Mahoney at Davis Cabinets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day 4 Not much progress. The largest wood structure is the floor of the overehead that has the holes for the air ducts, dash radio speakers and map light. This will be reused. They carried it in and out several times, measuring, remeasuring, adding and subtracting wood to get it to match up with the new cabinet faces. After they got that satisfactory, They started the same process all over again with a 1/4 inch sheet of plywood to cover the ceiling 25 inches from the new stuff back to where evidence of construction could not be seen.

Day 5 My appt at Carrier is shifted to next week. The greatly modified wood pieces described above are sent out to Countryside Interiors to get reupholstered with a thin layer of foam and surface of pseudo-leather.

The installer putters about with temporary mounting the display panels and laying out the HDMI, and component audio-video cables.

After lunch, the upper dash floor arrives and 2 people shoehorn it into place. Now the rush is on! The bundles of wire get rearranged, circuit boards reinstalled, air handler em-placed and all the octopus arms attached to the outlet vents in the correct holes, dash radio speakers set, map light reattached, blinds screwed down, gauge panels get final reattachment.

Now it is 5:30 in the afternoon and we are read for the final event...The TV is brought in and installed. It fits the cabinet so closely that the attachment bolts must be tightened to pull it into its final resting place. The HDMI cables are first attached as they are inaccessible later.

Power up ... It works with Tivo on first try! Over the air HD is crisply clear and detailed with the batwing antenna still flat on the roof.

The installer, Rick Davis (father of Shaun who is over in Redmond manning the shop booth at "the rally""), and I do a rapid clean up, shake hands and we all depart for the weekend...me without paying up!

I will return in 5 days for the delayed appt at Carriers and to have larger electric blinds installed. Unfortunately, Shaun will have the bill ready by then.

After a fuel up, I departed Junction City at 7:15 PM and got over to Newport by 9 PM just as darkness settled in on a drizzly evening.

Sorry about the periods and spaces in the file names, OSX allows it, so I thought no further.

Attachments

• 1-install-TVcabinet.jpg
    1-install-TVcabinet.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 2-test-fit-floor.jpg
    2-test-fit-floor.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 3-test-fit-ceiling.jpg
    3-test-fit-ceiling.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 4-floor-arrives.jpg
    4-floor-arrives.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 68
  • 5-floor-installed.jpg
    5-floor-installed.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 86
  • 6-TV-going-in.jpg
    6-TV-going-in.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 78
  • 7-final-result.jpg
    7-final-result.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 8-right-panel.jpg
    8-right-panel.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 9-left-panel.jpg
    9-left-panel.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 10-access-door-on-rear-of-TV.jpg
    10-access-door-on-rear-of-TV.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 90
Very nice installation, looking forward to seeing in for real this winter.

Most folks didn't have a problem with the spaces and periods, but it's a good practice to avoid them in general in file names.

Russ,

As expected Davis Cabinet did a GREAT job for you.  It looks great!

JerryF

Russ,

Wow!  All that stuff really did fit back into place!  I hope you like your installation as much as we like ours.

ArdraF

Jep, I am loving it. Now making a list of minor details overlooked in rush to finish last Friday eve. Will get those attended to on return visit Wed.

Hi Russ,
  The cabinetry and window and sunset look very nice!
How about mounting some foam rubber on the TV cabinet corners
so it won't hurt as much when I hit my head on it.
Stay cool(not to bad here today)
Brian

Brian: The TV is flush wtih the front of the lower dash...no worries.

<<Stay cool(not to bad here today)>>

This is from a near lifelong resident of Phoenix AZ. Not bad in July is an oxymoron!

Back to Davis Cab

After a pleasant 5 night stay in Newport I am back in Eugene area for the penultimate series of service calls.

July 25. Carrier and sons. Drove over from the coast early this AM through mist and fog on the passes into sun in the Willamette valley. They installed the new color back up camera so quickly that I thought I would be done by noon... Hey, I am ever the optimist! Installing the sonar fuel tank sender turned out to be quite complicated.

The fuel tank is behind the front wheels with the sender located in the mid-line. Unfortunately, Carrier and sons do not employ any orangoutangs. Behind the fuel tank is an electronics bay accessed by a hatch in the front wall of bay #1. They had to dismount a bunch of gear from the front wall to access the fuel tank inspection port. So once again it is an hour of overtime.

I used their 30 amp hookup overnight and settled the bill Thursday morning.

Next stop 6 miles north at Davis Cabinet for finishing the 4 items we missed during our rush to get everything done the previous friday evening.

Mike the installer did that quickly and then I settled down to spend the rest of the day and night boondocking in their back lot. Tomorrow I go N to Albany for the Country Coach rally.

Russ,

Sounds like they are getting everything done.  Give us a report on the sonar fuel tank sensor as to how it works and any advantages it has.

Nice job, Russ. Are your cabinets in oak?  What is a sonar fuel tank sender?

Regards,
Jack and Liz
Summering in Buena Vista, CO

The cabinets are light oak.

The fuel tank level detector uses ultrasonic sound to detect fuel level. Promises to be very accurate.

Tonight, Silverleaf will finish up running wires to hook up the new back up cameera and fuel sender to complete his install.

Russ,

>>The fuel tank level detector uses ultrasonic sound to detect fuel level. Promises to be very accurate.

That is the type we used in the Space shuttle Orbiter tanks, they worked quite well even in space where the liquids floated in the tank.  G

I'm sure you will get more accuracy than with anything else, but do you really need that!!  VBG

If Betty isn't listening ,  Maybe Terry is working things out to where Russ may have to update again real soon.  LOL

Well yes, I really really need that...now that I have a digital dash, a digital fuel level sensor is required.

Ron

>>Russ is just giving Terry a challange to keep up with him.<<

Alas....Russ has now far overtaken me & now wears the title of "Russ the Toy Man"...It is a sad day in Brewerville.<G>

Terry A. Brewer said:
Alas....Russ has now far overtaken me & now wears the title of "Russ the Toy Man"...It is a sad day in Brewerville.<G>

Someone has to come in second...otherwise there's no 'winner' :)

Back
Top Bottom