dealerships???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rts64

OK before  I start this I want to clarify I AM NOT trying to stir the pot, but I myself am in the hvac business (also with the airlines) so I know what a customers word of mouth can do to you ,both ways, what I'm looking for is basically what are some great as well as TERRIBLE dealerships you have delt with and why, and maybe recommend me to someone or warn me on another, thanks guys/ ladies you have been absolutely a treasue trove of info so far and for that I want to thank you all for the great help,,,,I also live in georgia and if the deal was right I would go from maine to california if I had to, so all comments are welcome,,,,,,rick

Well to begin with we feel  the most honest RV dealer we have ever run into is Pete's RV in Burlington Vermont.  While we have run into other excellent dealers I have to rate Pete's RV as the most honest and honorable dealer we have come accross.

Rivers RV and salesman Jim Ballard in J'ville, Fl is as good as I'm aware of, treated me as I would want to be treated and it wasn't called for.  Harney RV is St Louis Was but he got so fed up with the RV Companies, he quit selling them.  You'll find a few and you'll find a few sales people that are or try to be honest but it's tough to find.  Very few sales people know what they are talking about and many service reps were mechanics that got forced into being a Rep. Dealers today could care less about pleasing the customer, and whenthey do it's only until they get your money and then the treatment is over.  Yes, you will find the exception to the rule, but in general that's the way it works.  When you find a good Mechanic or Service rep, they don't stay cause they feel they can make more money in business for themselves. JMO andwhat I've found thru travels  No for service alone,  St Louis RV and Port in Eureka, Mo is by far the best I've ever come across.  Many pro Race drivers have their units worked on there, both Nascar and drag Racers. Huge place, small shop and never in a rush. Only 2 or 3 workers and by far the best.  JMO

Do you have any particular brands in mind? A good dealer that doesn't have the product you want is perhaps not much help.

Unlike some others, I don't think the choice of dealer is all that important. Obviously you want to avoid shysters if you can, but even then a knowledgeable customer can rope them in and usually come out OK.  I shop for the brands I have pre-selected, price and willingness to accommodate whatever special needs I may have.  The initial delivery service may be important (unless you choose factory delivery, which available for some brands & models) but odds are your subsequent service needs will be somewhere on the road anyway.  And I do a lot of my own work, both routine interior/exterior repairs (just like at home) and some mechanical work too. When I need mechanical work done, I certainly do not go to an RV dealer if I can help it - an engine/chassis shop is always a better choice. And a first class RV body shop for body work (heaven forbid).

Some Southeast dealers:
I've heard several very good reports about Tom Johnson RV in North Carolina and they have numerous brands.
Lazy Days in Seffner (Tampa) Florida is superb on sales & price, pretty good on delivery (especially high end models) but kind of a mixed bag on service (they are very accommodating but often promise more than they seem able to deliver).

I was really looking at mid to late 90's models such as american eagle ,monoco,holiday,and other comparible models,the service side may be an issue, but I plan to do most if not all the work myself ,short of drive train types of issues, but I thought most dealers would have all kind of models that had been traded in, and not be so model specific ,am I wrong in that thought , just looking for references of some good dealers out there in case I go this route, I know there has got to be a few, I know some tend to wash there hands of you after the deal, but I have seen with motorcycle dealers some ignore you after a sale but the one I delt with if the salesman seen you come in ,you would see him come across the store just to say hi and shake your hand, he really might not have giving a crap about you in reality but the fact he did that would make you think otherwise and from that alone he definitly won my future business , I wish there were more like him

Another thing that may assist us in aiding you is, What part of the country are you in and how far do you want to travel?  What's you dollar figure?  Do you want W/D and In Motion Dish?  Lots of Variables. Don't forget Tiffin in your sights.

If you are interested in an American Coach then Lazy Days in Florida is a good place to go.  The American Coach factory service is outstanding.

I'm in GA, will travel for a deal ,$$ range 40-65k, W/D yes if I can, satelite not important, tiffin would also be an excellent choice, slide issue is still in debate but leaning toward not,would like DP with deisel gen.....I'm not being to picky am I, ha,ha

Ron do you have a number for lazy day? and a name Salesman you recommend  ?

rts64 said:
Ron do you have a number for lazy day? and a name Salesman you recommend  ?

Sure do.  813-246-4333  E-Mail kware at lazydays.com    Ken Ware always teated us well.  or  1-800-626-7800 and ask for Ken Ware.

Rts  the only reason I asked was Rivers RV in Jville couple weeks  ago got in the Tiffin 2004 that I was interested in and decided I wouldn't use it enough to warrant spend that kind of money.  They have it now, but its a bit more than that.  It's listed on the beb though if you want to look at it.  And never worry about the asking price.  Jim Ballard is the salesman and if you call him  First thing out of the box tell him Shayne said call  He then knows to get down to business and give the best deal.  They are locate just off I-10  far east edge of J'ville.

Here's a recommendation for Tom Johnson Camping Center in Concord, NC (near Charlotte -- next to the Charlotte Motor Speedway Parking Lot) and salesman Todd Stafford.  You can call 866-607-8860 and ask for Todd or call him direct at 704-773-2334.

We recently purchased a new MH from Todd and the entire experience was excellent.  The follow up service has likewise been outstanding.  The service department even returned my call and solved a problem for me while I was in a campground on the west side of the Rocky Mountain National Park on a SATURDAY morning.

While we purchased a new MH (my navigator fell in love with a new floor plan that just couldn't be found in a used unit), I did notice that the dealership was doing a large business in used MH's, too, and had a large inventory.

Good Luck.

Don Nesbitt
Cary, NC

Jimmy Ballard at Rivers RV is 800-253-1224 or 904-783-0313  Good luck  OOPs  just tried to talk to Jimmy and he is no longer with the company.  That's a shocker.  No wonder he didn't answer my E Mail 2 weeks ago.

I can highly recommend Brent Harmon at Lazy Days. 813-246-4999 x4425  And say Hi from Gary Brinck while you are at it.

As for dealers handling all brands of used models, the answer is your odds of finding a specific make are better at some than others. Many people trade up in the same brand, so trade where the new ones are sold. And dealers who handle the less expensive brands generally do not get high end models as trade-ins either.

rts64  PPL in Texas is showing a 38' 2000 Holiday Rambler diesel  for less than 70K  48K miles.

De Martini RV in Northern Califiornia is one of the most respected dealers in the country. I have not purchased from them myself but have talked to others who have and have talked to them at our local RV show. They carry the Monaco family of coach's.

http://www.reposales.com/index.htm

Steve

I know several folks who bought more than one coach from De Martini. Having listening to their stories and having met Tim De Martini, I understand why they are repeat customers. I sure wish we'd bought our coach from him and, if we had, I'm sure we wouldn't have had the terrible experiences we had with another dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom