rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Crazy Semi Driver!  (Read 1713 times)

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
Crazy Semi Driver!
« on: July 09, 2019, 05:40:22 PM »
Hi, Thought I would post this and get some feed back. I have quite a bit of respect for semi drivers and have found the vast majority helpful when RV'n. I reciprocate and try to extend the same curtsies I receive. Today I ran into the exact opposite.

Anyway I turned on a by pass. There is an acceleration lane over the bridge that lets traffic travel under the by pass. There was a semi trucker in the lane so I moved over into the next lane then saw he was out on foot so started to move over to the next lane. I was half way or a lane and a half and he threw something at me, hit the windshield and broke it. Crack up and down the far left driver side. I stopped and called 911 because I wanted him to be dealt with. He was throwing things out at other cars and trucks also. As I was waiting, he started up so I moved forward I caught a stop light and he pulled on my right side. I lowered the window and he claimed I swerved at him (I didn't do that) I asked him what was wrong with him. Light changed and I called 911 again. They told me there was a police officer car up ahead and to stay in my car and pull behind him.

The cop went back and forth and talked to both of us. His assessment was it was my word against his word. I asked if it was acceptable for him to throw things at cars? He told me that the trucker was willing to pay for it and would send a cashiers check in the mail to me. I said how do I know he will do that at all? So the officer said he would write it up but not file it unless the trucker didn't send me a check. Since he has both of our information I could pursue it in court.

I think it could be a bad idea for this guy to have access to my personal information and I assume that since I don't have his he doesn't have mine. I figured I could have him pay the insurance company and they could issue me a check to fix the windshield. This is my tow vehicle so want it fixed before We camp anywhere. Thought about taking grandkids out this week but will delay until things are back into shape. There are some weird people out there. I just want this documented so if he ever does anything like that again they will see it on his record. Pursuing it in the courts would punish me as well as him but in some cases I am willing to when I think it is appropriate.
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
Re: Crazy Semi Driver!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 05:56:52 PM »
Where is Paul Harvey when you need him?
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

MtnGoat

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 07:07:24 PM »
For this reason, I have a dash mount video camera.
And another looking out the trailer rear window....

USN VN - Aircraft Mech - IT Eng - Ret
2500HD - Springdale 242

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 08:38:03 PM »
For this reason, I have a dash mount video camera.
And another looking out the trailer rear window....

My very first thought.....

I would also want the report filed ASAP and file under the insurance.
2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

To be 1/2 the man my dog thinks I am...But twice the man My wife thinks I am...

rbrdriver

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 09:03:34 PM »
Did you get the name of the trucking company, and/or truck and trailer numbers? If you did, I would be contacting them. I hope it's a decent company like the one I work for because they would be having a serious discussion with the driver, and make sure you were compensated.
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
 2019 Keystone Alpine 3700FL 42'
Visalia, CA area
Truck Driver 40 Years +

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 09:18:49 PM »
Hi, Thought I would post this and get some feed back. I have quite a bit of respect for semi drivers and have found the vast majority helpful when RV'n. I reciprocate and try to extend the same curtsies I receive. Today I ran into the exact opposite.

So for all practical purposes, this police officer took it upon himself to be judge and jury? Way beyond the pale IMO. I'd want to have all of his information as well.
Wandering in our 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C Class A

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 09:57:38 PM »
Interesting....I've been researching dash cams all this past week. 

Guess I better get on the ball and buy one.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

KandT

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 10:00:45 PM »
So for all practical purposes, this police officer took it upon himself to be judge and jury? Way beyond the pale IMO. I'd want to have all of his information as well.

Agreed - Way beyond the police officers duty to make sure you get a check.  Very odd way to settle this from the officer's perspective.  He/She should be onto other affairs.  Following up on what could take weeks seems like a poor decision.
2019 Ford F250 6.7 Deisel Crew Cab
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD - SOLD
American Car Dolly - SOLD
2009 Accord Toad - SOLD
Figuring out my next purchase.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 10:48:27 PM »
I would agree, I think the LEO blew you off. I would contact the LEO agency and demand to speak to a supervisor. Without documentation this incident NEVER HAPPENED.  It is not the officers job to determine what the eventual outcome may be, only to report the facts and move on. 

On another mentioned topic, I have a dash cam in the RV and toad, and don't move either one without it being on and recording.  Cheap insurance, just for situations like yours.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

MtnGoat

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 11:49:01 PM »
Interesting....I've been researching dash cams all this past week. 

Guess I better get on the ball and buy one.

Just remember to disable the mic. Dont ask me why...
USN VN - Aircraft Mech - IT Eng - Ret
2500HD - Springdale 242

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 01:05:40 AM »
Hi,

At first the LEO just wanted me to take the word of the trucker would send me a cashier's check. He said he could file an offical report or the trucker could send me a check. I said there was no way I would trust this guy to do that. I could be on the hook for the damage. Had I been a driver that panicked, having something thrown at you could have caused a reaction that could have involved other cars or trucks and possibly caused a serious accident or death.

I think the LEO was simply trying to mediate a compromise so things would go back to normal, but I see this as being necessary to document this incident so law enforcement can see this guys past. I also think if he would do this, he might do other rash things that could cause serious injury/damage in the future. My inaction could be responsible for this. Trucker said he had it on dash cam but I think he was trying to scare me away (it would show him throwing the object and hitting me then right) dash cam would have had to see to the right of truck and back just a bit. Officer was right it was my word against his word. I am more mad that I have to deal with something senseless like this.

The officer has the information of the trucking company, since this was not filed yet I don't have a copy. I appreciate all comments and was hoping to see former law enforcement comments (many thanks). I have thought about contacting the Indiana State Police and talking with them. Don't want to go over the local city police but since this happened on a state route felt it might get better support for what happened.
CamperAL (Indiana)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 08:16:09 AM »
Unless you can get a copy of the officers un-filed report, you are probably out of luck.  All you can give the staties is a hard luck story - you don't have anything to back it up. You can probably get the entries from the 911 call to show you did request police help, but that's about it.  It's pretty clear the local LEO didn't want to mess with the conflicting statements about what happened.  I think SargeW's advice is the best if you want to pursue it. Otherwise, just file an insurance claim for the damage and get on with life.

Yeah, there are a lot of newcomers to truck driving that have only modest skills and tendency towards aggressive driving and behavior. The "knights of the road" days are gone forever, I think.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »
You didn't say what state you were in when this happened, but as an example, throwing an object at a vehicle in Ca is at least a misdemeanor, and possibly a felony depending on what was thrown.  Different states may have different Vehicle Code laws though.  The fact that the officer suggested that the trucker was willing to pay for the damage is an admission of guilt by the trucker.  The LEO handled it poorly.
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 08:35:39 PM »
Hi Sarge,

I'm in northern Indiana and have lived here most of my life. After having had some time to think about this (sleeping helps you refresh your thoughts) I think the trucker acted very inappropriately and childish. He stated a couple of things that I think showed guilt and worry. One was I have this on dash cam (I doubt it could have seen on the side of his truck). This happened just before I passed his rig and I took the hit just before the cab. Two he stated he had a good lawyer which I think was trying to keep me from going after him legally. His willingness to pay was his cheap way out.

Today went to my insurance office and they are going to call the trucker and fax him the estimates or what ever it takes. They are going to hide my information. They are going to have him send the check to them, they'll cash it under their name and then issue me a check to keep my name out of it. I have a gut feeling if this guy finds out my full name, I could expect trouble from him or his friends. My gut feeling is never wrong and when I have ignored it in the past bad things have happened. Since we do RV, I would hate to have a house sitting exposed to a person like this. I do have good neighbors who keep an eye out for me but everyone sleeps. I can handle things if I am home. I tend to agree at this point that the officer could have done more and should be concern with the truckers future actions. That is my main concern.

The deal with the LEO was if I get a check, he doesn't file the incident, letting the trucker off the hook. I get my car fixed and the behavior is not noted anywhere. I think I mentioned he threw things at other cars and trucks. I was the one who received damage. When I was moving over to give him a margin of safety, I thought he would be happy that I cared for his safety but was rewarded with the item that broke my windshield.

I appreciate your comments here very much!
CamperAL (Indiana)

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 09:57:22 PM »
Who's this Leo guy?

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 10:02:28 PM »
Who's this Leo guy?

Law Enforcement Officer.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
    • rvmama6 blog
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 12:49:11 AM »
Wow! Had you reacted differently to this jerk's actions, somebody could have easily been hurt or killed. In my opinion, a vehicle is a deadly weapon and he doesn't seem equiped mentally to handle the responsibility.
Amanda
Mommy to 6 great kids who love camping and traveling
Aug 1, 2019- began our 10 month cross country trip
2015 Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 30.2 aka "home" 
2010 35ft Springdale bunkhouse TT
2001 Jayco Pop-up
https://rvmama6.home.blog/

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 01:38:23 AM »
Greetings,

I don't want to continue this saga (sure people are bored at this time), figure enough has been said, but will chime in when I get paid to fix the windshield to let people know the ultimate outcome. The insurance company sent the trucker estimates (without my name listed on it) and said he was cooperative and was sending the check. Insurance will call me when they get it. Bothers me to have to replace an original piece of the car, not to mention the time this all takes. The trucker is getting off lucky in my opinion. My sister wondered if he was "ON" something. I would think the officer would have caught on if he was. Best and thanks for the concern. This did put a dent in our wanting to do a campout with the grandkids.
CamperAL (Indiana)

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 06:22:39 AM »
LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

now to the O/P  You do not want the trucker to have your personal info. but .. If the LEO write it up an files it then your info will be part of that report.. and the Trucker has a right to a copy of the report. YOUR info included.. So that's a now win.

Beyond that I have no comment save you did the right thing by buzzing the fuzz.  Since the windshield is broken it is a bit more than your word / his word... But I am not sure the addition of the stupid crack (WIndshield) is enough to carry the day.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 07:34:56 AM »
Law Enforcement Officer.

You mean a cop? This LEO thing isn't very precise; I reckon it includes not only coppers but dog catchers, building code inspectors, jailers, those people in Philadelphia who boot cars with unpaid parking tickets etc.

Velociraptor

• ---
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 08:56:44 AM »
Same type of deal just happened to us. Guy rear ended my wife and then rear ended her again when they went to pull over up the road.  Police were called but in Houston noi tickets are given per Houston Police unless impairment, severe damage, etc.  Got his insurance information, drivers license copy, etc and filed claim with his insurance (All State). Now All State wont pay because the driver wont answer the phone to admit fault and we dont have a filed incident report from Houston Police.  Finally just got my insurance (State Farm) involved and they fixed car less my deductible.  They are going after guy and I will get deductible once the recover money.

The fact no official report is filed is bull$hit and causes the damaged individual nothing but headaches.

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 08:58:29 AM »
I think that the term LEO is more respectful than cop.  I also suspect that most of them would agree.

I think that the term has been adopted from within the ranks of law enforcement.

Just my opinion.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 12:18:22 PM »
Hi HueyPilotVN,

Your right, I prefer to say officer or LEO, but I did say cop in my original statement. I meant no dis respect with that term. We sometimes forget the danger involved in their jobs dealing with all types of people. They see all kinds of terrible things. Seems any more that if they have to defend themselves their damned if they do and damned and possible dead if they don't. The few times I have been involved with police officers, they have been professional and made a less than perfect time reasonable. I know there are a handful doing the job that mess up or simply shouldn't be in the job. Figure if you make them get upset get the adrenalin going they are apt to react quick as they have to make a judgement call. Do as they say and you'll probably be just fine (if your not a trouble maker). I have had two members of my family in law enforcement, worried about them during the time they were. In my opinion they don't get paid nearly enough to keep the peace!!!
CamperAL (Indiana)

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 01:06:00 AM »
Since we kinda drifted a bit on the topic, I will add that I have heard of 2 explanations of the orgin of "cop".  One was a slang developed in the 1800's due to town Sheriff's wearing badges made from copper, and the other was from an older English term derived from the local "Bobbys" known as "Constable On Patrol".  Not sure if either one has any basis in fact. But the term never bothered me. I can say that I have been called a whole lot worse.  Kind of makes me difficult to offend with verbal attacks.
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 10:43:09 AM »
Greetings,

The trucker contacted my insurance company today and said he needed another week before he could get the check out. Our agreement was 10 days and today is the tenth day. I am going to talk to the officer on Monday and get his input. I will need an incident report filed before I can run this through insurance. At least the trucker contacted the insurance company but could be stalling this out and my patience grows thin. It will only cost me $100 deductible to get things fixed so will give things a little time and thought before I act. Thought people might want to know what is going on.
CamperAL (Indiana)

cerd

• ---
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 12:58:07 PM »
You mean a cop? This LEO thing isn't very precise; I reckon it includes not only coppers but dog catchers, building code inspectors, jailers, those people in Philadelphia who boot cars with unpaid parking tickets etc.
"Law Enforcement" is pretty specific.

Animal control typically just takes care of animals. If there is an animal cruelty case, its usually the police that handle that.

Building inspectors don't usually report anything more if parts of the construction pass or fail. The most they can do themselves is issue a cease and disist to your work if you don't have a permit and sometimes the local law enforcement will issue a fine for not having a permit.

Jailers and police are not always the same. In many areas of the country, jailers are confined to a few specific duties, so they don't need much formal law enforcement training, nor do they need to know many laws because the inmates have already been cited for crimes.

I think parking enforcement is typically done by the police in a city, but they may contract out if they don't have the people to spare. Private facilities that require parking enforcement usually have their own security guards and those ones usually have no jurisdiction beyond people parking where they shouldn't or investigating vandalism/tampering/theft. They can't usually do anything if they see something besides report it to the police.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:01:18 PM by cerd »
1990 Chevy G30 Gulfstream Ultra Class C
350TBI

KandT

• ---
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 03:12:06 PM »
I am wondering if anything progressed on this case from the OP??
2009 Accord Toad - SOLD

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 04:22:51 PM »
I am wondering if anything progressed on this case from the OP??

Look two replies above yours...
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 05:20:47 PM »
I tend to support the Constable On Patrol origin of COP.

If he told your insurance company he was sending a check.. You might wish to let their lawyers deal with it... After all. they pay them big money to do that kind of thing.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

KandT

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2019, 07:48:06 PM »
Look two replies above yours...

Thanks - This is a very odd way for this to be handled.  I dont think this would be handled this way in Pennsylvania.  Seems like the police do their job and the lawyers and judges do theirs.  I wonder what the LEO's plan is if the driver doesn't pay?
2009 Accord Toad - SOLD