A Sad Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It really amazes me but when I tow the 5r I just get into a different frame of mind.  I will clip along at 65mph but rarely more. Stopping distances expand and my courtesy level towards others goes up.  I am more aware of the road, the traffic patterns and weather conditions.  I try to have my routes preplanned as best as possible so no sudden lane changes are necessary.  I guess it is called common sense!  Phil

I thought this article about trailer tires/speed was interesting...http://www.4x4review.com/feature/trailering.asp
If you scroll down to the tire section, it discusses speed ratings for trailer tires.

I have my own story i was on I-94 going about 55 (the legal limit) which turned out to still be too fast the traffic was starting to back up and a 4x4 fell off of a truck in front of me i didn't have enough time to react and i couldn't completely avoid it my tt took over and went into the ditch dragging my truck sideways down the shoulder. Both vehicles were a total loss but no one was hurt. I had a reese dual cam hitch but it wasn't enough to save it. so it isn't all about speed but also following distance

as far as speed/safety cameras go, i have the right to confront my accuser, who do you confront if its a robot giving you the ticket?
education is the answer you need to teach people that they don't get there faster by driving that fast requiring more fuel stops, or stops to explain to the officer why you were going that fast.

i yeld my soapbox to the next poster

Brian w.  Hall said:
I have a 36 foot monaco diesel. I often cruise at 80mph when the weather is clear and the wind is minimal. Is this terribly dangerous? I feel very comfortable and the monaco seems to like that speed very much. What are the stipulations to going 80mph in a MH? thanks.

Brian

your tires are rated for weight........they are NOT rated for that speed.  Go to your tires manufacturers web site.....they will tell you what the max speed is for the tire you are using.  Probably less than 70mph

Re Glen's comment on following distance

When I was in Driver's training I was told one car length for every 10 MPH IIRC.  This is a lot of math and I never do it., Plus I have to estimate distance.  Easier to estimate time.

Practice this with a clock that has a second hand. it is best if it's the kind that "Ticks" off the seconds

One thousand 1, One thousand 2, One thousand 3, One Thousand 4

If you get the cadency right every time you say a number, you will hear a TICK

Current teaching of the American Automobile Assn for CARS on clear dry pavement is TWO seconds, ibehind the car in front of you

The RV safety folks say THREE seconds plus an additional second for every 20 feet of rig (Makes is six seconds for my outfit)

I disagree with the RV safety folks but have no problem with 3 second seperation.

This allows for reaction time, and skid distance.  I know the common wisdim is "It takes longer to stop a big rig" but fact is once all wheels lock up, stopping distances are dependent on two, and only two, things  1: Pavement condition and 2: Speed (Squared no less) Pavement conditions are the same for you as the vehicle in front of you so speed squared is the deciding factor.

What does speed squared mean.. IF it takes you 22 feet to stop at 20 MPH then at 40 MPH it takes not 44 (2x) but 88 (2x2x) (Squared means multiply the speed by itself then by the distance factor) so you double the speed, the speed is quadrupled. 3 times the speed 9 times the skid)

When my wife or daughter are driving my biggest complaint is FOLLOWING TOO CLOSE BACK OFF,  When I look at other drivers on the road, cars and trucks often follow at 1 second or less (1/2 second) behind the car in front, semis are running at around 1/2 to one second too.  This is way too close  WAY WAY too close.

How to figure your time.. When the car in front of you goes under a shadow or past a sign or other "landmark" start counting, if you reach the landmark before 2 seconds for a car or 3 for a truck, you are too close

What happens when you follow too close (And why freeway cameras are so much fun, and a good investment)  This is a true story I WAS THERE IN PERSON (I am the dispatcher in this story)  We got a call, "Stove in the road, S/B I-75 north of Caniff (Detroit)  Well, I sent a trooper and grabbed the control box for the remotely controled cameras, called up Caniff and looked. Nothing, not even evidence of cars dodging.. So I called up Davison, same result (Davison is north of Caniff) so I called up McNichols (Six mile) and there it was, north of McNichols..  Why are cameras handy and a good investment: When the troopers I sent did not see it while going north, they would have flipped at McNichols and never seen it at all.

So I updated my troopers, called the county and we watched.. The camera was good enough I can tell you it was a GAS range, not an electric (We could see enough detail to tell the difference, burners and pigtail)  I suggested we pull back a bit and watch, Now I'll tell you why cameras are FUN (At least for dispatchers and camera operators)  We'd watch cars come down the 4 lane wide freeway  They came in 2's and 3's for the most part. Now, if there are 4 lanes and only 2 cars. I'm not following the idiot in front of me. I'm going to move over into another lane just in case.. But for some reason these folks were right one behind the other (I know that if you "Draft" the car in front of you, you get better gas millage)  Well, the lead car would change lanes at the last second, and the one(s)  behind him woudl .. Well... Change underware (So far nobody hit anything other than the brakes)

Finally a group of 3 cars and a pick up came down.. Like before car one changes lanes at the last second, Car 2, underware, I'm fairly sure car three kissed bumpers with car 2, the pick up however did not slow down, swerve or stop, he place kicked that stove a good quarter mile down the road and on to the right shoulder.. I called the troopers off (no longer needed) and phoned county to move the priority down to "Tomorrow" and update them on the new location (South of McNichols, Right Shoulder)

Proper following distance would have saved a lot of underware that day

OR Courese it's not a cure all... I recall an accident on the N/B I-75 in just about the same place.. We watched a pack of cars approaching from the south, a good half mile of clear road between the pick up in the lead and the car stopped in the lane....

Did he slow down (NO) change lanes (NO) stop (NO) slam into the stalled car at a full 70 mph (YES)

Speed too fast for condition (Condition being driver not paying any attention to the road)

Dave Stringham said:
your tires are rated for weight........they are NOT rated for that speed.  Go to your tires manufacturers web site.....they will tell you what the max speed is for the tire you are using.  Probably less than 70mph

Excellent point.  I doubt one can find RV tires or truck tires that are rated for 80MPH.  Much too fast to be safe.

John In Detroit said:
The RV safety folks say THREE seconds plus an additional second for every 20 feet of rig (Makes is six seconds for my outfit)

I disagree with the RV safety folks but have no problem with 3 second separation.

If you're going slower than everyone else, you don't have to worry about separation from the guy in front of you.  Our normal speed on the interstate is 65 miles an hour when we're towing our camper.  Might go just a tad faster at times if I come up on someone going less than that so I can get around him without slowing down the folks that are going faster.  Takes a little longer to get where we're going - but "what the hay," as they say in some parts of Montana - when we get there, we don't have the stress of keeping up with the traffic.

Of course, when you're getting off on the last exit after 7 weeks away from home and some idiot is trying to get on the interstate the WRONG way - it's nice to have decent brakes.

Dave Stringham said:

Dave

Nearly all RV tires nowadays are rated for 75mph. The tire companies do want you to have adequate inflation for that speed if you are so inclined.  Not sure about truck tires.

Mike Goad said:
Of course, when you're getting off on the last exit after 7 weeks away from home and some idiot is trying to get on the interstate the WRONG way - it's nice to have decent brakes.

Now that could get your attention if you are exiting at the same ramp.  Hope you had a great trip Mike.

:eek: It got my attention - but I certainly got his attention when I laid on the horn.  He and his passenger certainly looked shocked with several tons of truck and camper heading straight at them.  :eek:

Fortunately, I had slowed way down and he had just turned onto the ramp.  I don't think he was planning to get on the interstate.  He may have thought there was a frontage road there. 

There isn't.  ::)

Yeah, the trip was very good.  Too short, though.  I would like to have stayed gone a little longer.  But Karen and I compromised on when to come home.  We'll be heading out again sometime in the spring I think - not sure where we'll be going.

Mike Goad said:
Yeah, the trip was very good.  Too short, though.  I would like to have stayed gone a little longer.  But Karen and I compromised on when to come home.  We'll be heading out again sometime in the spring I think - not sure where we'll be going.

You are always welcome at Sam's Camp.  Maybe we could get out and do a little fishing next time.  Glad you made it home safely and had a good trip.

Back
Top Bottom