Mamoth-June Lake Loop area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larch

Hi I?m Mike and I?m retiring at the end of June and like to start taking extended rv trips. I have a 40 foot Winnebago Itasca and was looking for some guidance on nice rv parks that can accommodate the size of rv. Our first planned trip is to the Sierras going to June lake loop, mammoth, Tahoe and into Oregon with trout fishing a must both lake and stream. Looking to hit the road in September. I?d appreciate any recommendations.  Thanks Mike

Hi, and welcome. 
My wife and I are managing the Forest Service campgrounds in Bishop Creek Canyon, about an hour south of Mammoth, so probably too far south for you. 
If you don't mind dry camping, Crowley Lake campground is closer to Mammoth, and has space for your rig.  If you want something closer to town, try Oh Ridge Campground near June Lake.

We like Browns Owens River CG right on the Owens River; A few miles south of the Mammoth airport you'll see a small green church on your left (as you head south). Turn at the church and approx 7 miles along that road you'll cross the river, and Brown's will be on the right shortly afterwards. Large CG alongside the river, with lots of places to fish, including several stretches of the Owens and Crowley Lake. Not far to drive north to June Lake Loop.

[quote author=darsben]You might want to ask your question in the proper forum for a better response[/quote]

Best not to encourage double posting on different message boards. Forum staff can/will move a topic as necessary.

Tom said:
We like Browns Owens River CG right on the Owens River; A few miles south of the Mammoth airport you'll see a small green church on your left (as you head south). Turn at the church and approx 7 miles along that road you'll cross the river, and Brown's will be on the right shortly afterwards. Large CG alongside the river, with lots of places to fish, including several stretches of the Owens and Crowley Lake. Not far to drive north to June Lake Loop.

Seems like Brown's owns half the commercial campgrounds in the area.  We stayed at Brown's Town when we got into town early in the season(still 2' of snow in our site up on the mountain).  We've cruised around and decided that if we get in early next year, we'll be staying at Keogh's Hot Springs(another Brown's campground).  The area manager for the area north of us stays at Millpond before his campgrounds melt off.

Videos of fishing in the area posted by Sierra Drifters Guide Service:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=owens+river+fishing

Congratulations on your retirement!
We travel to the Mammoth area a lot and my hubby is a Flyfisher.  You don?t have many choices in Mammoth with a 40 footer.  Mammoth RV Park just as you enter town and a few spots at the New Shady Rest USFS (but tight).  At MRV getting a FH in the trees in September mid week is a maybe, if you can?t get a spot the paved W/E are Ok if it?s not crowded.  Also just south of Mammoth about 10 miles off the 395 check out McGee creek campground, nice spots. Also  a BLM off Crowley Lake Rd. 
Browns off Benton Crossing it?s approximately 5 miles in at Benton Crossing but nothing much but fishing out there and dry camping.
June Lake - Oh Ridge is nice also a couple commercial parks

Enjoy your travels

Back
Top Bottom