EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Battery Power Management, House Battery, Chassis Battery, etc  (Read 17697 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Battery Power Management, House Battery, Chassis Battery, etc
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2007, 02:11:45 PM »
Yep..... right there in plain sight is the "modify" button.

The story of my life Len - right in front of my nose all the time. Glad you found it.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2007, 06:16:18 PM »
I have removed all 12v fuses except for the circuit that has the radio on it.  I have watched  the voltage drop for about 64 hours so far.  For what ever reason the radio does appear to be consuming 1.0w to 1.5w per hour in the "off" mode.  Thinks thats high but that is what it is.

That wattage equates to about 0.1 amp (100 milliamp) and is in the range of what automotive radios use to keep the memory alive and to sense its electronic switches (i.e so you can turn it on again). It probably also has a digital clock it keeps alive.  They ought to be able to do with less power, but saving on batteries is not a big design issue in automotive electronics - they expect you to drive it every day or at worst 2-3 days.

I think your solution to move the "keep alive" wire back to the chassis battery is a good one.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2007, 08:07:45 PM »
FYI

I took the direct path and got into the wiring under the dash.  With my multimeter I measured the radio "off" current 95 milliamp and the battery voltage at the time was at 13.1 volts for a power drain of 1.24 watts.  Think I will just add a radio 'kill' switch for multi day boondocking.  Wish I had a similar reading off of the 'old' Delco radio I took out of there 5 years ago to compare to the Jensen radio.

The attached picture is of the modified dash with a 20A toggle switch added below and to the left of the radio.  If we use it, it will save us 30 watts per day of battery power while boondocking.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 08:24:06 PM by Len and Jo »
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis
We 'B' RVing   Berkley, Michigan
Van Development:   https://youtu.be/5Xqk_G6k95M
12 Years of Travels:  https://youtu.be/UMIf17CzdZo

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2007, 06:45:43 PM »
Follow-up............

External house battery drain is now not measureable (aka: battery voltage) to two decimal places over a 4 day period.  The radio was source of the battery drain.  Now when everthing is off it really IS OFF.    :)

Think I will start looking at LED lighting options since lights are are largest use.  I'm also going to add a timer in the bathroom for the Fantastic Fan so that it will shut off 1-2 hours after we go to sleep at night.
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2007, 06:53:21 PM »
Thanks for the followup.  Sounds like you have found the battery drains.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2007, 07:25:31 PM »
Why not use a temperature controller on the Fantastic fan rather than a timer?  Check the web site for a replacement controller.  Ours has a thermostat and it's 10 years old.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2007, 07:46:57 PM »
For boondocking with finite power I think a timer is best for us.  The thermostat does look like a nice feature though.

Thanks for the idea.
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 10:41:01 AM »
Not sure where you'll find a 12VDC timer readily. If you use a 120ac timer, you'll need the inverter to power it; cuts down on the savings. Yes, 12 volt timers are available, but most are manually operated and don't have a 24-hour clock for day-to-day use.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 04:15:42 PM »
No power needed.  The timer I am going to use is a mechanical device.  HD has a 1 hour max. and a 12 hour max. versions.  We have one in our home bathroom wired to the shower exhaust fan to remove mosture and not have to think about turning the fan off.  Have also used several in our church kitchen for exhaust fans, point of use water heaters, coffee makers and thermostats (prior to110v  programable thermostats being available).  Do not have to worry about people turning things off because eventually they will shut themselves off anyway. ;D

Well Ned have to thank you again ;) ;)

After looking at the Fantastic Fans available I am going to remove the one I have and install the one with a variable speed fan and re-install my old one behind the front seats (need to measure things a little first).  We have a VERY NOISY 12v fan mounted inside pn a side wall for hot days that I will pitch.  It's an 8" chrome wire cage thing that I got at Camping World and I have never liked it and as a result never really used it.

The two Fantastic Fans will really move the air on warm days and nights.  Being able to set a very low (AND I ASSUME QUITE) speed on the new one when we go to bed will really be nice.  Thanks again my $20 job just had job scope change and large budget increase. ;D  When done I think I will be very happy with the dual fans.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 04:18:42 PM by Len and Jo »
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 04:19:48 PM »
Ah, yes. I guess we did have gears and springs before we had electricity :)
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 05:35:02 PM »
Ah, yes. I guess we did have gears and springs before we had electricity :)

LOL Karl, don't pretend you're too young to remember  ;D
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 09:18:37 PM »
I have found a Fantistic Vent 6000r at Adohen Supply Co.  I got to their web site via www.fantasticvent.com.  They have the 6000r for $269 and that includes shipping. 

Did see it on E-bay for $251 but the seller only had a one star rating.

I do like the low amp draw.  0.2-1.9 amps

The Fantastic Vent company says the 6000r has been in production since summer of 2006.  Does anyone own this fan model and how do you like its performance and how quite is it??  Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:32:04 PM by Len and Jo »
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis

King

• ---
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 07:47:54 AM »
Please...
Watts have nothing to do with a battery's capacity.  Current times voltage equals watts.  What you are talking about is Watt-hours.
Art

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 08:29:13 AM »
When discussing RV DC systems, it's customary and easier to refer to Ampere-Hours (AH) as the systems are almost universally 12V.  Deep cycle batteries are rated in AH and not watt-hours and loads are usually rated in amperes, not watts.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2007, 12:14:47 PM »
Being able to set a very low (AND I ASSUME QUITE) speed on the new one when we go to bed will really be nice.

Karl, have you abandoned your project  to produce a variable speed control to convert Fantastic Vents that have the fixed 3 speed? The prototype you made for me is still working fine in our coach.  Len is looking for a low and variable speed for the same reasons that led me to ask you about the project to begin with. You might have another customer!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2007, 09:42:21 AM »
A very pleasent experience .... so far.

I ordered a 6600r from Adohen Supply Co. last night at midnight via the internet.  This morning at 10am they called me.  Wanted some more detailed information about my application.  When I told him I was replacing a 4000r with the new one he suggested that I should consider buying an upgrade kit and save some money ( I didn't want an upgrade because I am going to relocate the 4000r to the front of the van).  That was nice of him though to ask and try to save me money.  He then asked several more question (some about my 4000r) to make sure the new fan would install without any modifications.  The new 6600r fans manual open knob will protrude 5/8th of an inch father down and other such good details to know.

Very nice to talk to a person who clearly knew the product he was selling.

On a seperate note:  It would appear to me that the 6600r fan design could be using a PWM (pulse width modulated) speed control for the fans variable speed.  I think that would explain the reduced current draw.  The 4000r and others probably used resistors (power consumers) to control the fans 3 speeds.  Maybe to several of you others this is old hat.
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 10:56:33 AM »
Gary,
No, I have not abandoned the project. I've finalized the design and component selection, and just need to do the actual board layout and etching. The only thing I've been lacking is time, and plan to have a number of them ready for Quartzsite.

Len, That's exactly what I built for Gary - a PWM controller to replace the resistor/switch combination. Features 0-100% variable speed control AND is reversible to take air in; not just exhaust it. Adaptable to almost any vent fan except those with remote control.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:58:17 AM by Karl »

Hosted by Over The Network