newbie looking for answers on trailer brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2004CSOTP

Hi all,

I just bought a 2006 Crossroads Bel Air Bunk House. The term "fixer upper" describes it well. This is my first RV, but I'm at least an intermediate to advanced do-it-yourselfer so I'm sure I can figure it out. I get the impression that someone was in process of making repairs and gave up or was interrupted at some point.

The trailer brakes don't work. I looked at them today and although I don't really know what I'm looking at, it looks like a mess. The front axle has some new parts on it. The studs and lug nuts look new. The back looks untouched. Both axles have wires going to them, but the wires going to the left side front axle were cut and I see multiple connectors on the wires leading to the brakes on the drivers side. The front axle does not have the same brake assembly that the rear has.

I'm sure all of my questions could be answered by searching this forum. I'm wondering if there is any particular thread, FAQ section or anything else that could offer much needed information on getting my brakes in order. Thanks all.

Brake wiring is really quite simple.  Truck TBC to each brake in parallel, through brake magnet to ground.  Note the wire gauge can affect braking if the wire is too small and can not carry sufficient current to fully activate the brakes.  While different brakes on the two axles is not a major problem, they must match on each axle.  With that said, I would buy new back plates and complete assemblies all around.  They are not really expensive.

If in doubt about the brakes, I'd replace the complete brake assembly on each wheel and re-wire as well. It's pretty simple and usually no more expensive than trying to replace only the bad parts. An entire brake assembly runs $40-$60 per wheel and is a simple bolt-on change.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/etrailer/AKEBRK-35R.html

Wiring is simply too, just basic 12v stuff. You can by a wiring harness, but it's just as easy to DIY with a spool of #12 or #10 wire (depending on brake amp load) plus a new trailer plug and breakaway switch. All easily available and inexpensive. May as well re-do the tail & brake light wiring while you are at it. It's easier than fiddling with corroded and broken connections.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
That way, when you are done there should be no further worries about brakes or lights.

Hello all,

I finally had a chance to take a closer look at the brakes this weekend. It turns out that there were no brakes on the front axle. Somebody installed plain hubs with no brake assemblies although there were wires in the front axle for brakes. I installed complete new assemblies on the front, adjusted them, made repairs to the wires and tested them by pulling out the break away switch. The brakes work at all 4 wheels when I pull out the brake away pin. But, when I hook up the electrical cable to the van, the brakes don't work.

The brake controller is a Draw Tight. I called tech support because all I get on the display is a dot and no numbers and when I hook up a tester to the socket on the back of the van, the light for the trailer brakes does not come on. They said that is normal because the brake controller is looking for the magnets on the drum and won't do anything unless they are hooked up.

I'm going to check the electrical cable next. I noticed the insulator is cut suggesting it got dinged at some point. I also noticed the junction box where the cable is connected to the trailer electrical system looks like a metal junction box you would see in your house and the wires are connected with those twist on caps I see in my house. Is that normal or did somebody do a serious rig job?

2004CSOTP said:
I also noticed the junction box where the cable is connected to the trailer electrical system looks like a metal junction box you would see in your house and the wires are connected with those twist on caps I see in my house. Is that normal or did somebody do a serious rig job?

Pretty standard, these things are built like junk.  Go thru the mess from plug to the wires going inside and do the best you can to make sure you have connection.  Some replace the metal junction box with a weather proof plastic one.

Hello all, I thought I'd give a quick update. The trailer brakes are now working. I goofed when I installed the brake control in the van. Fixed that and all is well. Getting ready for the first voyage in October.

Have a close look at the tires for the date code - if they're more than about 5 years old replace them no matter what the tread looks like. And it's a good bet the tires are running near their max load rating, so absent more information I'd suggest inflating to the pressure shown on the sidewall

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom