6-Pin to 7-Pin Adapter Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeNNRV

Taking over repair, maintenance, and probably use of Dad's f250 Super Duty.  Has three trailer connections; 1 4-pin flat and 2 6-pin rounds (one in the bed for gooseneck horse trailer and one at bumper for utility trailer).
I see on etrailer the adapter that will allow use of my 7-pin RV connector.

Is there any loss of function when using this adapter?  I read in other threads that these adapters can be easily customized but that would probably lead to other questions.

Any pin out testing I should do before buying one?  I assumed my rv connector was built to a standard.

Attachments

• 7 Pin Connector Wiring Diagram.PNG
    7 Pin Connector Wiring Diagram.PNG
    322.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 6 Pin Connector Wiring Diagram.PNG
    6 Pin Connector Wiring Diagram.PNG
    240.8 KB · Views: 18
One of the things you need to know is the pin-definitionos on the connectors

4 and 7 pin are fairly common and the pins are (IN no particular order save 4 first)
Right turn/stop
Left turn/Stop
Tail
Ground
And on the 7 pin 
Brakes
Battery
Aux

6 pin may be the same but no AUX or no Ground.

Or .. Well my six pins are the first 4 (Those are common to all)
Pump and Pressure Sense  for my lube pump

(I drive a class A towing a car with a transmission lube pump)

So you need to make sure the pins have the same meaning.

Be aware there are 2 different wiring standards used on 6 pins so you need to know which one your trailer uses, if you plug a 6 pin trailer into the tow vehicle.      Some of the 7 blade (tow side) to 6 pin (trailer side) adapters have an easy to switch wire that lets you convert between the two wiring schemes.

The 7-pin round connector has a separate brake light connection...
The one in that attachment does, but most do not. The usual 7-pin has a combined stop & turn, as do most trailer wiring harnesses.  You find the alternate pin-out with separate brake pin on tow vehicles that have separate stop lights. I think you will find the one I've attached to be more common, on both tow vehicles and trailers.

Attachments

• wiring-7-pin_vehicle_side.jpg
    wiring-7-pin_vehicle_side.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 14
Gary RV_Wizard said:
The one in that attachment does, but most do not. The usual 7-pin has a combined stop & turn, as do most trailer wiring harnesses.  You find the alternate pin-out with separate brake pin on tow vehicles that have separate stop lights. I think you will find the one I've attached to be more common, on both tow vehicles and trailers.

I took the diagrams to show what he's working with, but yes, the more common 7-pin is a flat blade connector with combined stop and turn connections.

I see on etrailer the adapter that will allow use of my 7-pin RV connector.

Is there any loss of function when using this adapter?
Well, obviously 7 pins is more than 6, so one pin isn't getting fed.  ;)    The extra pin on a 7-pin is an auxiliary that can be used for a variety of things, but the most common is probably a backing light.  If the trailer utilizes the 7th pin for that or anything else, it is "lost".

I took the diagrams to show what he's working with, but yes, the more common 7-pin is a flat blade connector with combined stop and turn connections.
You may well be right, Dutch. His trailer is listed as a pop-up and they are often non-standard different when compared to larger RVs that use the bigger 7-pin. Which of course brings up the question of what sort of adapter he is looking at.

I assumed my rv connector was built to a standard.
It probably was, but it's "a" standard, not "the" standard. As can be seen, there is more than one.

There are also adapters available that enable a vehicle with combined stop/turn to mate with one that has separate stop lights.

It was my understanding that clearance lights were on the tail light circuit.  Also, many do not have a separate brake light, but this is combined with turn signals.

These two pins carry BRAKES and aux.
Somewhere, you MUST have wiring for trailer brakes!!!

Here is the e Trailer diagram for 6 and 7 pin wiring.    https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Back
Top Bottom