Hwy 33 West Virginia/Ohio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmiller226

Hoping I'm putting this in the right forum. If not, I guess the mods will move it to where it belongs.

We're leaving next week for a trip from NC to Ohio. Spending the first night in Wytheville, VA and then on up to Mt. Vernon, Ohio the next day. Going from Wytheville to Mt. Vernon, my normal route and original plans were staying on US77 north to 36W, which goes on into Mt. Vernon. However, an alternate route shown is getting off of US77 onto Hwy 33 (between Charleston and Parkersburg, WV). Hwy 33 goes straight up to my destination.

Anyone traveled Hwy 33 in that area? From what I can tell, it appears to be 4 lane, divided. I just don't want to take a route I've never traveled and find myself on some slow narrow winding highway.

US 33 won't get you to MT Vernon, OH.  It goes to Columbus and then west.  To get to MT Vernon, you'll need to go north on OH 13 ( crosses US 33 just west of Athens, OH).  OH 13 is a nice road that meanders through the foothills of southeast Ohio.  Easily doable in an RV, but mostly 2 lane and goes through a lot small towns.  If you aren't in a hurry, it a scenic drive.

If you want to go the back way, I'd stay on I 77 to Parkersburg and take US 50 to Athens rather than US 33.  US 50 is 4 lane all the way to Athens.  Traveled both roads and prefer US 50.  There is also a nice rest area off US 50 just west of Parkersburg that makes a nice stop.  Only issue is its a left turn in and out when you're west bound.

If you're in a hurry, go your old route.

Hope the info helps,

Thanks Jim (or Lin),

Yes, I did notice that I would have to get off of 33 onto 13 and then head north to Mt. Vernon. I only started paying attention to that route because that was the route selected on the Good Sam trip planner. I'm probably going to stick with my original route of 77 to 36 and then straight on in. They've had a lot of flooding up that way recently and my wife (who's from Ohio and who's sister we're going to see) had heard that some of that route along 36 might be flooded. However, I talked to my brother in law last night and he said it's clear across.

Between the seemingly never ending rain ( for a while we kidded Ohio was going to become the next Great Lake) and the tor
nado damage in our area (Dayton) it hasn't been a great year for Ohio.  Your brother-in-law has a better view of the eastern part of the state, but on a recent back roads trip to Cleveland - went through Mt Vernon - all we saw was soggy fields and late planting.

It's Jim by the way.  Not knocking my DW's map reading skills, but she still turns the map so  she's traveling up the map.  Makes directions of turns obvious "don't you know."

Back
Top Bottom