Painting Shower Walls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owlieux

I have recently purchased by first trailer and I'd like to give it's interior a bit of an update (as it's rather outdated). I'm pretty confident in my ability to sew new curtains/cushions and paint the cabinets, but I just don't know what to do about the wallpaper in the bathroom/shower.

The entire camper is covered in this ugly vinyl wallpaper, including the walls of the shower (there is no shower surround). Now I'd like to paint over the wallpaper, but I'm concerned that if I did that for the shower walls it would eventually ruin the paint and/or the wall itself. Is there something I can apply on top of the paint to protect it, or am I better off not painting it at all? I'm going to be living out of this trailer for a few months in the near future, so it would need to be able to hold up under frequent usage.

You can buy that really thin white vinyl sheeting at Home Depot or Lowes that would make a nice tub surround for your shower.  Easy to cut with utility knife, and glue up, caulk the seams. Paint, shower, will not last or end well. 

Go to Lowe's and or Home Depot,

Look at FRP (fiberglass reinforced Plastic)

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=frp&catalog=4294518226

It is used in milk houses where it is subject to very cold and hot temps. Cleans easily and waterproof.

Screw or use Exterior grade construction adhesive.

If the wall "paper" (it is surely vinyl) is firmly adhered, it can be painted. You want a paint rated for use in kitchen or bath, both high-humidity areas. Preferably one that has enough gloss to be easily washable, e.g. a satin or semi-gloss type.  Some people insist that only oil-base paints are suitable for baths, but modern latex paints are up to the task. I'd choose a mid or top grade paint brand, though. Some of the cheaper ones come up short conditions are less than ideal.

A primer coat doesn't hurt either, e.g. Kilz or Zinsser 123. It will have somewhat more cling and sealing properties than paint alone.

darsben said:
Go to Lowe's and or Home Depot,

Look at FRP (fiberglass reinforced Plastic)

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=frp&catalog=4294518226

It is used in milk houses where it is subject to very cold and hot temps. Cleans easily and waterproof.

Screw or use Exterior grade construction adhesive.
this is true

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom