in the boat. I have a slim line inflatable and am gonna start wearing it. I only fish in local lakes and usually hang around in 10 foot water... plenty enough to drown if you get knocked out... or incapacitated...

Great lesson.

Back
Top Bottom