Kayaks on PUP Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NS Canuck

I am in the process of making three 'stitch 'n glue' kayaks.  These are beautiful boats (and light).  All three will be about 60 lbs. total.  Anyone out there have any ideas about how to secure these to the roof of the PUP without wrecking anything?  I don't want to buy an elaborate (and expensive) carrier.  I'd prefer ideas on how to build something.  My initial thought is to place a couple of boards with wedges to seat the boats in across the front and rear of the pup and strap them into place using the frame somehow.  Then secure the kayaks to these boards.  Somebody out there must have built something like this for carrying kayaks or canoes. 

That sounds like it'd work pretty well, but you may also want to cover the wedges with closed cell foam to protect your handi-work. My tent trailer came with a "canoe rack" but it's just two lengths of square tube steel. Not sure I'd trust our tandem to it without some sort of modification like you're talking about.

My husband built PVC and covered it with round foam, and tie strapped ours but our kayaks were heavy and left to indentions in the roof, no damage but husband didn't like it so we put them on our TV now.

Your mounting method sounds good.  I would use some cardboard templates to match the V's on the kayaks.  I think I would try 2 x 8 lumber for the base and fill the 'V' with foot long clear 1 X 2 lumber, attached w epoxy and screws.  TiteBond II water resistant yellow glue might be just as good if not better then epoxy (see latest issue of "Fine Woodworking" for their lab. test to failure results).  I would then cover the 1 X 2  with carpeting.  Then attach the kayak retaining straps to the 2 X 8's.  I use nylon web cinch straps that has those steel ratchet assemblies (they come in 2 or 4 packs for holding down cargo).  I reworked some so that I could bolt them with lock nuts to my roof rack to hold my canoe in place.  Very secure and easy tighten and loosen.  The ones I got came w 1" webbing.  After a few years of use and sun rot I replaced the webbing w heavier 1" webbing from our local hardware store. 

Have fun!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom