WA, Amanda Park to Portland OR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVMommaTo6

Has anyone driven both routes from the west side of Olympic NP to Portland Oregon? According to GPS, taking the highway is 181 miles, 3 hours 18 minutes where the scenic route is 219 miles, 4 hours 34 minutes. Is the scenic route a better option or the highway?

You have a park named after you? You are getting very famous.  ;D    I have not driven both routes but I cannot imagine taking an inland route when an ocean hugging route is available. The west coast is positively stunning from Tijuana to Vancouver. You can't go wrong. You are going to be there one month too late for the kite festival but you could detour and visit the Kite Museum.

http://kitefestival.com/

Which ever route you take I recommend at least one night at the Ho Rain Forest campground. One of only two rain forests in the lower 48. Positively stunning.

I'm a little upset that a whole state isn't named after me, but the park is a good start.
I'll do that! Thanks for the advice!

Amanda, stay on the ocean route, so much scenery to see and better camping. We live in Central WA, so going to the ocean is always a treat for us. Mora campground/Rialto beach near Forks,WA (made famous by the "Twilight" movie chain. Pacific Beach SP (if you can get in) Grayland SP & Cape Disappointment are also favorites. If you have time drive up to Neah Bay to visit the Makah Indian Museum. Then, drive out to Cape Flattery to take the hike out to the point. It is stunning out there!

RVMommaTo6 said:
I'm a little upset that a whole state isn't named after me, but the park is a good start.
I'll do that! Thanks for the advice!
Did you know Washington State has a town called George and a town called Martha. People go there to send postcards from George or Martha Washington.

About when will you be in that area? 

Are you making reservations or just plotting routes right now?

We're going to be in Florence Oregon the first week of August and I'm making reservations now. The Oregon coast is a very popular place in the summer due to the heat further inland.

I'll be in Washington Sept 14 and head to Oregon on the 29th. Some places I've made reservations and a couple don't take reservations so we'll just show up and if there's nothing available, head to the next one until there's an opening.

SeilerBird said:
Did you know Washington State has a town called George and a town called Martha. People go there to send postcards from George or Martha Washington.

I just caught up on this thread. There was a Cafe at George called "Martha's Inn" for many, many years. It was a truck stop with good home style meals and awesome pie, yes, cherry too.  ;)

RVMommaTo6 said:
I'll be in Washington Sept 14 and head to Oregon on the 29th. Some places I've made reservations and a couple don't take reservations so we'll just show up and if there's nothing available, head to the next one until there's an opening.
You are going to love the bridge crossing from WA to Astoria, OR. It's just over 4 miles long and climbs almost 200' high before dropping into Astoria. It's pretty cool.

Astoria is the filming location for a few movies - Goonies and Kindergarten Cop come to mind.

For me the Northern part of the Oregon Coast is nice; but the central and southern part are stunning.  We tend to camp at the latter during the summer months.

I wish you a great trip!

Thanks everyone!
The plan is to come into WA at Spokane, spend a few days at North Cascades NP, Seattle, Mt. Rainier, circle through a few Olympic NP, and then head out again towards Portland.

You might want to take a side trip from Portland to the Bonneville Lock and Dam, about 20 miles east along I-84.  Visiting the dam is free and there are tours through the power plant and fish ladders.  You can also go inside and watch the fish going up the ladder through underwater windows.  Kids will like it. There is also a fish hatchery where they keep 8' long adult sturgeon for breeding. 

As you go in the main entrance on the south side of the Columbia River, you will turn right to the dam and visitor center or left to the fish hatchery.  You can easily take your motorhome to both. Can't beat the price, and either side is good place for a picnic. 

https://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/bonneville/

Cool! We'll definitely do that!
The kids are excited to see Portland, they were all born there. My oldest still remembers some things there.

Do yourself a huge favor.  Avoid Seattle like the plague.  Which you might pick up if you visit down town.  And NO Im not kidding.  Same for Portland. If your coming into WA at Spokane area, move north and take hwy2 west.  If you want to get to the Olympics you have little choice.  Ferry $$$ or drive thru Seattle to Olympia and head west.  101 down the WA coast a lot of it is inland with little to no ocean views.

While in Portland area, consider Multnomah Falls if going to the dam, and OMSI and the submarine tour in Portland itself.

RVMommaTo6 said:
Not until Sept 14 :/

Be prepared for rain.
From Olympia down I5 to the juction of I205 should take about 90 minutes.  Avoid PDX during rush hour

RVMommaTo6 said:
Thanks everyone!
The plan is to come into WA at Spokane, spend a few days at North Cascades NP, Seattle, Mt. Rainier, circle through a few Olympic NP, and then head out again towards Portland.

Hello Amanda, we've just spent several weeks in the area you plan to travel. The Pacific Northwest is amazing and a short two to three week trip left us wanting more.  Please feel free to message me if you want any input. 

Back
Top Bottom