Itasca tendacy to overheat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ste1148watt

Anyone tried adding an electric radiator fan to Itasca horizon with 400 isl. ?
Noticed a 2004 horizon with cat engine with one .

The most likely cause of overheating is ?stuff? blocking the air path.  ?Stuff? is anything from dirt and oil on the fins to critters setting up housekeeping between the charge air cooler and the radiator.

Also double check your coolant level.  Thermostats can go bad as well.  I just don't think the solution is adding an electric fan, maybe others with your same rig can offer their 2 cents.

This may not not be your problem but is commonly seen by mechanics. A common cause is buildup of sediment in the cooling system. If tap water is used and has high levels of calcium the small passageways become clogged. The radiator can be "boiled" by a radiator shop to clean it. Water pumps corrode over time if the coolant is not changed on a regular basis. The fins on the pump impeller dissolve first lessening the water flow which also adds to overheating.

I have gone thru this scenario twice in the last 3 years. Most recently as just a couple of weeks ago while climbing a 9500' pass going into Alamosa CO.
It is more likely to be a dirty radiator. You have to go under the bed, remove the engine covers and try to get your choice of degreaser applied to the fan side of the radiator and allowed to soak in.
Then with a high pressure hose clean off the debris from the radiator. The oil mist is like a glue that sticks to the radiator and holds road dust & stuff.

OR

Have Freightliner do it for you.
Which is what I had to do when in Rapid City a couple of years ago.

This is a regular item that should be considered as normal maintenance.

Good luck.

Corky

2005 model. The entire cooling system is new including radiator. I think the cooling system is to small. Keeping rpms around 2000 takes care of any overheating. It?s just a pain having to manually shift all the time . That?s why I was wondering about an auxiliary fan to help out . Engine is 400 ISL.

I have fought that issue ever since our Horizon was new (we also have the side radiator ISL), about the only thing you can check is the hydraulic fan speed. There are benchmarks for fan rpm at different engine rpms. Oh, also have the blowby or crankcase pressure checked, if it?s too high you might need a valve job done on the head.

Like you I am convinced the cooling pack on this chassis is undersized and Freightliner?s answer is keep the rpms at 2,000 and slow down if you are still getting too hot. In Colorado towing the Jeep on a trailer I?ve had to pull off the road to let the engine cool down. It is for sure a real PITA. On level terrain and climbing occasional grades it?s no problem.

I just had the engine overhauled so valves are good. I think previous owners might have cooked the rings . Shop said the liners had indications of overheating. I?m from the old school and never let it get above 210 degrees. Could b worse, dealing with DEF issues

I was chatting with a owner-operator truck driver at a Freightliner dealer about the emissions stuff/engine design that's now on engines. He won't buy a tractor newer than about a 2005 model year. Tier 4 emissions now on heavy equipment is causing major headaches with increased maintenance requirements and a lack of reliability. Diesels run much hotter now by design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom