No 12v at 7pin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jey

Just bought a tester for the 7 pin on my truck. Everything is working except the 12v.

Would this be a fuse normally or something else?

What truck?  GM vehicles have a 30A fuse in the under hood fuse block that needs to be installed.  I suspect Ford and Ram have a similar situation

donn said:
What truck?  GM vehicles have a 30A fuse in the under hood fuse block that needs to be installed.  I suspect Ford and Ram have a similar situation

thats correct on a Ford the truck must be running to have power to the 7 pin - not sure on the newer Rams

Without more info it is hard to tell. 
Make/model of truck?
Who wired the connector on the back of truck? Factory or paid installer?
What was the truck wired to pull?  Some trucks are wired so that the center pin is for the reverse lights, and others for 12v power. 

I did come up with a fun way to solve a problem i used to have related to this and due to the new truck.  On my old truck (2005 Dodge) I had a small (45W) solar panel I would hook to the batteries when in storage for more than a few weeks.  Had to do this after replacing the batteries 3 times on the Costco warranty - they'd fail over the winter when I used the truck much less.

BUT - my truck is parked in in the driveway in front of the camper.  And on the new truck my 12V always line is live all the time.    I now leave the truck connected to the umbilical cord from the camper whenever I'm in storage.  Keeps the truck charged from the camper....both via my solar on the camper and via the shore power.  Just figured this out and it works as I can look at voltage on the truck battery with a meter and compare to live with the voltage on my Victron BMS via bluetooth. 

It's the little things that make me giggle a little bit :)

-Chak

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It?s an F-150 lariat with factory wiring.

After opening up the fuse box and checking the owners manual I found the location of ?power to trailer 12v? I noticed a large relay was missing in this location and after talking with a guy at the auto part store he informed me that a lot of the newer F150s are sold with a relay in a baggy in the glove box that you put in if you?re actually going to be using the 7pin. But he couldn?t really explain why they don?t just install it?

Anyways mine was not in the glove box so he got me one for around $17 (plus had a coupon and a $5 reward so it was like $10) and after installing the relay the 7pin had 12v instantly.

Seems silly that it?s not just installed but it makes me wonder if it somehow drains the battery or something

I couldn't see it draining your battery, I could only guess it is a potential safety issue.

Back
Top Bottom