Furnace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barry J

We had taken out our sleeper couch, which is where the furnace is situated.
Now I want to ?box-in? the furnace.
Is there any ventilation I need or can I just box it in.
I plan on using screws so that I can get to it if needed.
Just an FYI, my camper does not move from it?s sight at the campground
Thanks
Barry

You wont need ventilation for the combustion chamber because it gets it from outside but you will need a cold air return. Probably some type of grill on a couple of the sides will work. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowe's.
Can you give us a picture of what is there right now?

There will be residual heat around the unit. This requires air gaps and space for an enclosure. Best way to determine how the unit should be mounted is by the manufactures installation instructions.

I have an Atwood Hydro Flame it is in a 2003 Four Winds 29F. Dutchman.
It has floor vents.
I will try to post pic, but it keeps telling me picture is too big.
Barry

Attachments

• 3013C67B-AF16-4E99-B8F1-7BF277E90729.jpeg
    3013C67B-AF16-4E99-B8F1-7BF277E90729.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 13
If the furnace is going to run, where are the outlet ducts and how does the room air return (see Rene's reply)?  The furnace requires constant air flow from the intake, across the heat exchanger, and out through the outlet ducts. If there isn't enough, the plenum overheats and the Hi-Limit switch trips.

Looking closely at your picture, I'm thinking the slanted side in front is probably your heat duct. It probably goes through the floor and connects to some duct work under the floor leading to the floor grates. The top rectangle hole near the back may be your cold air return. You may be able to look down in the hole and you may see the squirrel cage fan. If it is the return, when you build the box with the necessary clearances, you'll need grates at least that size. I would go bigger just because.

By the way, that picture came out perfectly. Good job. 

So I think I will build a frame around the furnace, and for the top I will put lattice, for air movement, and then above the lattice, I will leave 6 inch space and mount a board above lattice. That way I will have air availability, that way I can put stuff on the top board.
See what we are doing is ...on the left of the furnace, will be a floor cabinet which is 24 inches wide, which will come to that copper tubing in the picture. And we have a 48 inch butcher block top that will be mounted on the cabinet and extend to the wall above the furnace. So, that will give us a lot more counter space. So, that is why I wanted to cover the furnace. My plan was to have a rubbish bin under the counter top, above the furnace, which will slide out, with a mounted rack to hold the rubbish bin.... make sense?

Back
Top Bottom