Slide In Camper How to know if SQUARE & LEVEL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddog348

"Of All the things I've ever lost  ~ I miss my Mind the MOST ~~ Need help or a swift kick in the ....

Have a 2006 Toyota Tundra double cab. SR5, 4.7 gas ~ 6'6" bed  ~ spray in bedliner.  ~~~~  Bought 2017 4WheelCamper "Hawk" Shell Dec. 18,2017 [Factory installed date of purchase. 965#+batteries+2 10#propane]  No 110v ~ no water ~  no potty ~ no etc,etc, Pretty much nekkid,  Camper 'rests' on side to side 1x4's for & aft of wheel wells rear most 7" in from rear end of camper. 1/4" between camper sides and tail gate opening.. 1 hand thickness camper bottom and floor of truck [I am old  my hands are not very thick] Camper sides ride about 1' above sidewalls bed of truck.

Had  BF Goodrich ~ All Terrain lt625/70r16 "E" Apr/2018 ~ Firestone Ride RiteAir Bag pkg installed Oct 2017

Only taken on a few trips as Work in Progress.  built side to side bed platform below cab/camper window,  Storage under, Campsite leveled as needed with wood blocks ~ never a problem, Carry water bottles ~~ Use Thetford 135 Feb this year.

OK Earlier this year noticed camper 'listing' toward driver side. Unit is usually parked in backyard. OK OK  Know backyard not FLAT & Level ~ BUT Driver side rear of camper 2-3 inches lower than Passenger side. Measuring from bottom of 'Jack' bracket to ground.  Air bag a little low on that side.  Pumped up to 30# ea waited few days down again. Took back tire shop a couple pf times ~ new lines. Still not good  ~ Put new 'pod on driver side.  WAITING. A little low but could be the yard.

Also at the last measures RT,RR., turnbuckle a little loose. ~ NEVER ~ Loose before  ~~ Connected or coincidence  WHat do I measure now. Is this normal.  Is this Usable??  ~~ HELP.  If can't be helpful ~~  Please be Kind.  K

That is a pretty light weight slide on, pop top camper so I wouldn't expect the Tundra to be over loaded.

About the turnbuckles, if you don't have lock nuts on them they do loosen up over time. 

Assuming the frame of the camper is not collapsing (measure from the top of the roof to the bottom of the camper) it sounds like you have a suspension/air bag problem. 

Drive the rig to a level spot and remake the measurements you made when you found the rig out of level to verify if there really is a problem.

ASTravelers ~ Thanks for the fast reply.  Finding a level spot is not as easy as it sounds OR I am just pickey. Think the levelest spot I have access to is the cement pad my Itasca sits on.  Will take a day and do a double shuffle and re-measure  I.E. take MH out of Parking pad [see sig] in back yard ~ park on gravel ~ Take TC out of Backyard park it on MH pad. Re-Measure .[ Hope no more EQ happens when all unbuttoned].. Move all back to own parking space.

Thanks again  Kate

OK  Yesterday I parked the TC on MHparking pad ~ see sig.  Truck bed rides +- 1 1/2" lower on Driver rear ~~ whether facing East to West OR West to east. A little less at front of bed.  Camper came with Batteries;Propane;Furnace /compartment all Rear of driver side.  No other builds.  Could that contribute to the lean??.    ??Shocks??

Got truck back from Tire shop hour ago all new pods & lines 50#  air each pod.  Still high on passenger side.  Can it be leveled with the air in the pods.??

Thanks for your intrest and your time.  K

OH Lord..... Just got back from [trash] scales.  Personally HATE scales.  Toyota says BOTH GVWR & Towing weight for this beast is 6600 . Driver +1 dog + mock up load 6620 [3/4+tank gas].  DO I take him out and shoot him or try to find 300# of ??? to take out. 

Thanks for all your help ~ Back to square ONE.  Not sellin' my truck ~ Not sellin' my camper ~~ Gotta nice piece of YardArt. ~~ K

Back
Top Bottom