Crazy Semi Driver!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Hi, Thought I would post this and get some feed back. I have quite a bit of respect for semi drivers and have found the vast majority helpful when RV'n. I reciprocate and try to extend the same curtsies I receive. Today I ran into the exact opposite.

Anyway I turned on a by pass. There is an acceleration lane over the bridge that lets traffic travel under the by pass. There was a semi trucker in the lane so I moved over into the next lane then saw he was out on foot so started to move over to the next lane. I was half way or a lane and a half and he threw something at me, hit the windshield and broke it. Crack up and down the far left driver side. I stopped and called 911 because I wanted him to be dealt with. He was throwing things out at other cars and trucks also. As I was waiting, he started up so I moved forward I caught a stop light and he pulled on my right side. I lowered the window and he claimed I swerved at him (I didn't do that) I asked him what was wrong with him. Light changed and I called 911 again. They told me there was a police officer car up ahead and to stay in my car and pull behind him.

The cop went back and forth and talked to both of us. His assessment was it was my word against his word. I asked if it was acceptable for him to throw things at cars? He told me that the trucker was willing to pay for it and would send a cashiers check in the mail to me. I said how do I know he will do that at all? So the officer said he would write it up but not file it unless the trucker didn't send me a check. Since he has both of our information I could pursue it in court.

I think it could be a bad idea for this guy to have access to my personal information and I assume that since I don't have his he doesn't have mine. I figured I could have him pay the insurance company and they could issue me a check to fix the windshield. This is my tow vehicle so want it fixed before We camp anywhere. Thought about taking grandkids out this week but will delay until things are back into shape. There are some weird people out there. I just want this documented so if he ever does anything like that again they will see it on his record. Pursuing it in the courts would punish me as well as him but in some cases I am willing to when I think it is appropriate.

For this reason, I have a dash mount video camera.
And another looking out the trailer rear window....

MtnGoat said:
For this reason, I have a dash mount video camera.
And another looking out the trailer rear window....

My very first thought.....

I would also want the report filed ASAP and file under the insurance.

Did you get the name of the trucking company, and/or truck and trailer numbers? If you did, I would be contacting them. I hope it's a decent company like the one I work for because they would be having a serious discussion with the driver, and make sure you were compensated.

camperAL said:
Hi, Thought I would post this and get some feed back. I have quite a bit of respect for semi drivers and have found the vast majority helpful when RV'n. I reciprocate and try to extend the same curtsies I receive. Today I ran into the exact opposite.

So for all practical purposes, this police officer took it upon himself to be judge and jury? Way beyond the pale IMO. I'd want to have all of his information as well.

jymbee said:
So for all practical purposes, this police officer took it upon himself to be judge and jury? Way beyond the pale IMO. I'd want to have all of his information as well.

Agreed - Way beyond the police officers duty to make sure you get a check.  Very odd way to settle this from the officer's perspective.  He/She should be onto other affairs.  Following up on what could take weeks seems like a poor decision.

I would agree, I think the LEO blew you off. I would contact the LEO agency and demand to speak to a supervisor. Without documentation this incident NEVER HAPPENED.  It is not the officers job to determine what the eventual outcome may be, only to report the facts and move on. 

On another mentioned topic, I have a dash cam in the RV and toad, and don't move either one without it being on and recording.  Cheap insurance, just for situations like yours.

Arch Hoagland said:
Interesting....I've been researching dash cams all this past week. 

Guess I better get on the ball and buy one.

Just remember to disable the mic. Dont ask me why...

Hi,

At first the LEO just wanted me to take the word of the trucker would send me a cashier's check. He said he could file an offical report or the trucker could send me a check. I said there was no way I would trust this guy to do that. I could be on the hook for the damage. Had I been a driver that panicked, having something thrown at you could have caused a reaction that could have involved other cars or trucks and possibly caused a serious accident or death.

I think the LEO was simply trying to mediate a compromise so things would go back to normal, but I see this as being necessary to document this incident so law enforcement can see this guys past. I also think if he would do this, he might do other rash things that could cause serious injury/damage in the future. My inaction could be responsible for this. Trucker said he had it on dash cam but I think he was trying to scare me away (it would show him throwing the object and hitting me then right) dash cam would have had to see to the right of truck and back just a bit. Officer was right it was my word against his word. I am more mad that I have to deal with something senseless like this.

The officer has the information of the trucking company, since this was not filed yet I don't have a copy. I appreciate all comments and was hoping to see former law enforcement comments (many thanks). I have thought about contacting the Indiana State Police and talking with them. Don't want to go over the local city police but since this happened on a state route felt it might get better support for what happened.

Unless you can get a copy of the officers un-filed report, you are probably out of luck.  All you can give the staties is a hard luck story - you don't have anything to back it up. You can probably get the entries from the 911 call to show you did request police help, but that's about it.  It's pretty clear the local LEO didn't want to mess with the conflicting statements about what happened.  I think SargeW's advice is the best if you want to pursue it. Otherwise, just file an insurance claim for the damage and get on with life.

Yeah, there are a lot of newcomers to truck driving that have only modest skills and tendency towards aggressive driving and behavior. The "knights of the road" days are gone forever, I think.

You didn't say what state you were in when this happened, but as an example, throwing an object at a vehicle in Ca is at least a misdemeanor, and possibly a felony depending on what was thrown.  Different states may have different Vehicle Code laws though.  The fact that the officer suggested that the trucker was willing to pay for the damage is an admission of guilt by the trucker.  The LEO handled it poorly.

Hi Sarge,

I'm in northern Indiana and have lived here most of my life. After having had some time to think about this (sleeping helps you refresh your thoughts) I think the trucker acted very inappropriately and childish. He stated a couple of things that I think showed guilt and worry. One was I have this on dash cam (I doubt it could have seen on the side of his truck). This happened just before I passed his rig and I took the hit just before the cab. Two he stated he had a good lawyer which I think was trying to keep me from going after him legally. His willingness to pay was his cheap way out.

Today went to my insurance office and they are going to call the trucker and fax him the estimates or what ever it takes. They are going to hide my information. They are going to have him send the check to them, they'll cash it under their name and then issue me a check to keep my name out of it. I have a gut feeling if this guy finds out my full name, I could expect trouble from him or his friends. My gut feeling is never wrong and when I have ignored it in the past bad things have happened. Since we do RV, I would hate to have a house sitting exposed to a person like this. I do have good neighbors who keep an eye out for me but everyone sleeps. I can handle things if I am home. I tend to agree at this point that the officer could have done more and should be concern with the truckers future actions. That is my main concern.

The deal with the LEO was if I get a check, he doesn't file the incident, letting the trucker off the hook. I get my car fixed and the behavior is not noted anywhere. I think I mentioned he threw things at other cars and trucks. I was the one who received damage. When I was moving over to give him a margin of safety, I thought he would be happy that I cared for his safety but was rewarded with the item that broke my windshield.

I appreciate your comments here very much!

Wow! Had you reacted differently to this jerk's actions, somebody could have easily been hurt or killed. In my opinion, a vehicle is a deadly weapon and he doesn't seem equiped mentally to handle the responsibility.

Greetings,

I don't want to continue this saga (sure people are bored at this time), figure enough has been said, but will chime in when I get paid to fix the windshield to let people know the ultimate outcome. The insurance company sent the trucker estimates (without my name listed on it) and said he was cooperative and was sending the check. Insurance will call me when they get it. Bothers me to have to replace an original piece of the car, not to mention the time this all takes. The trucker is getting off lucky in my opinion. My sister wondered if he was "ON" something. I would think the officer would have caught on if he was. Best and thanks for the concern. This did put a dent in our wanting to do a campout with the grandkids.

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

now to the O/P  You do not want the trucker to have your personal info. but .. If the LEO write it up an files it then your info will be part of that report.. and the Trucker has a right to a copy of the report. YOUR info included.. So that's a now win.

Beyond that I have no comment save you did the right thing by buzzing the fuzz.  Since the windshield is broken it is a bit more than your word / his word... But I am not sure the addition of the stupid crack (WIndshield) is enough to carry the day.

Arch Hoagland said:
Law Enforcement Officer.

You mean a cop? This LEO thing isn't very precise; I reckon it includes not only coppers but dog catchers, building code inspectors, jailers, those people in Philadelphia who boot cars with unpaid parking tickets etc.

Back
Top Bottom