What to buy before I pickup my new travel trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burnrate

It's finally happened!  ;D We got an RV!

We got a new travel trailer; a 2019 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 273QBXL for a great deal.

Now what do we need (aside from the hitch)?

The dealer said we will need to buy sewer lines and power hookups and a water pressure regulator.

What else would we need that is required?  What else would you recommend?  I've seen a lot of people with tongue weights and little stands for the waste water lines, things like that.

What I have so far:
  • Sewer hose and supports
  • Levelers / Wheel chocks
  • Water pessure regulator
  • Drinking water house
  • Drinking water filter
  • Surge protector
  • Bug screen for vents

Before pickup, how would I find out the specifications for the RV (things like connection sizes and types for water, power, etc.)?  I don't really know what I don't know to ask!

Edit 1: Added some things to the list

Congratulations on your new RV.  You might start by going to the Library button (above left) and look for the section called Checklists.  There are some checklists for pre-delivery and delivery.  We generally advise to purchase only the most important items, such as a drinking water hose, and leave other less-important things until after delivery.  That avoids purchasing items you may never use.  Start making lists of questions to ask during delivery and make sure the seller shows you how everything works (and it's implied IF it works!).  There's definitely a learning curve involved in figuring out how everything works so it helps to take notes or video when they show you things like filling the water tank, using city water, or emptying waste tanks.

I'm sure others will tell you what they have found most valuable to carry such as basic tools.  Meanwhile, I hope you make many happy memories in your new trailer.

ArdraF

CONGRATULATIONS  :))

Like ArdraF said, look in the library, great lists.
Also, it truly depends on how you plan to use it...  Weekend State Park trips, or 2 month adventures out West?  But I will say, most of us carry more accessories than we need. 

Here is a link to the Library checklists http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=64&Itemid=132

You mentioned hitch.  That is a BIGGY to consider and purchase one that you will be happy with.  What will you be pulling this new Travel Trailer with?

Take a pad of paper and a pen along on your first several trips, so you can write down all the things you need and realized you don't have in the rig. ;) There will be substantial difference in the "Blue" vs. "Pink" lists too (i.e. what men find important to pack vs. what women find important to pack) so combine forces when possible and de-clutter regularly. Some things you initially think are crucial may not be used much, and there's no point in hauling extra/unnecessary weight around!

As mentioned, a lot of what you take along will depend on the size of your rig (and available storage space) and how you plan to use it. Here's an ongoing related thread you might want to check out: How Much Stuff Is Too Much Stuff?

I suggest not buying anything until you get it, then find a State park or other similar campground located close to a 24 hour Wal-Mart Supercenter and spend the weekend, take the basic essentials for nite one, sheets, pillows, towels, soap, paper plates.  Plan to go to stock up 3 or 4 times over the weekend, and by the time you are done you will have 80% of the stuff you need for the RV.  Getting through nite 1 may be the hardest when you realize you have canned goods, but no can opener, and a knife but no cutting board,...

Ike

p.s. most Wal-Marts have an entire aisle of camping and RV supplies located next to the automotive section, containing a mix of essential supplies, and stuff you find you never use.

ArdraF said:
...  You might start by going to the Library button (above left) and look for the section called Checklists.  ...

Thank you!  Totally missed the library.  :-[

SpencerPJ said:
You mentioned hitch.  That is a BIGGY to consider and purchase one that you will be happy with.  What will you be pulling this new Travel Trailer with?
Thank you :).  We have a 2013 F150 with towing capacity of 8500.  With the fully loaded trailer at about 7700 there is room for people in the truck and some safety margin.

I was looking at an e2, round bar, 10k, with hitch ball.  I saw some in the low 400's.  It has fancy sway control.  I wouldn't mind paying more for something that would provide even a bit more safety (I'm not very knowledgeable on how it all works, just what I've heard people say works well).

scottydl said:
... Here's an ongoing related thread you might want to check out: How Much Stuff Is Too Much Stuff?
Thank you :)

Isaac-1 said:
I suggest not buying anything until you get it, then find a State park or other similar campground located close to a 24 hour Wal-Mart Supercenter and spend the weekend, ...

Awesome idea! :)

Congrats on the new toy...

My suggestion is to spend a couple a days living in the camper while at home. that way you can run in the house for things that are needed.

Most RV dealers will provide you with what they call a starter kit which includes a water hose, sewer hose, bubble level, a real cheap water pressure regulator which should be thrown away, and maybe some chemicals for the black tank which most of us don't use. You should ask them if they intend on providing a kit.

And since Wal-mart was mentioned, most of what you need can be purchased there... even RV specific items like power cords extensions (3-prong 30 amp, or 4-prong 50 amp depending on your rig) and hoses of various lengths for water and sewer. Most stores have a small RV section within the Automotive department. Anything purchased from the dealer will likely cost you 3x more.

Get a trailer hitch lock at Walmart.

Had a neighbor who bought a new RV trailer and parked it in front of his house. Disappeared three days later.

He hadn't put a lock on the ball hitch.

Burnrate said:
Thank you :).  We have a 2013 F150 with towing capacity of 8500.  With the fully loaded trailer at about 7700 there is room for people in the truck and some safety margin.

There is a little yellow sticker in your truck drivers door, says Carry Capacity (ie payload).  What is that number?  VERY important in this process.  I only ask, and highly suggest you look and let us help, because you are definitely at the very high end of what most of us would pull with a 1/2 ton.

SpencerPJ said:
There is a little yellow sticker in your truck drivers door, says Carry Capacity (ie payload).  What is that number?  VERY important in this process.  I only ask, and highly suggest you look and let us help, because you are definitely at the very high end of what most of us would pull with a 1/2 ton.

(all numbers in lbs)

The trailer has a GVWR of 7,680 with a hitch weight of 702 (carrying capacity of 1,724).

The GVWR of the truck is 7,100 and the payload capacity is 1,366.  The conventional towing maximum loaded trailer weight is 8500 with a GCWR of 14,000.

My lists of stuff has given me a total of 500 lbs for gear and people on the truck (including a hitch).  We also decided to place a hard limit of 1000 lbs of payload in the trailer when towing.

My calculations said I should be safe towing 7,766 (GCWRtruck - GVWRtruck + Payload Capacitytruck - Payloadtruck) so with the above restrictions my novice assessment says that there is a good margin for safety (7,000 used of 7,766 for towing and 1,202 used of 1,366 for payload).

All that being said,  I would love, love, love to hear any thoughts or criticisms you have. :)

No criticisms  :)

You are fully aware of the numbers.  I am a little shy of hauling that close to the numbers personally, I drive a YukonXl with more payload and less trailer.  I do like having some pedal left for the hills.  Keep it safe, have it weighed after you purchase to make sure the numbers are within your trucks abilities.

JudyJB said:
Based on another post--INSURANCE!!

I, had completely forgot this!  :-[ :-[ :-[ Luckily it won't break the bank for a trailer :).

On another note, the place I'm buying from does a 3 hour pickup with all hookups to test and teach after they complete there own full day PDI.  That does give me a warm fuzzy.  I'm still going to be looking at all the things but it's nice to know they are already on the same page.

Burnrate said:
I, had completely forgot this!  :-[ :-[ :-[ Luckily it won't break the bank for a trailer :).

On another note, the place I'm buying from does a 3 hour pickup with all hookups to test and teach after they complete there own full day PDI.  That does give me a warm fuzzy.  I'm still going to be looking at all the things but it's nice to know they are already on the same page.

Take someone along to video this session.  You'll thank yourself later on.

Some of what you will need and what you won't need depends on the type of camping you will do.  We almost exclusively camp with no hookups.  So we have a solar panel and generators for shady days.  You may not need extra power if you are plugged in all the time.  The best suggestion has already been made - do a test run and write down what you feel you need/want.

Does your truck a built in trailer brakes? If so, your covered. After hooking up, test the breaks as your leaving. Adjust so they grab real good. If your truck doesn?t have one built in, don?t cheap out and buy the cheapest out there. As mentioned above, Wally World will have most items allot cheaper. Camp close to home as mentioned above so you don?t have far to drive to get stuff your forgot. After a few times out, go further. After a few trips out, unless you have power jacks, you will get tired of hand cranking the level jacks and tongue jack. Get a cordless drill with proper size socket. Electric tongue jack isn?t needed at first but after the 1st year, you will want one. Get 5 2x6 boards about a foot long. Place them under each jack and tongue jack. When it rains and your on grass or dirt, they sink in. I observed and asked questions at rev sites of other folks set ups. Allot of friendly folks in camp sites and they are glad to share information. I learned about the water filter 2nd trip out when I started. Get them at Walmart. Get the one that has the flex extension, then refills after that. Rubber gloves!!! When messing with the dump hoses, little accidents happen. Sucks getting doo doo all over your hands. Allot more to add but will let others chime in. Enjoy RVing.

Bearcatrp said:
Does your truck a built in trailer brakes? If so, your covered. After hooking up, test the breaks as your leaving. Adjust so they grab real good. If your truck doesn?t have one built in, don?t cheap out and buy the cheapest out there. As mentioned above, Wally World will have most items allot cheaper. Camp close to home as mentioned above so you don?t have far to drive to get stuff your forgot. After a few times out, go further. After a few trips out, unless you have power jacks, you will get tired of hand cranking the level jacks and tongue jack. Get a cordless drill with proper size socket. Electric tongue jack isn?t needed at first but after the 1st year, you will want one. Get 5 2x6 boards about a foot long. Place them under each jack and tongue jack. When it rains and your on grass or dirt, they sink in. I observed and asked questions at rev sites of other folks set ups. Allot of friendly folks in camp sites and they are glad to share information. I learned about the water filter 2nd trip out when I started. Get them at Walmart. Get the one that has the flex extension, then refills after that. Rubber gloves!!! When messing with the dump hoses, little accidents happen. Sucks getting doo doo all over your hands. Allot more to add but will let others chime in. Enjoy RVing.

Thanks!

We do have integrated brakes :)

We also have some plates to put under the jacks on our amazon list :).  Some rubber gloves are an excellent idea!  Didn't even think about that.  Probably wouldn't have until after I learned a lesson the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom