Kill Switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texan245

Just west of Texarkana, on the Texas side!
On my boat, I've got a kill switch on my cranking battery.  My boat can set up over the winter with zero draw on the cranking battery, I switch it on a it?ll turn over on the first key turn.  I can put my camper in it?s stall for a week or two and the batteries won?t have enough juice to raise the jack!

Has anyone installed a kill switch to keep any and all draw on the battery/batteries?  Aside from resetting the clocks, I can?t think of any pitfalls.  This all may be a moot point in the near future as I?m on top of the list for a pull through covered storage with electricity.  With my luck, as soon as I install the switch, the owner of the storage facility will call and I?ll have the upgraded storage.

People do it all the time. There are things in your RV are always drawing current. LP detector, memory for a stereo and more. Just install one of these on your battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Post-Battery-Master-Disconnect-Switch/dp/B001N729FS/ref=sr_1_10?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5NXgtK-H4wIViiSGCh2WfwkNEAAYASAAEgLRRfD_BwE&hvadid=174263553735&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9002499&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12124908362931984692&hvtargid=aud-646675774026%3Akwd-893279919&hydadcr=7472_9322242&keywords=battery+kill+switch&qid=1561559785&s=gateway&sr=8-10#customerReviews

Just remember that even with the switch in the off position, you will still experience a battery loss.. At rest a wet cell battery will loose 1 to 2 PERCENT of it's charge PER DAY.. (depending on condition and age)  That means that in 30 days or so it will be down to the 50% level and will need attention.>>>Dan

I installed one on my battery box with a plastic key (of sorts).  I like knowing I have full battery disconnect while sitting beside my garage.

SpencerPJ said:
I installed one on my battery box with a plastic key (of sorts).  I like knowing I have full battery disconnect while sitting beside my garage.

I did the same, then replaced it when it failed in just a few months, then replaced that one when it too failed.  After that I was done with the cheap junk that allows water to corrode the contacts and now have a Blue Sea switch that never failed.  My suggestion is to never buy a switch with a red key.

lynnmor said:
I did the same, then replaced it when it failed in just a few months, then replaced that one when it too failed.  After that I was done with the cheap junk that allows water to corrode the contacts and now have a Blue Sea switch that never failed.  My suggestion is to never buy a switch with a red key.
I had one fail as well, after one year, that I bought off Amazon.  I then bought (what seems) a much better quality one at O'Reilly Autoparts.  Time will tell.  I do like the key concept.  It would take an extra smart criminal to figure out how to use or bypass my electric tongue, should they be planning a heist of my Travel Trailer.  If this fails, I will go a better route.

I've been wondering about this as well.  Does throwing the master breaker in the panel inside the trailer do the same thing as battery-mounted switch?

In theory... except like my electric tongue, it is a separate connection on the battery, and I simply don't want to risk someone looking or playing, turning the tongue light on etc, and killing my battery.

Krow said:
I've been wondering about this as well.  Does throwing the master breaker in the panel inside the trailer do the same thing as battery-mounted switch?

What master breaker?  Do you have a battery switch inside?  I have seen inside battery switches that did not turn off everything.  Just do your own testing to be sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macamiguin
Back
Top Bottom