Sway control questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stvaughn

I understand the issues associated with WD type hitches but am undecided about away control. What are you using? What do you like or not like?

This is what we have on our TT and I wouldn't leave home without it

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-32217-Center-Line-Spring/dp/B00W919F4K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1GNNUKMY2AE95&keywords=husky+weight+distribution+hitches+with+sway+control&qid=1561319523&s=gateway&sprefix=huskey+weight%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-3

I also have a lighter version for our cargo trailer.

Very happy with both of them

There are two basic types of sway control:
1. An auxiliary friction device that can be tightened to inhibit sideways movement
2. A friction system integral with the spring bars that provide the weight distribution.

Gizmo's is the 2nd type and that type is preferred. It requires no friction adjustment and is always working for you.  The #1 type (link below) requires some educated guesswork to adjust the friction to provide enough anti-sway resistance to be useful, yet not so much it binds during turns.

https://www.campingworld.com/curt-manufacturing-curt-17200-sway-control-kit-91408.html

It is my opinion that few RV owners manage to get the #1 type properly adjusted, so it ends up being a "feel good" thing rather than an actual assist. That type is also more susceptible to wear and dirt on the friction plate.

Gizmo100 said:
This is what we have on our TT and I wouldn't leave home without it

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-32217-Center-Line-Spring/dp/B00W919F4K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1GNNUKMY2AE95&keywords=husky+weight+distribution+hitches+with+sway+control&qid=1561319523&s=gateway&sprefix=huskey+weight%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-3

I also have a lighter version for our cargo trailer.

Very happy with both of them

We also have this.  It is noisy when making turns due to the friction that creates the sway control but I do not mind - seems like this would be unavoidable if it is to work the way it is designed.  It seems well built, sturdy...husky!

Husky's Center Line is just one of several brand/models that have built-in sway control. Some other well-known brands are Equal-I-Zer, Fastway E2, and Reese's Strait Line model.  The top-of-the-line Hensley Arrow and ProPride hitch systems also include their own sway control.

We use a Hensley Arrow hitch with 1000 lb weight distribution bars on our 32' Transcend Travel trailer.  This hitch is expensive, but it totally eliminates sway and it is as quiet as a church mouse.

I have an older style friction-based sway control unit (similar to what Gary posted above) on my Curt WDH setup. Sometimes this design is criticized as being inferior to the all-in-one units (and I can understand way) but it definitely works... on our last trip, I forgot to tighten down the device prior to leaving the campground. I noticed within minutes, as soon as I was on the interstate with traffic whizzing by.

It's a good option if you already have a WDH setup that is designed for that kind of add-on... that was my situation. Otherwise, if starting from scratch, I'd probably buy one of the integrated units.

I also used those friction type on my trailers. ON one of 'em without it towing was downright scary With it. Well you know what a "unipod" trailer is (hooks to the Tow vehicle with two hitches and has but a single wheel that pivots)  Going forward with the friction bar was kind of like that (Backing up was still a trailer though).

almost every new truck comes with trailer sway control

Trailer sway control | Vehicle Features Video | Official Ford Owner Site

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle.../load.../trailer-sway-control.html

Trailer Sway Control Standard on all Chevrolet Silverados - GM Media

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/.../1120_trailer_sway.html

and the list goes on used with any aftermarket system they all work fine

Be aware that the "sway control" on newer trucks is a different animal than sway control trailer hitches.  The truck sway control is an electronic device that detects sway (hopefully before its gets severe) and attempts to stop it by applying the truck and trailer brakes in a suitable manner.  It works in conjunction with the trucks traction control and built-in brake controllers.    The trailer mechanical devices are motion dampers that try to prevent sway from starting and minimizing the effect if it does.  A simplistic explanation would be that the truck system responds to sway and corrects it whereas the trailer system prevents sway.  I don't think that's quite accurate, but simplistic answers seldom are.

None of the above is intended to say one or the other is better. In fact, I would want both a tow vehicle anti-sway and a WD hitch with built-in sway control. [I'm not a fan of the friction-type add-ons to hitches.]

Here is an excerpt from a Chevy blurb on their anti-sway system:
StabiliTrak is required in order for the trailer sway controller to work.
In combination with StabiliTrak and the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, the Chevy Trailer Sway Control senses trailer sway, automatically applying the vehicle and trailer brakes. This feature also reduces engine power, if necessary, to further restore vehicle and trailer stability. The trailer sway control employs an angled sensor inside the steering wheel assembly to measure the driver's rotational movement around a vehicle's axis (yaw), which determines vehicle direction.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Be aware that the "sway control" on newer trucks is a different animal than sway control trailer hitches.  The truck sway control is an electronic device that detects sway (hopefully before its gets severe) and attempts to stop it by applying the truck and trailer brakes in a suitable manner.  It works in conjunction with the trucks traction control and built-in brake controllers.    The trailer mechanical devices are motion dampers that try to prevent sway from starting and minimizing the effect if it does.  A simplistic explanation would be that the truck system responds to sway and corrects it whereas the trailer system prevents sway.  I don't think that's quite accurate, but simplistic answers seldom are.

None of the above is intended to say one or the other is better. In fact, I would want both a tow vehicle anti-sway and a WD hitch with built-in sway control. [I'm not a fan of the friction-type add-ons to hitches.]

Here is an excerpt from a Chevy blurb on their anti-sway system:

Agreed 100% which is why i said used with any aftermarket system but poor choice of words on my part i should have said a newer vehicle with trailer control used in conjunction with any aftermarket trailer sway will work really well. most aftermarket trailer sway systems are similar in principle and all will works well with the truck system . Its a symbyotic thing lol

Back
Top Bottom